Sponsored

Steering Issue at 1300 Miles - Failed Track Bar Mount

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Looks like the robot missed the alignment of the weld completely. All the weld is on the mount. It never appeared to be on the frame in that location.

If you turn your wheels left and right while in park, does that mount move back and fourth like it’s completely separated from the frame?
Sponsored

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the robot missed the alignment of the weld completely. All the weld is on the mount. It never appeared to be on the frame in that location.

If you turn your wheels left and right while in park, does that mount move back and fourth?
I haven't tested that yet. But when I was turning into my neighborhood last night, the front end would make a popping/clanking sound if I turned sharply to the right.

I'm not home at the moment, but I'll test it out and let you know when I get home.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
I haven't tested that yet. But when I was turning into my neighborhood last night, the front end would make a popping/clanking sound if I turned sharply to the right.

I'm not home at the moment, but I'll test it out and let you know when I get home.
From the picture you posted it looks like the front (outer) weld is separated, the front-side underneath weld is separated, and perhaps the backside weld and the weld behind the bracket tucked away behind the steering box may be still holding the bracket in place?

In other words, the bracket should have welds on all 4 sides which attach it to the frame. Two we can see. The other two may have saved you from total loss of steering.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I crawled under the Jeep this morning and found the track bar mount looking like this. I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to steering components but that doesn't look quite right.

IMG_9721.JPG
Hello. First off, sorry for your misfortune and glad things didn't get uglier when you lost your steering. Is that grey area above the mount look to you like where a weld once was? I ask because that is just about the location of the weld holding that mount on my Jeep, at least for now. The welds on it don't inspire confidence.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Hello. First off, sorry for your misfortune and glad things didn't get uglier when you lost your steering. Is that grey area above the mount look to you like where a weld once was? I ask because that is just about the location of the weld holding that mount on my Jeep, at least for now. The welds on it don't inspire confidence.
Does it appear the OP’s mount has pulled away from the frame when comparing it to your Jeep? I do wonder if it flexes under load and that gray area is where the mount was once attached and now it’s flexing and rubbing that outside area. Maybe that’s not possible if the other welds are secure unless the mount is fractured. Is it possible that faulty welds are allowing the mounts to flex away from the frame resulting in fractured mounts?

So many people complaining of wandering and dead spot steering. Could that be a symptom of a flexing track bar mount?

Does your mount have the gap (where it curves) under the frame that appears in the OP’s pic?

For reference, the bar we see at the bottom is the sway bar and not the track bar? Is that correct?

It would be helpful if another member could post a pic from the same angle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
WOW! The robot totally missed the weld zone. It welded the top of the bracket and looks like there was no attachment to the frame. This build date was way after the incidents were first brought up to the quality dept. Someone is NOT doing their job in inspection.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what is quite evident from the picture and angle from the OP.

Steering_Issue_at_1300_Miles.jpg
After seeing that, it would definitely be wise to have the other welds inspected too.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
WOW! The robot totally missed the weld zone. It welded the top of the bracket and looks like there was no attachment to the frame. This build date was way after the incidents were first brought up to the quality dept. Someone is NOT doing their job in inspection.
Yep, the weld bead is 100% on the front of the bracket, nothing on top. The worn looking grayish color where the top bracket weld bead should be is likely from moving back and forth before it broke... or, there was a weld bead there and it has totally cracked off from the bracket shifting slightly upwards over and over again.

Sponsored

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, the weld bead is 100% on the front of the bracket, nothing on top. The worn looking grayish color where the top bracket weld bead should be is likely from moving back and forth before it broke... or, there was a weld bead there and it has totally cracked off from the bracket shifting slightly upwards over and over again.
Ok. Thank you for the explanation. Either possibility makes sense to me.

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I added his twitter and facebook links above.
Pretty sure I found him on here.

@brandonh

Maybe between threads here, Brandon (if you're willing), social media, and complaints with NHTSA we can get FCA to actually take care of this lack of quality control before someone is hurt or killed.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what is quite evident from the picture and angle from the OP.

Steering_Issue_at_1300_Miles.jpg
What is that that you have marked as cracked on the left of the photo? I can't identify it on my Jeep. Thanks.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What is that that you have marked as cracked on the left of the photo? I can't identify it on my Jeep. Thanks.
It's the weld bead on the front of the track bar bracket. There are 4 welds holding the bracket onto the frame, a long bead in the front (missing on OP's track bar), long one in the back beside the steering box, and two shorter welds on either side underneath the frame rail. The cracked one that's seen in the picture is the front-side, underneath weld. You'd have to slide under the Jeep and look up with a flashlight to really see it well.

Attached is that weld on mine. It looks the way it does because there was an attempted re-weld from FCA.

20180809_130944.jpg

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's the weld bead on the front of the track bar bracket. There are 4 welds holding the bracket onto the frame, a long bead in the front (missing on OP's track bar), long one in the back beside the steering box, and two shorter welds on either side underneath the frame rail. The cracked one that's seen in the picture is the front-side, underneath weld. You'd have to slide under the Jeep and look up with a flashlight to really see it well.

Attached is that weld on mine. It looks the way it does because there was an attempted re-weld from FCA.

20180809_130944.jpg
Got it. Thanks!

Here's a photo of the inboard side of my bracket. I'm assuming (hoping) that the small curved piece forward (to the lower right) of the welded portion is not supposed to be welded?

jeep_mount_2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: