brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020jl and dealer said they will do it. I have very slight play. Is this worth it.. can I possibly make it worse? I ask bc I read that some guy it made it worse..
I have driven several hundred miles on the TSB this week and I must say it is a significant improvement in steering and mine wasn't that bad to begin with. It did wander/was vague on-center, and didn't give much feedback to driver. Completely different now and fun to drive again. FCA hit the mark with this. I would recommend getting it done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Engine Guy

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
So I got it done yesterday, but I'm not really happy with the dealership. Even though parts were in for it they wanted to waste most of the day trying to diagnose the problem. I once again showed him on the TSB that under diagnosis that it states that maintenance should be performed if the customer states that the issue is present. That only appeared to piss him off and he marched his service manager in there, who said he would back his service writer, and that they were following FCA policy. I was there for my 0730 appointment 15 minutes early, and before almost every other customer. I know that they started working on it fairly early too. Because the Uconnect app kept buzzing and telling me that it had just performed a successful scan. I know that they inflated my tires from 34 to 39, test drove it a few times, and even put it on the alignment rack. I feel like they were trying to get out of doing it. Finally at 3:30 in the afternoon they agreed to actually do the work. And didn't finish until 10 till 7. They did it correctly, right box, bolts, tightened to spec, and fluid topped off. But I don't know if I would recommend anyone else to go there.
Wow! That sounds painful... What would you like me to give them as a score?

OP
OP
Engine Guy

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Happy Friday Everyone!

I just updated the information. Overall the scores are really trending in the right direction. The percentage of disputed TSBs is down and the NPS values are really climbing. If these trends continue it will be quite a success story for Jeep and the dealers.

I have no idea if what we are doing is influencing this situation, but hopefully this data is helping...

Have a great weekend!

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Dealer Name: HARR Chrysler Jeep Dodge
City, State: Worcester, MA
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 9/17
Date Completed: 9/18
Did you buy your Jeep from this dealer: NO
Your Jeep has suspension/tire modifications: YES, 2ā€ Mopar, Dealer Installed
Dealer disputed the TSB (didnā€™t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): NO, Hesitant at first attempting to dismiss claim due to the lift, then stating they would have to run diagnostics before approval. Slight pushback on a rental despite first day coverage via Jeep Wave
How likely is it you would recommend this dealerā€™s service department to a friend/colleague? 10, one day turn around and pleasant service advisor.

Sponsored

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys
Dealer Name: Valenti
City, State: Mystic, CT
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 8/21/20
Date Completed: 9/9/20
Did you buy your Jeep from this dealer: Yes
Your Jeep has suspension/tire modifications: No
Dealer disputed the TSB (didnā€™t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): No
How likely is it you would recommend this dealerā€™s service department to a friend/colleague? 9
Scheduled service for Monday, they called and they needed the jeep another day because they didn't get to it. I called tuesday night and they still were not done. Finally finished it wed afternoon.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Dealer Name: Ken Ganley CDJR
City, State: London, OH
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 8/17
Date Completed: 9/15
Did you buy your Jeep from this dealer: No
Dealer disputed the TSB (didnā€™t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): No (initially wanted to keep for diagnosis and I pointed out TSB said they didnā€™t need to)
How likely is it you would recommend this dealerā€™s service department to a friend/colleague? 7 (service manager admitted they have a hard time getting ALL parts, not just those for the TSB)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@Engine Guy
Chip, need to amend my post.
Overall they got the job done but several hiccups along the way and some rather severe.
First the wrong box was ordered, they ordered the 4dr box for my 2dr JL. Not a big deal as they had the correct box in the next day (and I confirmed it was the correct one).

Got box installed, seemed to make a nice difference, steering was tight and w/ little play @ the wheel.

Went home and checked the job ( I never assume job is done properly, rather be safe than sorry)

Opened the hood and found missing power steering fluid cap, found missing cap resting on the side of the motor by battery area. power Steering fluid was at the proper level :)

Went to verify torque on steering box bolts (spec is 99 ft. lbs), box was just snugged to frame, probably in the 35-40 ft lb range. Had to torque all 4 bolts to 99 ft lbs. :(

Still haven't checked track bar & pinion nut torque, if the track bar checks ok I'll probably pass on the pinion nut as I don't have a 43 mm socket, and I will assume they put that beast on correctly w/ all 190 ft lbs applied :) If track bar is loose all bets are off!!!

