Sponsored

Steering gear box TSB, am I screwed? Need advice.

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
It absolutely did, and tightened up the steering A LOT. Very happy. I had to fight for it with my extended warranty to get it covered. It's worth it. @JeepCares please help this person. I know from experience how scary the wandering and clicking can be. Jeep needs to fix that.
Cause mine is making a clicking noise and didn't think anything of it until I read this, then I crawled under the jeep, and what do you know its coming directly from the box, I even have the synergy reinforcement and a tera flex stabilizer, and driving on 95 this past weekend was super scary, almost uncontrol able, and I was only going 65ish. I still have the "powertrain Warranty" which doesn't cover that, nor the Evap Code I'm getting which is listed under as a powertrain component! Appreciate your response and hopefully I can get some help on this "recall" @JeepCares
Sponsored

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
It absolutely did, and tightened up the steering A LOT. Very happy. I had to fight for it with my extended warranty to get it covered. It's worth it. @JeepCares please help this person. I know from experience how scary the wandering and clicking can be. Jeep needs to fix that.
Thanks!

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Sounds like the typical "warranty dance".. the first answer from the Warranty company always seems to be "nope, you are not covered"... then you read the warranty and push back, and then they seem to change their tune. Glad you got it taken care of. I just had mine done, and you are right.. what a difference it makes!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Cause mine is making a clicking noise and didn't think anything of it until I read this, then I crawled under the jeep, and what do you know its coming directly from the box, I even have the synergy reinforcement and a tera flex stabilizer, and driving on 95 this past weekend was super scary, almost uncontrol able, and I was only going 65ish. I still have the "powertrain Warranty" which doesn't cover that, nor the Evap Code I'm getting which is listed under as a powertrain component! Appreciate your response and hopefully I can get some help on this "recall" @JeepCares
Thanks for tagging us here, ZackMill. If you need assistance having the Steering TSB performed, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@JeepCares and FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care put the quality back in our Jeep experience. Fixed the wandering issue--with the first TSB that replaced the steering gear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ccjcc81

ccjcc81

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 1999 TJ Sport
@JeepCares and FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care put the quality back in our Jeep experience. Fixed the wandering issue--with the first TSB that replaced the steering gear.
Were you in the factory warranty period when you had yours done? I bought mine used right after the factory warranty period expired.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Complained to dealer day picked it up. "It's a Jeep Thing"....Followed up right at end of warranty. So yes, in warranty period.
It's worth a try. They are good people at @JeepCares

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The selling dealer refused to do the first TSB. That's why I reached out for help....work was done by another dealer recommended by FCA Jeep Canada Customer Cares. They followed up with that dealer, who did amazing work.

There's lots of ways that it can be done wrong.
* Don't do it at all
* Install wrong parts
* Don't do the re-flash
* Don't fill the pump reservoir
* Don't torque the pitman arm nut properly....
* spray steering fluid all over the engine hood and fenders.

Ours was done perfectly. However, there was a little vagueness on centre. Wandering was gone...and that was what made our Jeep unsafe. The TSB fixed it!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When we got our JLU, picked it up the selling dealer said that all TSB's had been done. Except this TSB came along later.

Surely that indicates that for safety reasons the TSB must be done.

The subsequent TSB's were better written and I believe the intent was to solve problems experienced with the work done by some dealers.

The TSB transformed our JLU. It's a 2019. Took the wander out. (Note--not death wobble. Wander.)

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'd hate to be in an accident and be questioned by insurance or lawyers whether my Jeep was safe to drive if the TSB wasn't complete.
It actually transformed the Wrangler JLU's handling on the highway. Much better; safer in our Jeep.

