First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Dealer Name: Beaman Dodge Chrysler Jeep
City, State: Murfreesboro, TN
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 9/4/2020; 10/12/2020
Date Completed: Still in process
Did you buy your Jeep from this dealer: Yes
Your Jeep has suspension/tire modifications: Yes (Rock Krawler 2.5 lift; Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 315/70R17)
Dealer disputed the TSB (didn’t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): Yes
How likely is it you would recommend this dealer’s service department to a friend/colleague? Right now, a 3. Up until this issue, it would have been a 7-8. They have been dragging their feet on a cold steering issue since last year, also. Hopefully both will be taken care of by this. Edit to add: afternoon of 10/12/2020 Dealer is going ahead with repair. Parts will be ordered and once in, installed.
UPDATE: Call from my SA this morning, parts are in, scheduled for repair on 20 OCT 2020. They wanted to get me in as early as tomorrow morning, but my schedule precluded anything until the 20th.
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When I called my dealer about this TSB they told me that FCA was instructing the dealers to automatically replace the steering box if any steering related concerns were brought up. There isn't supposed to be a diagnostic test drive. If you complain about the steering(sloppy, drifting, pulling to one side) the dealer is supposed to get your VIN and order the part, that's it.

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
I had it completed last week. Not a word said about the 37s and 3.5in lift. The Jeep drives like a completely different vehicle now. I did buy it there so I’m not sure if that helped.
That's awesome. I also purchased mine from them. Did you mention anything before hand or just brought it in?

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Sting Gray
That's awesome. I also purchased mine from them. Did you mention anything before hand or just brought it in?
I just called them and gave them the TSB info and stated my steering was loose and had a dead spot that was amplified in the hot weather. They called me back a few minutes later and ordered the parts. I dealt with a service technician named Ed who was awesome. Fitzpatrick’s is easily the best dealership to deal with in the tri state area. For purchases and service.

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
I just called them and gave them the TSB info and stated my steering was loose and had a dead spot that was amplified in the hot weather. They called me back a few minutes later and ordered the parts. I dealt with a service technician named Ed who was awesome. Fitzpatrick’s is easily the best dealership to deal with in the tri state area. For purchases and service.
Thanks a million for the feedback. I was very happy with the purchase and sounds like service will be no worse. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Dealer Name: Tuttle Jeep

City, State: Irvine, CA

Date Taken In: September 23, 2020

Date Completed: Still at dealership

Did you buy your Jeep from this dealer: No

Your Jeep has suspension/tire modifications: No

Dealer disputed the TSB: No

How likely is it you would recommend this dealer’s service department to a friend/colleague? 10
I finally picked up my Jeep today after 3 weeks and it was brought to my attention in another thread that the dealership installed the steering gear for the 4 door!! I have a 2 door Willys. :crying: I am so sad I was anxiously awaiting my beautiful Jeep. I have to drive this thing until they order the correct one for me, is it safe to drive?? Thank god I posted a picture of my invoice here otherwise I never would have known they installed the wrong one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Fix TSB 08-074-20 Crowdsourced Dealership Survey. Add Your Experience. CFA44571-80FE-49A4-9644-5FAF6FA2E707

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I replied to your other post, as long as the box is torqued down correctly it will be safe to drive. You should be careful though as the 4dr has a different steering ratio which will make your steering "quicker" in your 2dr. Don't just drive it as normal until you get a feel for the new steering response, and get those knuckeheads to get the proper box ordered and installed ASAP!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I replied to your other post, as long as the box is torqued down correctly it will be safe to drive. You should be careful though as the 4dr has a different steering ratio which will make your steering "quicker" in your 2dr. Don't just drive it as normal until you get a feel for the new steering response, and get those knuckeheads to get the proper box ordered and installed ASAP!
I appreciate all your responses thank you! I will limit my long distance driving and drive slower. I’m very happy for you that your Jeep drives great now :) Not that many two doors I guess the dealerships don’t know what to do with us :LOL:

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Dealer Name: Ron Lewis CDJR
City, State: Cranberry Township, PA
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 10/16/2020
Date Completed: 11/6/2020
Dealer disputed the TSB (didn’t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): No
How likely is it you would recommend this dealer’s service department to a friend/colleague? 5

I stated the Jeep wandered at highway speeds during hot summer drives. It’s a little better now that the temps have dropped here now. Before I brought it in to the dealer, I removed my Fuel wheels and BFG KO2 35s and put the stock Rubicon wheels and tires back on. I printed out the TSB and had a copy on the drivers seat for the tech to review during the evaluation. The service advisor stated that my JLUR needs the steering gear replaced and the software flash. Have to wait to order parts (est 2-3 weeks). I expected that. I will report back when the repairs are complete.