The area worked on was left clean, and they got me in & out in a reasonable time frame. Really don't want to blow them up over this as I was the first one that they replaced. I'd say give them a 7 w/ room for improvement :)

With some follow up I'm very glad I got this done as it really is how this JL should have came from the factory!

OP
OP
Engine Guy

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
@Engine Guy
Chip, need to amend my post.
Overall they got the job done but several hiccups along the way and some rather severe.
First the wrong box was ordered, they ordered the 4dr box for my 2dr JL. Not a big deal as they had the correct box in the next day (and I confirmed it was the correct one).

Got box installed, seemed to make a nice difference, steering was tight and w/ little play @ the wheel.

Went home and checked the job ( I never assume job is done properly, rather be safe than sorry)

Opened the hood and found missing power steering fluid cap, found missing cap resting on the side of the motor by battery area. power Steering fluid was at the proper level :)

Went to verify torque on steering box bolts (spec is 99 ft. lbs), box was just snugged to frame, probably in the 35-40 ft lb range. Had to torque all 4 bolts to 99 ft lbs. :(

Still haven't checked track bar & pinion nut torque, if the track bar checks ok I'll probably pass on the pinion nut as I don't have a 43 mm socket, and I will assume they put that beast on correctly w/ all 190 ft lbs applied :) If track bar is loose all bets are off!!!

The area worked on was left clean, and they got me in & out in a reasonable time frame. Really don't want to blow them up over this as I was the first one that they replaced. I'd say give them a 7 w/ room for improvement :)

With some follow up I'm very glad I got this done as it really is how this JL should have came from the factory!
Hi!

Thank you for the update! Iā€™ll hit this first thing. I just got mine done and it is much better, although they goofed the alignment.

Now the fun begins as I can add a lift, knowing it drives straight.

Stay safe out there!

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Dealer Name: Billion Dodge Jeep
City, State: Sioux Falls, SD
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 9/18/20
Date Completed: 9/18/20
Did you buy your Jeep from this dealer: No
How likely is it you would recommend this dealerā€™s service department to a friend/colleague? 7

I was actually fairly certain that the dealership was going to claim that since they couldn't reproduce the wandering issues I was having they wouldn't do the work. They couldn't reproduce the wander, but it turned out that they had already fixed a couple and had the parts in stock so they just went ahead and fixed mine since I brought the TSB up.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Dealer Name:
Shelbyville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram

City, State:
Shelbyville, KY

Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work):
8/31/2020

Date Completed:
9/18/2020

Did you buy your Jeep from this dealer:
No

Your Jeep has suspension/tire modifications:
Yes but only Rubicon takeoff springs/shocks

How likely is it you would recommend this dealerā€™s service department to a friend/colleague?
10!

Not one issue, no resistance to doing the TSB at all. Completely friendly service department

When I went in for the diagnosis, I let them make money off me. I told them I wanted an oil change, air filter, and wipers. I figured that couldnā€™t hurt in helping me get no resistance. They warranted an interior door
panel too.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got a buddy w/ the 43mm socket so I will confirm it this weekend.

Kez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Tide (Punkā€™n)
Dealer Name: Gastonia CDJR
City, State: Gastonia, NC
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 08/15/2020
Date Completed: 09/18/2020
How likely is it you would recommend this dealerā€™s service department to a friend/colleague? 9

LizardBoy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2019 2.0L
Dealer Name: Dan Deery Motor Co.
City, State: Waterloo, Iowa
Date Taken In (for evaluation, not specifically to do the work): 09/01/2020
Date Completed: 09/19/2020 (had to wait for parts to come in and for a day I was free to take it in)
Dealer disputed the TSB (didnā€™t want to do or said did not apply, etc.): No.
How likely is it you would recommend this dealerā€™s service department to a friend/colleague? 10. I've owned two Tacomas previous to my Wrangler, all purchased from this dealer. Service is excellent and friendly. Rides or loaner vehicles are provided when needed. Also did a Jeep Wave oil change and tire rotation. No questions asked about the 5-tire rotation.
Sponsored