Sponsored

Steering Getting Worse! Dealership Wont Help!

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I've been having really loose steering for a while. Took it to a dealership in Glendale, CA and told them about the problem, also sighted the thread on here about the fix. They took the Jeep for 3 days, then returned it without doing any work, told me it was fine. It's starting to not feel safe to drive!! What should I do?
Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Print out the TSB, go to a different dealership, and quote them the specific symptoms. The TSB says "if the customer describes the above symptoms, perform the work"

The fact that they had it for 3 days is ridiculous. I took my Jeep in yesterday to order the parts for the TSB and they had my Jeep for 20 minutes.
Just to clarify, I'm fortunate that I don't have any issues with my aluminum box (though I am chasing down other steering problems), I just want the steel box before I send it off to get ported for hydro assist.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Definitely time for a new dealership. Good advice to print out the TSB, just in case. I didn't need to because my service adviser knew about it and just scheduled me when I asked.

You can get @JeepCares to help. They were very helpful for me when I needed it.

Have you checked the other components for tightness, etc? Alignment specs?

Good luck.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Also be aware that the personnel working the service counter may be clueless. I handed her the TSB and then had to explain it to her. Ask to speak to someone more competent if you feel like you're not getting the answers you want.

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely time for a new dealership. Good advice to print out the TSB, just in case. I didn't need to because my service adviser knew about it and just scheduled me when I asked.

You can get @JeepCares to help. They were very helpful for me when I needed it.

Have you checked the other components for tightness, etc? Alignment specs?

Good luck.
There's another dealership in the area I might try. I don't want to go back to Glendale again.

Thanks for looping in JeepCares. If they can help that would be great.

I started with other components first. I have even replaced some upgraded steering parts because I was worried that might be the source, but everything is new and solid. The box is the only thing left.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Also be aware that the personnel working the service counter may be clueless. I handed her the TSB and then had to explain it to her. Ask to speak to someone more competent if you feel like you're not getting the answers you want.
They guy at the service counter actually seems really competent and friendly at first. We shot the shot about jeeps for a while and I told him about the problem. Then when I came back to pick up my jeep, he did a total 180, "not my problem". He said the techs said it was fine, and just because I knew about the TSB didn't mean that he had to fix it. Gave no excuse why he had to take it for 3 days, then I had had an appointment to drop it off with him the first place!

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Doing a TSB is a lot of extra work for the dealership from a paperwork perspective. The service manager has to submit a written report to FCA describing the problem. If he screws up the report, FCA denies the TSB, and either he has to do the report all over again, or simply deny the customer the fix. My guess is that is what happened to you.

I'm lucky that I have an excellent and persistent dealership that actually enjoys selling, and servicing Jeeps. Initially I had them install the 2" Mopar Factory Lift. I do have my own shop, with my own mechanics, and I am a mechanic myself, but doing it in my shop does not come with a factory warranty :)
After the lift was installed there were definitely steering issues. First thing was to confirm alignment. It was definitely within spec. Next step is to verify the steering damper. Mine was in upside down so it had to be bled and reinstalled. That helped quite a bit. Next step was to replace the track bar with the updated part. That helped as well. Last step in the process was to remove the aluminum steering box, replace it with the steel one, and reconfirm alignment. Once complete all was right with the world. Now it drives like a Jeep.
Steering box was replaced while the Jeep was in for the bubbling paint at the door hinges. Ended up having to get all 4 doors done.
Total time to complete all of these items, 6 days. Total cost to me $1,800.00 CDN, including tax, and that was for the 2" Mopar Factory Lift ... everything else was no charge.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I've been having really loose steering for a while. Took it to a dealership in Glendale, CA and told them about the problem, also sighted the thread on here about the fix. They took the Jeep for 3 days, then returned it without doing any work, told me it was fine. It's starting to not feel safe to drive!! What should I do?
Did you get the Steering TSB done? If you did not, then please read on. This happened to me too here on Long Island last month when my dealer took my Jeep in for four days and returned to me without doing anything (just plain unacceptable behaviour). I got @JeepCares involved and took the Jeep to a different dealership also. The other dealership tried a little to jerk me around also but thanks to @JeepCares being involved, I am getting my new steering box on March 27th. The box has arrived at the dealership as of last week and I immediately had set up the appointment for the 27th.

Here is my thread on similar issue: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-his-test-drive-shows-ok.66444/#post-1405987

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
As other have said, print out the TSB. When I first went to them they had no idea about the TSB. The service foreman did a test drive with me for 20 mins... he came back and said it drove fine and consistent with what he has been used to in a jeep wrangler. However with the print out in hand, they couldn't push back on the work and decided they order the parts.