Sponsored

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Guys, I don’t know what to do. When we bought this JLUR it had 29,000 miles on it, it had the wandering and deadzone in the steering, and I didn’t know what caused it. It was stock when we bought it and we experienced the issues from day 1. I didn’t know about the TSB for the steering gear box until I did some research here and on other forums. I’ve since had installed a JKS Konnect 3” lift and 35” tires. When I discovered the TSB I called my local Jeep service shop in June 2012, and they said that despite the fact that the Jeep only had 32,500 miles on it, it was manufactured in May 2018, so it’s out of warranty. I asked them about the TSB and they told me that they would do it, but they would charge between $250 and $400 to do it because I was out of warranty. I told them I bought the MaxCare extended warranty from Carmax when I bought it, so they told me to take it to them and try to get it done cheaper. I dropped it off last night and got a call from the service manager at Carmax who told me that because I had a lift and 35” tires on the Jeep, MaxCare is going to void my warranty on any suspension and steering parts. I think I might now be past the 36,000 mile warranty as well, or very close to it. What can I do to get this fixed? I can’t afford to pay Jeep $1,500 to $2,000 to have this issue fixed, we have stretched our budget as tight as we can just to afford the monthly payment on this thing. We bought it for my wife, and she refuses to drive it if we go anywhere that requires exceeding 45mph, it scares the heck out of her with all the wandering. I don’t like it either, I have to saw at the wheel just to keep it straight at 70mph. So far, this has been the most regrettable vehicle purchase we have ever made. If I had known about this issue I never would have bought the Jeep. What should I do? Do you guys think @JeepCares can help us with this issue?

I really think Jeep is doing its customers a disservice by not classifying this issue as a Recall. I have a 99 TJ on a Dana 30 with 33” tires that drives as straight as an arrow. Jeep is releasing an “Extreme” version of the Rubicon with 35” tires and a similar lift from the factory to compete with Ford’s Bronco, and they didn’t put the faulty aluminum steering gear box in it, it of course has the cast steel box. I refuse to believe that a $60,000 2018 JL Rubicon with Dana 44s cannot handle a lift and 35” tires. Am I screwed here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I had some what of the same situation. But my dealership did it as a "good will" repair. I asked what are you talking about you sold me this vehicle knowing it had this issue plus FCA issued a tsb for a repair cause they know some are bad. That really changed their attitude and done.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
I'll piggyback off of this thread to give some recent anecdotes of starting the process to get this TSB performed. I recently picked up a preowned 2020 Sahara Unlimited (still under warranty), knowing full well about this TSB and the steering box. It's damn cold by me, and from what I gather, the steering with the aluminum box gets worse in warmer weather. So, while my steering is not currently horrible, it ain't perfect of course, and I'd like to get this TSB performed over the winter.

Reached out to Jeepcares on here, and they said to make an appointment with a dealer and then to keep JC in the loop. So, I call a few dealers in my area, and by and large, they know about the TSB, but say that they need to diagnose it.

Now, I did not want to be a know-it-all, and be confrontational on the phone when I am starting this process, so I play dumb for the time being. But we all know that the TSB says that if the customer describes the condition, perform the procedure. Yet here we are, in 2022, with Jeep service centers still playing a bit difficult with this TSB. I'll see how it goes, but I am hoping I don't waste my time only to be told that they can't replicate it and won't perform the TSB, compelling me to escalate, etc.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i really dont understand all the fear on this tsb. its a tsb. it shouldnt matter if its got 5 miles on it or 105000. i know ive read all the horror stories, but, seriously if your dealer gives you static go to another one. my other vehicle i just had a recal done at 270k miles they didnt bat an eye.
my jeep is having its 2nd box put in because the first one had so much play in it but i dealt with it because i didnt want to have the jeep down during vacation season. For the record, there is nothing the dealer needs to replicate, if you tell them its vague/has a nasty dead spot they are suppose to replace it, and do an alignment when done.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
i really dont understand all the fear on this tsb. its a tsb. it shouldnt matter if its got 5 miles on it or 105000. i know ive read all the horror stories, but, seriously if your dealer gives you static go to another one. my other vehicle i just had a recal done at 270k miles they didnt bat an eye.
my jeep is having its 2nd box put in because the first one had so much play in it but i dealt with it because i didnt want to have the jeep down during vacation season. For the record, there is nothing the dealer needs to replicate, if you tell them its vague/has a nasty dead spot they are suppose to replace it, and do an alignment when done.
TSB’s are not recalls. They are only performed at no cost when explicitly stated in the TSB or, like in this case, “within provisions of the warranty.”

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Sounds right.
TSBs are for how to fix it.
Customer Satisfaction Campaigns, Warranties, Recalls, address who's paying for it.

Don't let insurances or warranties wedge themselves between you and yours.
Sponsored