Steering Issue at 1300 Miles - Failed Track Bar Mount

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m going to add proximity entry. Didn’t realize how much I wanted it until I didn’t have it. May do paint matched flares but that’s still up in there. Gunna stay with billet silver.
+1 for this. I didn’t have them on my sport but made sure to add it to my Rubi. I missed it way more than I expected.
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Supposedly, their are markings on the frames that indicate the build date. Unfortunately, I do not know where the markings are or how to decipher them. I’m sorry.
I'm sure some of us will be googling to try and find that information.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Update time.....

I’ve been given approval, from a rep working my case, to talk about what’s been going on.

As you may know, I’ve been in contact with a rep from FCA since the Monday after this occurred, thanks in large part to @chevymitchell. I had my Jeep towed to TriCity Dodge and a rep from Tower met me there. He had it the mount welded back to the frame that day. Had an alignment the next day and was told it was fixed and I could come pick it up.

It didn’t sit well with me that it was “fixed” as quickly as it was and I voiced that concern to my FCA rep. He asked that I give him a few days to discuss it with the rep from Tower as well as the service manager at TriCity.

The FCA rep called me back a few days later and offered to buy back or replace my Jeep at no cost to me outside of MSRP differences. By the time this happened, the 2018 order bank had closed so I am now waiting on the 2019 bank to open. I am also fighting the price increases as I cannot see how I should be responsible for MSRP increases if all options are the same.

As of right now, FCA has been very accommodating with my requests and I expect them to be with the MSRP issue as well.

I hate that I’m having to go several months without a Jeep but I’m glad to see FCA step up and do the right thing.
Thanks for the update.

What MSRP was on your sticker? The MSRP has been raised twice during the 2018 model year. Isn’t the MSRP $1,000 higher now than at release? Plus the destination was increased.

Wonder how much MSRP will increase for 2019 with the addition of BSG and 48V battery. Afraid to ask.

Edit: just read the 2019 press release and no mention of eTorque on the 3.6. Yes! I didn’t want the BSG.

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m thinking of cancelling my order. It’s starting to make me very afraid of driving it.
The steering issue and Jeep’s lack of attention is troubling.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking of cancelling my order. It’s starting to make me very afraid of driving it.
They’ve put out a service bulletin regarding the welds and steering. They have (supposedly) quarantined the affected frames. They are taking my issue and others like mine seriously. There is a track bar reinforcement bracket available for $100.

There was a time when I think FCA may have downplayed the issues. But, with the NHTSA getting involved and the service bulletins being released, I feel good about the direction FCA is taking with this.

With that said, only you can make the call on what to do. I just know I’ll be back in a Jeep as soon as mine gets built and won’t think twice about it.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t see the service billetiin for the steering. I’ll have to look for that.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
It's certainly your call on what you decide to do, as you are the one that is spending the money. And, I have read several of your posts, and many have been about concerns for this and that. While I understand why you have them...can I suggest one thing. If you are going to let them influence your decision that much, I would recommend staying off of the forums of any future vehicle you may be considering buying. I don't care what vehicle it is, some are going to have some major issues. Especially if it's a new model year. But by in large, most of the JL's have been great. Very few are going to get on a forum...especially in the issues section...and say...."Mine is great...no issues."

This section doesn't make me regret my decision at all, it just makes me more aware of things to just occasionally check or notice, and what the fix was if they show up. That's really it.

Just my opinion.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
that's exactly how I feel, my 2dr JLR is as close to PERFECT as you can get and WELL worth the 44K I spent forit--

AUTO FORUMS aren't for "HAPPY CAMPERS" they're for discussions of PROBLEMS/ideas/compliments and reasons-

If you compare the number of MAJOR PROBLEMS to the actual NUMBER of JLs bought--it's immaterial--

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
You don't need to cancel your order .

After your order comes in , you can decide whether to accept it . In the meantime , you can line up a weld expert to inspect your welds , and you can test drive at highway speeds to check the steering issue .

Don't cancel needlessly , you may end up with a flawless one .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
my 2dr JLR is as close to PERFECT as you can get and WELL worth the 44K I spent for it--

AUTO FORUMS aren't for "HAPPY CAMPERS" they're for discussions of PROBLEMS/ideas/compliments and reasons-
If you compare the number of MAJOR PROBLEMS to the actual NUMBER of JLs bought--it's immaterial--
Good luck
W.E.
JIMBO
Your 2-door is perfect because it is a 2-door . Notice the problems are all about 4-doors ?

On the steering survey , 82% have 4-doors , and 42% have big steering problems . You were wise to get the 2-door .

(They did charge you too much , however , because they raised their gouge price . They should have charged you merely 24K .)

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's certainly your call on what you decide to do, as you are the one that is spending the money. And, I have read several of your posts, and many have been about concerns for this and that. While I understand why you have them...can I suggest one thing. If you are going to let them influence your decision that much, I would recommend staying off of the forums of any future vehicle you may be considering buying. I don't care what vehicle it is, some are going to have some major issues. Especially if it's a new model year. But by in large, most of the JL's have been great. Very few are going to get on a forum...especially in the issues section...and say...."Mine is great...no issues."

This section doesn't make me regret my decision at all, it just makes me more aware of things to just occasionally check or notice, and what the fixz was if they show up. That's really it.

Just my opinion.

This section doesn't make me regret my decision at all, it just makes me more aware of things to just occasionally check or notice, and what the fix was if they show up. That's really it.

Just my opinion.
i really want it. But it scares me. My husband said to wait and we will extensively test it when it cones
You don't need to cancel your order .

After your order comes in , you can decide whether to accept it . In the meantime , you can line up a weld expert to inspect your welds , and you can test drive at highway speeds to check the steering issue .

Don't cancel needlessly , you may end up with a flawless one .
True. My husband said I read too much.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
i really want it. But it scares me. My husband said to wait and we will extensively test it when it cones

True. My husband said I read too much.
I read all the time whilst I still have my eyesight . Your husband is correct to wait and extensively test it . New Yorkers have luck , and the best apple cider .

If it is flawless , your husband will be driving it all the time , and you will need to take it away from him sometimes so you can drive it also .

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read all the time whilst I still have my eyesight . Your husband is correct to wait and extensively test it . New Yorkers have luck , and the best apple cider .

If it is flawless , your husband will be driving it all the time , and you will need to take it away from him sometimes so you can drive it also .
Ha ha. Yes it’s Apple picking time.