ETA: The dealer completed the TSB today. They initially wanted to charge me 2 hrs of shop labor to remove and reinstall the Mishimoto Catch Can that I had added about 2000 miles ago. I complained and stated that it I will want to witness those two hours of work they are charging me for. I also stated that it only took me 30 minutes to install. And that I was taking my time doing it, surely an experienced tech can do it faster than me. In reality, it just needed to have the few screws holding it on the mounting plate removed and shifted out of the way. An hour later, the service advisor called me back and said he researched it and discussed it with management and decided they wouldn't charge me. They also failed to make any attempt at washing the spilled power steering fluid off of the undercarriage. It was a mess under there. I told them my expectation was it be returned to me in the same or better condition than when I dropped it off. It was spotless when I dropped it off. They took it back into the wash bay and made an attempt at washing the oil off. They installed the correct steering box, replaced all the screws and flashed the software. The steering wheel is also about 20 degrees off center. Ugh... I'll take care of that myself this weekend...

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally picked up my Jeep today after 3 weeks and it was brought to my attention in another thread that the dealership installed the steering gear for the 4 door!! I have a 2 door Willys. :crying: I am so sad I was anxiously awaiting my beautiful Jeep. I have to drive this thing until they order the correct one for me, is it safe to drive?? Thank god I posted a picture of my invoice here otherwise I never would have known they installed the wrong one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Fix TSB 08-074-20 Crowdsourced Dealership Survey. Add Your Experience. CFA44571-80FE-49A4-9644-5FAF6FA2E707
I called the service manager at Tuttle Irvine yesterday. Spoke with him and he wasn’t aware there was a different steering gear for the two door. He told me they are ordered by VIN and I was worried he wouldn’t believe me. He told me to drop the Jeep off today and to ask for him and they would look at it for my peace of mind. He put me in another rental and had the service tech take care of me. I’m just happy it’s getting the correct one this time let’s hope :fingerscrossed:

My service tech was great the 3 weeks my Jeep was with them getting the wrong one installed, daily updates which I never got at Premiere Jeep in Buena Park so I will be taking my Jeep to Tuttle Irvine from now on even though it’s 30 minutes further. I already decided before I had the wrong one installed that I would be going to them from now on for their great customer service. I guess two doors are so rare we end up confusing them :LOL:

Sponsored

LabNJeep

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLR, BMW X5
I called the service manager at Tuttle Irvine yesterday. Spoke with him and he wasn’t aware there was a different steering gear for the two door. He told me they are ordered by VIN and I was worried he wouldn’t believe me. He told me to drop the Jeep off today and to ask for him and they would look at it for my peace of mind. He put me in another rental and had the service tech take care of me. I’m just happy it’s getting the correct one this time let’s hope :fingerscrossed:

My service tech was great the 3 weeks my Jeep was with them getting the wrong one installed, daily updates which I never got at Premiere Jeep in Buena Park so I will be taking my Jeep to Tuttle Irvine from now on even though it’s 30 minutes further. I already decided before I had the wrong one installed that I would be going to them from now on for their great customer service. I guess two doors are so rare we end up confusing them :LOL:
Good to hear your dealership is taking care of you.

As another 2 door owner, would you know the part number for the 2 door vs 4 door? I was told to expect my part to be in next week myself so would like to verify the part number beforehand.

Thanks!!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear your dealership is taking care of you.

As another 2 door owner, would you know the part number for the 2 door vs 4 door? I was told to expect my part to be in next week myself so would like to verify the part number beforehand.

