Sponsored

Steering Issue at 1300 Miles - Failed Track Bar Mount

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Another interesting point...the engineer drove overnight from Michigan to be here and repair the Jeep. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it seems like they were in a mighty big hurry...
Yeah, that’s pretty crazy when you think about it.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
How the hell did he get a new one? They seem content on rewelding the track bar mount on mine and giving it back.

See posts #50. rboss wrote he filed claim with nhtsb.

See post #408 about his replacement vehicle.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-like-i’m-cursed-with-my-new-jl.6979/page-28

He also has a youtube channel. Edit: the youtube channel is lite brite but that might not be rboss. Might be someone else who got a replacement for another reason. Steering lockup?

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I hope everyone has seen one of the very first NHTSA complaints. Sounds like a whistle blower trying to blow his/her whistle but was anyone listening?

March 3, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11076098
Components: UNKNOWN OR OTHER

NHTSA ID Number: 11076098

Incident Date February 25, 2018

Consumer Location CLARKSTON, MI

Vehicle Identification Number N/A

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

SENT TO TOWER IN PLYMOUTH MI TO WELD JEEP FRAMES THAT ROBOT WAS NOT WELDING CORRECTLY. TOLD TO JUST COVER THEM UP AND THEY WILL JUST PAINT FRAMES. TOLD THEY HAVE TO MEET THEIR PRODUCTION NUMBERS. I WOULD NOT DRIVE OR WANT ANYONE ELSE TO DRIVE ONE OF THESE.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
I headed out and checked my bracket weld. Where the OP bracket weld was too low and missed he frame, mine was too high and missed the bracket. Hard to see clearly at night, I’ll have to take a better look tomorrow. 90% of that outside fillet weld is missing the bracket.

18CC4656-3D27-40F5-AA27-64674926F8B3.jpeg

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I headed out and checked my bracket weld. Where the OP bracket weld was too low and missed he frame, mine was too high and missed the bracket. Hard to see clearly at night, I’ll have to take a better look tomorrow. 90% of that outside fillet weld is missing the bracket.

Oh crap! Plus there’s clearly some kind of inspection marking on the bracket.

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development

Who hired these robots? And the bigger question is why are they drinking on the job?

Seriously though that's pretty much crap. The line under that outer track bar weld is the bracket top lip edge. I don't think you have to be a welder to see the penetration and coverage is severely lacking.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban

Whoah you can't drive that thing! I would be at the dealership's front door first thing in the morning! And the fact that someone actually "INSPECTED" that weld!? Seriously!?

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, when reporting to sites like NTSB or NHTSA is there an option to attach photos? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, when reporting to sites like NTSB or NHTSA is there an option to attach photos? A picture is worth a thousand words.
Yes. You can upload up to 5 pictures when filing a complaint on the NHTSA website. The gentleman I spoke with at NHTSA is also requesting that the original files (pictures and videos) be submitted to him. I'll be doing that shortly.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I know I'm a first time poster and a lot of the loyalists will dismiss it which is par for the course on a forum.

Bottom line FCA better get it's head out of the sand and get ahead of this. It's time to pass down our Legacy 6spd to my son, the requirements my wife has for next vehicle is that its a manual, AWD and fun. I've had 2 Jeeps in the past and I though a Wrangle would be perfect with a bonus of being a convertible to top it off.

Glad I came to these forums, no way I'm putting my kids and wife in one of these until a long time has past without a report of one of these weld failures.

People have posted the Subaru recall, except they stepped up, found the problem, admitted it and are replacing those vehicles.
So you joined this forum to troll ? Maybe you should buy a Subaru and leave the Jeep forum for those who actually own a JL.

Reactions: VNT

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
So you joined this forum to troll ? Maybe you should buy a Subaru and leave the Jeep forum for those who actually own a JL.
Your response was predicted. I didn't know this forum required ownership to join. I've been reading this forum for about a month now researching mods etc.. as I was planning on buying one until I found the weld issue threads.

If you consider it trolling- tuff get over it, I provided a perspective from a possible buyer and previous owner of Jeeps.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
As some of you know I had bad welds on my JLU sport. I've gone through 2.5 months of headaches with Jeep Cares, and Mike Manley's office, and even spoken to people at the plants. Today I finally made some headway and wanted to share with others who might have similar issues (welds, trackbar, steering, etc). I was given to my Local Regional Office's Customer Relations Manager for FCA. After talking to him twice he offered a reasonable plan that I am satisfied with. They are taking care of me. So as long as the plan comes to fruition all should be good again. He is also going make it so dealers are allowed to see my current JL again to have the trackbar bracket checked.

The Manager asked that I refrain from posting too much for details until this is completed but did say that if others are having similar problems to ask your dealers to put your in contact with one of the other Regional Office Customer Relations managers (there are 9 regions) and this should expedite your process. Even though we contacted Mike Manley's office at corporate, he said that it still would have eventually ended up in his hands. Hopefully the contacts you get to in your region are as helpful as the one I have reached.

I will post an update when things are complete.

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
On my vehicle, its clearly a manufacturing (weld) defect, and while the bracket welds as a group look intact visually for now, I have low confidence that they will be adequate with increased miles/ usage and exposure to our North East winter environment. Going to keep my eye on it and crawl under and check the test of the welds tonight after work.
Sponsored