Sponsored

Steering Feels Loose and or Wander

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
The excessive wandering in the steering is likely caused by a low caster angle. The caster should be 5-5.8 degrees to have tight steering. Mine was 3 degrees. My dealership ordered adjustable control arms so they could get mine back in the 5 degree range. They also ordered a heavier duty steering stabilizer to go a step above. These two things will get your steering very tight and enjoyable to drive.
Same here. All my wandering problems were solved by installing adjustable LCA's and setting caster at 6 degrees.
Sponsored

Milous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
NUMBER: 0200319
GROUP: 02 Front
Suspension
DATE: June 21, 2019

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the front track bar.

NOTE: If the vehicle symptom/condition is described with a sustained shake or shimmy in
the steering wheel, as in the V41 recall, this bulletin should not be performed. Please
refer to any open CSN’s, RRT’s, and other service documentation for that concern.

MODELS:
2018 - 2019
(JL) Jeep Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: North
America, APAC and EMEA.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after October 15, 2017 (MDH 1015XX) and
on or before January 22, 2019 (MDH 0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe:
• Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Inspection Procedure.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: A test drive is required to verify that the symptom/condition listed above is the
customer concern. If a shake or shimmy is felt on the test drive this bulletin does
not pertain.
1. Does the vehicle wander and require constant small steering corrections?
• YES>>> Proceed to Step 1 of the repair procedure.
• NO>>> This Bulletin does not apply. Normal diagnosis should be performed.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 68394087AA Track Bar LHD
1 (AR) 68394094AA Track Bar RHD

OP
OP
crystalbackJL

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
My 2019 JL Rubicon is awesome.
Still a little bit of wandering steering but not as much as my JL Sport.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
NUMBER: 0200319
GROUP: 02 Front
Suspension
DATE: June 21, 2019

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the front track bar.

NOTE: If the vehicle symptom/condition is described with a sustained shake or shimmy in
the steering wheel, as in the V41 recall, this bulletin should not be performed. Please
refer to any open CSN’s, RRT’s, and other service documentation for that concern.

MODELS:
2018 - 2019
(JL) Jeep Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: North
America, APAC and EMEA.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after October 15, 2017 (MDH 1015XX) and
on or before January 22, 2019 (MDH 0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe:
• Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Inspection Procedure.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: A test drive is required to verify that the symptom/condition listed above is the
customer concern. If a shake or shimmy is felt on the test drive this bulletin does
not pertain.
1. Does the vehicle wander and require constant small steering corrections?
• YES>>> Proceed to Step 1 of the repair procedure.
• NO>>> This Bulletin does not apply. Normal diagnosis should be performed.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 68394087AA Track Bar LHD
1 (AR) 68394094AA Track Bar RHD
Is this a new part number for the track bar??

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Let me suggest open up your fuse box make sure all the fuse are seated properly you need to press down with force that might cure some problems but not the steering from what I understand there is a service bulletin to replace the steering arm damper or track bar what ever you would like to refer to as to fix the problem. My 19 JLUR has the same issue I replaced the Ko2's with km3's with only 30 miles on the clock it did help some it cured the rock throwing issue there actually very quiet for such a aggressive tread design my next step with 400 miles on it now is to get the track bar replaced hopefully that will cure the wandering issue will see !

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Let me suggest open up your fuse box make sure all the fuse are seated properly you need to press down with force that might cure some problems but not the steering from what I understand there is a service bulletin to replace the steering arm damper or track bar what ever you would like to refer to as to fix the problem. My 19 JLUR has the same issue I replaced the Ko2's with km3's with only 30 miles on the clock it did help some it cured the rock throwing issue there actually very quiet for such a aggressive tread design my next step with 400 miles on it now is to get the track bar replaced hopefully that will cure the wandering issue will see !
From my understanding a track bar is used to center the axle only not for adjusting wandering issues. Something wrong with your LCAs, minor fix cured mine.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
From my understanding a track bar is used to center the axle only not for adjusting wandering issues. Something wrong with your LCAs, minor fix cured mine.
I not sure what LCAs means. The new track bar has different bushing and it did help some from constantly having to correct the steering . Friday I had the v41 recall steering arm damper installed and that helped even more but there still is play in the steering wheel that I feel shouldn't be there . I'm glad a minor fix cured your so what is your secret ?

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I not sure what LCAs means. The new track bar has different bushing and it did help some from constantly having to correct the steering . Friday I had the v41 recall steering arm damper installed and that helped even more but there still is play in the steering wheel that I feel shouldn't be there . I'm glad a minor fix cured your so what is your secret ?
No secret the track bar is to center the axle, the lower control arms (lcas) aid in the caster alignment. I think my secret is in a very good service manager! My guy has been running wranglers for years. Just trying to help all of same concern. And btw the damper (steering stabilizer) will only correct slight wobble usually comes when using larger tires. I put on a Fox 2.0 just after install of my new rims and tires whether I needed it or not. Good luck hope this helps you.

Sponsored

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
All,
In addition to the fixes and Jeep Cares cases log into the Nathion Highway Traffice Safety Administration and file a complaint. Jeep has been ignoring this issue long enough.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

it may take a little time but they will get back to you. Maybe in time we can get some help in getting Jeep to step up and fix the issue.

MDH4PennState

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sr. Project Planning Engineer
I had the the TSB-0200319 track bar sevice performed and it completely removed the wandering. Since this was my first Jeep I'm glad I requested my dealership into getting this addressed. This wasn't a "Jeep Thing" like people like to throw around at newbie owners, this was all the result of an incorrectly designed suspension and thankful FCA Jeep took ownership!

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the the TSB-0200319 track bar sevice performed and it completely removed the wandering. Since this was my first Jeep I'm glad I requested my dealership into getting this addressed. This wasn't a "Jeep Thing" like people like to throw around at newbie owners, this was all the result of an incorrectly designed suspension and thankful FCA Jeep took ownership!
Dang that wonderful I wish we all were so lucky. However this does give hope.

VegasJeepJL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The excessive wandering in the steering is likely caused by a low caster angle. The caster should be 5-5.8 degrees to have tight steering. Mine was 3 degrees. My dealership ordered adjustable control arms so they could get mine back in the 5 degree range. They also ordered a heavier duty steering stabilizer to go a step above. These two things will get your steering very tight and enjoyable to drive.
Hi there - would you mind sharing part numbers on this?
What was all added and final settings.

Thank you!!

JLU-Riptide

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Hi there - would you mind sharing part numbers on this?
What was all added and final settings.

Thank you!!
I’m not sure about part numbers, but this is everything that was added. The caster angle was adjusted to 5.5 degrees and all other settings were set to within spec. It now drives like a truck with zero wander and is super tight.

Metal Cloak Adjustable Lower Control Arms
Teraflex HD Adjustable Track Bar
Synergy HD Tie Rod
Synergy HD Drag Link
Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer
Sponsored