Steering Issue at 1300 Miles - Failed Track Bar Mount

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Is that a yellow or green mark on the bracket? Looks like it was inspected and passed or was repaired?
Inspected 2018 JL 2 door and didn't notice any issue. Not sure what this all means. Received
ordered vehicle July 12. In my case the x mark was in white. I'm assuming it was inspected.

weld 2.JPG
Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Any updates on the repairs?

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates on the repairs?
Itā€™s welded back together but still sitting at the dealership. I havenā€™t even been back to look at it.

Not sure how much I can say, but FCA is taking care of me.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Itā€™s welded back together but still sitting at the dealership. I havenā€™t even been back to look at it.

At 1,300 miles trackbar mount basically falls off frame, I would have asked for a new replacement vehicle. Who knows what else wasnā€™t welded correctly and who knows what theyā€™ll need to take apart, i.e. disassemble, to check said welds.

Kevin, aka LiteBrite, was one of the first to report the stiff steering at high speed and hot weather. He got a new Wrangler as a result. We now know their fix was a firmware re-flash. A trackbar mount that falls off Iā€™d say is a much more serious mechanical problem.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Ordering another one?

Sponsored

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Update time.....

Iā€™ve been given approval, from a rep working my case, to talk about whatā€™s been going on.

As you may know, Iā€™ve been in contact with a rep from FCA since the Monday after this occurred, thanks in large part to @chevymitchell. I had my Jeep towed to TriCity Dodge and a rep from Tower met me there. He had it the mount welded back to the frame that day. Had an alignment the next day and was told it was fixed and I could come pick it up.

It didnā€™t sit well with me that it was ā€œfixedā€ as quickly as it was and I voiced that concern to my FCA rep. He asked that I give him a few days to discuss it with the rep from Tower as well as the service manager at TriCity.

The FCA rep called me back a few days later and offered to buy back or replace my Jeep at no cost to me outside of MSRP differences. By the time this happened, the 2018 order bank had closed so I am now waiting on the 2019 bank to open. I am also fighting the price increases as I cannot see how I should be responsible for MSRP increases if all options are the same.

As of right now, FCA has been very accommodating with my requests and I expect them to be with the MSRP issue as well.

I hate that Iā€™m having to go several months without a Jeep but Iā€™m glad to see FCA step up and do the right thing.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Update time.....

Iā€™ve been given approval, from a rep working my case, to talk about whatā€™s been going on.

As you may know, Iā€™ve been in contact with a rep from FCA since the Monday after this occurred, thanks in large part to @chevymitchell. I had my Jeep towed to TriCity Dodge and a rep from Tower met me there. He had it the mount welded back to the frame that day. Had an alignment the next day and was told it was fixed and I could come pick it up.

It didnā€™t sit well with me that it was ā€œfixedā€ as quickly as it was and I voiced that concern to my FCA rep. He asked that I give him a few days to discuss it with the rep from Tower as well as the service manager at TriCity.

The FCA rep called me back a few days later and offered to buy back or replace my Jeep at no cost to me outside of MSRP differences. By the time this happened, the 2018 order bank had closed so I am now waiting on the 2019 bank to open. I am also fighting the price increases as I cannot see how I should be responsible for MSRP increases if all options are the same.

As of right now, FCA has been very accommodating with my requests and I expect them to be with the MSRP issue as well.

I hate that Iā€™m having to go several months without a Jeep but Iā€™m glad to see FCA step up and do the right thing.
Glad to hear.
Did the rep from Tower say that the issue was dealt with at the welding plant?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Update time.....

Great to hear FCA is doing right by you. I decided against a 2018 and was seriously reconsidering a JL all together based on some of the reports of how FCA and dealers have treated some folks with problems. It's results like yours that give me confidence to buy another FCA product. 2019s order banks should open soon so it's not too bad. Staying with your original order or are you thinking of changing up colors or options?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great to hear FCA is doing right by you. I decided against a 2018 and was seriously reconsidering a JL all together based on some of the reports of how FCA and dealers have treated some folks with problems. It's results like yours that give me confidence to buy another FCA product. 2019s order banks should open soon so it's not too bad. Staying with your original order or are you thinking of changing up colors or options?
The main thing is you are ok and werenā€™t killed.
Hopefully no one will be.
I was hesitant on the JL too but ordered a 2018 because I wanted Mojito. Iā€™m hopeful there wonā€™t be any weld issues. Iā€™m going to inspect as best I can. But itā€™s good to hear they are doing the right thing. That is reassuring.

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m going to add proximity entry. Didnā€™t realize how much I wanted it until I didnā€™t have it. May do paint matched flares but thatā€™s still up in there. Gunna stay with billet silver.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear.
Did the rep from Tower say that the issue was dealt with at the welding plant?
I canā€™t say where I got the information, but Iā€™ve been told FCA has narrowed the issue down to frames built in November 2017. With that said, I do not have ā€œon the recordā€ info about it.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I canā€™t say where I got the information, but Iā€™ve been told FCA has narrowed the issue down to frames built in November 2017. With that said, I do not have ā€œon the recordā€ info about it.
I wish that was translated to when those frames were intsalled on vehicles. No one that I know of, is able to date the manufacture of their frame.

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wish that was translated to when those frames were intsalled on vehicles. No one that I know of, is able to date the manufacture of their frame.
Supposedly, their are markings on the frames that indicate the build date. Unfortunately, I do not know where the markings are or how to decipher them. Iā€™m sorry.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right. Secret code located in a secret place. Maybe.
Well hopefully they arenā€™t using those frames?
That seems like a no brainer. I mean theyā€™ve replaced a few vehicles already for this track bar issue.
If I was a towwe rep I would isolate those frames and destroy them before something really bad happens that results in someoneā€™s demise and a huge lawsuit.
Sponsored