Through my conversation with the foreman, he said I'm the first customer coming in with this TSB (thus there were no cars ahead of me waiting for this fix). Currently there is a back order on this part and dealer allocation is 1 steering box per 14 days. Thus my advise is see how many cars are in queue waiting for this part because it could be a lengthy wait time. Look for a dealership with a shorter wait time is beneficial. My box took 7 days to arrive even though I was 1st in line... took them 5 hours to complete the job.

My car came back a bit off center but was able to adjust the drag link myself in a parking lot and now my OCD calm down a bit. Overall it too about 2 weeks from initiation to completion.

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get the Steering TSB done? If you did not, then please read on. This happened to me too here on Long Island last month when my dealer took my Jeep in for four days and returned to me without doing anything (just plain unacceptable behaviour). I got @JeepCares involved and took the Jeep to a different dealership also. The other dealership tried a little to jerk me around also but thanks to @JeepCares being involved, I am getting my new steering box on March 27th. The box has arrived at the dealership as of last week and I immediately had set up the appointment for the 27th.

Here is my thread on similar issue: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-his-test-drive-shows-ok.66444/#post-1405987
Thanks 631! I have not had that TSB done yet. Just made an appointment with a new dealership. Thats so crappy that you got dicked around too! Glad @JeepCares was able to help. Hopefully It doest have to come to that with his new dealership for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
As other have said, print out the TSB. When I first went to them they had no idea about the TSB. The service foreman did a test drive with me for 20 mins... he came back and said it drove fine and consistent with what he has been used to in a jeep wrangler. However with the print out in hand, they couldn't push back on the work and decided they order the parts.

Through my conversation with the foreman, he said I'm the first customer coming in with this TSB (thus there were no cars ahead of me waiting for this fix). Currently there is a back order on this part and dealer allocation is 1 steering box per 14 days. Thus my advise is see how many cars are in queue waiting for this part because it could be a lengthy wait time. Look for a dealership with a shorter wait time is beneficial. My box took 7 days to arrive even though I was 1st in line... took them 5 hours to complete the job.

My car came back a bit off center but was able to adjust the drag link myself in a parking lot and now my OCD calm down a bit. Overall it too about 2 weeks from initiation to completion.
Great Advice Calvin, Thank you!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The TSB was issued first in 07/2020. There were two updates to it, with the last one issued on 10/2020.

From what I recall, the original plan was to stock up on new steering boxes and issue a voluntary “campaign” —code speak for “recall”— in Q1 of 2021 for affected 2018-2020 JLs.

Q1 came and went and I still haven’t seen anything from FCA.

Yes, FCA got bought out by —ehem...merged!— PSA in Q1, but one would think these corporations should be able to walk and chew at the same time. My guess is the voluntary recall fell through the cracks during the “merger.”

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Doing a TSB is a lot of extra work for the dealership from a paperwork perspective. The service manager has to submit a written report to FCA describing the problem. If he screws up the report, FCA denies the TSB, and either he has to do the report all over again, or simply deny the customer the fix. My guess is that is what happened to you.

I'm lucky that I have an excellent and persistent dealership that actually enjoys selling, and servicing Jeeps. Initially I had them install the 2" Mopar Factory Lift. I do have my own shop, with my own mechanics, and I am a mechanic myself, but doing it in my shop does not come with a factory warranty :)
After the lift was installed there were definitely steering issues. First thing was to confirm alignment. It was definitely within spec. Next step is to verify the steering damper. Mine was in upside down so it had to be bled and reinstalled. That helped quite a bit. Next step was to replace the track bar with the updated part. That helped as well. Last step in the process was to remove the aluminum steering box, replace it with the steel one, and reconfirm alignment. Once complete all was right with the world. Now it drives like a Jeep.
Steering box was replaced while the Jeep was in for the bubbling paint at the door hinges. Ended up having to get all 4 doors done.
Total time to complete all of these items, 6 days. Total cost to me $1,800.00 CDN, including tax, and that was for the 2" Mopar Factory Lift ... everything else was no charge.
How did you arrive at the conclusion that the paperwork is the reason for TSB denial? That's ridiculous and bullshit.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What is being done to the doors to address the bubbling paint, and were you satisfied with the results? Just curious. I've seen the issue mentioned several times on this forum, and want to have the intel in my back pocket in the event that I have to pursue the same. TIA.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
How did you arrive at the conclusion that the paperwork is the reason for TSB denial? That's ridiculous and bullshit.
Choose your words carefully. Don't even pretend to tell me what I do and do not know.

The TSB cases have to be worded in such a way as to get FCA to sign off on them. The Steering box TSB is quite simple really as all it entails is the customer's specifically worded complaint that checks off all the right boxes. In my case I said at low speed it wanders all over the road. As speed increases steering gets stiffer and it's not quite as bad, but you still can't take your eyes off the road. That, and prior attempts at other remedies, was enough for FCA to sign off on the fix.

On the paint situation the body shop manager had to meticulously document the issue, complete with pictures and measurements. The first time around he wasn't thorough enough. The second time, with additional information, it went through.
Sponsored