Sponsored

Steering Gear Replacement where is my part? 2020 JLU

pinktoes1218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Is anybody else having issues with Jeep obtaining the parts to replace the faulty steering gear? There is a service bulletin on it and my car has now been sitting on the lot for 2 months waiting for the part.

I am beyond upset now. I haven't even owned this Jeep for a year and I feel like this wait is beyond excessive.
Sponsored

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
Sorry to hear and I know how you feel.
While mine isnā€™t for the steering box, I did have to wait more than a month for the part that was on backordered. I think FCA prioritizes supplying parts to the factory (so they can keep up with demands) more look after us customers.
By the way, my JLU S manual has been at the CDJR for now 44 days out of 55 days since I took the delivery.
Have you tried @Jeep Cares? Mine did somehwhat help getting the original ETA for parts moved up from Febā€™21 to 10/18/20.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Why has it been sitting on the dealer's lot for two months? I don't think there's any reason it's not perfectly drivable with the old box, unless you've got some other issue that renders yours undrivable. That said, I feel your pain on backordered parts.

My experience with this TSB was completely different. Took my 2 door Rubicon in to my dealer on October 7th to have a radio issue addressed- asked them to do the steering box TSB. Somehow, they acutally had the two door box on the shelf, and I got it installed the very next day, no questions or issues. Huge improvement.

OP
OP
pinktoes1218

pinktoes1218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Why has it been sitting on the dealer's lot for two months? I don't think there's any reason it's not perfectly drivable with the old box, unless you've got some other issue that renders yours undrivable. That said, I feel your pain on backordered parts.

My experience with this TSB was completely different. Took my 2 door Rubicon in to my dealer on October 7th to have a radio issue addressed- asked them to do the steering box TSB. Somehow, they acutally had the two door box on the shelf, and I got it installed the very next day, no questions or issues. Huge improvement.
I would call it far from 'perfectly drivable'! Maybe yours wasn't the same but there is a large dead spot in the wheel, probably 45degrees each way, it drifts in right hand turns, and it jitters at highway speeds.

With the amount of play in the wheel its not safe to negotiate rush hour and highway traffic in (people are crazy here).

I wish they were able to fix it as quickly as yours was fixed. I am really missing my Jeep.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Is anybody else having issues with Jeep obtaining the parts to replace the faulty steering gear? There is a service bulletin on it and my car has now been sitting on the lot for 2 months waiting for the part.

I am beyond upset now. I haven't even owned this Jeep for a year and I feel like this wait is beyond excessive.
One dealer said they get them in 48 hours, the one I went to says 1-2 months. I took my Jeep home the same day and await the call.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well that sucks.

Thereā€™s a shortage of those parts. But 2 months of your Jeep sitting at the dealership is completely unacceptable.

My guess is either your dealer has no pull with FCA getting these parts, or the dealer is not taking you seriously. Two months is just ridiculous.

If you havenā€™t already, you need to involve @JeepCares . If you have and nothing came out of it, you need to raise some hell.

Try talking to the Service Manager.

Good luck.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
My 2018 has been waiting since 10/9. I got my case elevated via JeepCares back on 11/19. They still don't have an ECD on part availability despite my case getting "priority".

Fortunately mine is not so bad it's undriveable. It's just annoying. It does get to concerning levels of wander in the wind, but it's manageable because I seldom leave the house these days anyway.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I would call it far from 'perfectly drivable'! Maybe yours wasn't the same but there is a large dead spot in the wheel, probably 45degrees each way, it drifts in right hand turns, and it jitters at highway speeds.

With the amount of play in the wheel its not safe to negotiate rush hour and highway traffic in (people are crazy here).

I wish they were able to fix it as quickly as yours was fixed. I am really missing my Jeep.
Well that sucks.

Thereā€™s a shortage of those parts. But 2 months of your Jeep sitting at the dealership is completely unacceptable.

My guess is either your dealer has no pull with FCA getting these parts, or the dealer is not taking you seriously. Two months is just ridiculous.

If you havenā€™t already, you need to involve @JeepCares . If you have and nothing came out of it, you need to raise some hell.

Try talking to the Service Manager.

Good luck.
Thank you for tagging us, @aldo98229!

@pinktoes1218, Please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can look into this further.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Typically when you ask for the new steering box, you get in line behind other customers who asked before you. Because the part is so short due to new vehicles being made and the TSB which covers three years of Jeeps, a dealership can only order one or two boxes a month. If there are ten people in front of you...well, you can do the math.

I am having mine and my wifeā€™s steering box replaced. The dealership was up-front and told me it could be two months before my name comes up. Itā€™s been about seven weeks so I am expecting that call any day.

Sponsored

2FuegO9

First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped my JLU at the dealership today for the steering box. The part was ordered 2 weeks ago. Its staying over the weekend, supposed to be ready on Monday. Wish me luck!

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door

Did you ever get your Jeep back?