Thanks!!
Good luck with yours hopefully they’ll get yours right! I circled it in red. :like:

C9A739A9-3D2E-4083-B9DA-E8885DD14588.jpeg

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I will update this as time goes by...

Dealer Name: Autonation Jeep West
City, State: Denver/Golden, Co
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 9/8
Date Completed:
  • 09/08: Was told the box was ordered and it could be up to 6 weeks.
  • Update 09/24: called and they said they haven’t received any yet and that I could still be another 5-6 weeks.
  • Update 09/28: spoke with Jeepcares about what a reasonable time frame is and what could be done to expedite and was told:
  • Update 10/01: Called to talk to the service advisor (Daniel R). Hug up and redialed after waiting on hold for 22 minutes. Called back and the call rolled over to other departments 3 times. Gave up and called back 30 minutes later. Was told by the service advisor was on another call and they would call me back when off the call. An hour later I got a call back saying it's by 10 weeks. That's on top of the 3.5 I've already waited. Damn, Jeep service sucks.
  • Update 10/16: called the worthlessership and was told it could be an additional 2 months. Yeah, I’m going to start getting noisy about this.
Your Jeep has suspension/tire modifications: None other than on JTR wheels instead of the original JLUR
Dealer disputed the TSB (didn’t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): Nope, on the way to the dealership I took a video of the dead spot and there’s pretty much no arguing that it’s completely unreasonable. They had the jeep for 2 days and agreed it is eligible.
How likely is it you would recommend this dealer’s service department to a friend/colleague? Setting up the appointment was a very poor experience, but once I was there the agent was great... this was likely due to me getting cranky when I asked for them to confirm their notes (since I'd be dropping it off after hours). They reread the notes from the prior service and couldn't tell me why it was being brought it (after taking 10 minutes to describe the issue the first time).
Updated my original post.

I’ve been waiting 38 days at this point AFTER they determined there was an issue. I called today and was told another 2-3 months. @JeepCares told me they can’t do a single thing for me and I just need to deal with the dealership.

How the hell are people getting this taken care of same day and others have to wait 3-4 months. @JeepCares what good are you in helping owners if this isn’t an issue.

I was driving on the highway yesterday and there was a decently stiff side wind. I had trouble going 10 under while being passed by large SUVs going at least 20mph faster.

Attached is a video of the sloppy steering (not even going to call it play... just “slop”).

DDM4V7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Dealer Name: Gunter CDJR
City, State: Ridgeway, VA
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 10-9-20
Date Completed: N/A
Dealer disputed the TSB (didn’t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): Yes. Dealer insisted that a tech had to duplicate the issue in order for FCA to pay for the parts and labor. I gave them a copy of the TSB but it did not help. They insist the tech must be able to duplicate or find a problem.
How likely is it you would recommend this dealer’s service department to a friend/colleague? 0

Contacted Jeep Cares who then put me in touch with Chrysler Case Management. The case manager was not aware of the TSB but asked me for the TSB #, so she could do some research. Got back in touch with me a couple days later and verified the TSB did apply to my vehicle and that the dealer would be reimbursed for parts and labor. Problem is, according to my case manager, Jeep dealers are independent businesses and they can't be forced to do the work.

I now have two options; go to another dealer or I can pay for the parts and work myself and Chrysler will reimburse me. I think I'm going to try another dealer or two and see what happens. I bought the Jeep slightly used from a small town dealer a couple hours away. I may give them a try and see what they say over the phone.

Anyone have any dealer recommendations in the Greensboro, NC or Roanoke VA areas?

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Updated my original post.

I’ve been waiting 38 days at this point AFTER they determined there was an issue. I called today and was told another 2-3 months. @JeepCares told me they can’t do a single thing for me and I just need to deal with the dealership.

How the hell are people getting this taken care of same day and others have to wait 3-4 months. @JeepCares what good are you in helping owners if this isn’t an issue.

I was driving on the highway yesterday and there was a decently stiff side wind. I had trouble going 10 under while being passed by large SUVs going at least 20mph faster.

Attached is a video of the sloppy steering (not even going to call it play... just “slop”).
That sucks. Have you tried another dealer?
Sponsored