Steering Feels Loose and or Wander

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Ever since I drove my Jeep JL off of the dealer lot I had a problem with the steering feeling loose.

I've read countless post on this forum relating to the same issue and countless videos on youtube as well.

My master mechanic at my dealer and JeepCares states that my problem is due to the fact that I installed aftermarket wheels and tires.
Note: I installed the same size tire that comes on production Rubicon models.
The mechanic states that the wandering and the Jeep Wandering all over the road at heavy braking is due to my aftermarket tires and wheels.

What do you all have to say about that? I'm curious as to your opinions.

I also advised them and brought a copy of Service Bulletin S1819000003 with me and have messaged JeepCares about the problem with the Case Number included.

They are refusing to acknowledge the problem!

Other issues with my JL:
1) Frequently lose power to my radio
2) Starter drive skipping on flexplate
3) Detonation at low RPM's (fixed that by using 93 octane)
4) Transmission makes a loud clanking noise moving from Park to Reverse/Drive (under low RPM's...Idle/500RPM)

*** The rear axle has been popping. After careful research, many Jeep owners like myself have found out that the bearings/associated parts in rear axle are failing ***
After four days at the dealer and the mechanic telling me there was nothing wrong with my Jeep, I took a test drive with him and sure enough the rear axle was popping/clunking consistently.

I called and emailed JeepCare yesterday. No return calls from dealer or JeepCares. Today I had to drive to the dealer and saw my Jeep parked in the parking lot. I approached the Service Agent handling my vehicle and he advised me that they ordered new bearings for the rear axle. I was on the phone with JeepCares at that time and the Service Agent refused to speak with him (JeepCare Rep) or myself and walked away.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Ouch, makes me real glad that my service rep is not an asshole like that... I think you might need to find yourself another dealership..

PS. I also experience issue 4), but not sure if it's prevalent on all Jeeps, i find that the clunking goes away after the Jeep warms up for a while/not parked on a hill, or put in Neutral first before shifting.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Ever since I drove my Jeep JL off of the dealer lot I had a problem with the steering feeling loose.

I've read countless post on this forum relating to the same issue and countless videos on youtube as well.

My master mechanic at my dealer and JeepCares states that my problem is due to the fact that I installed aftermarket wheels and tires.
The mechanic states that the wandering and the Jeep Wandering all over the road at heavy braking is due to my aftermarket tires and wheels.

I also advised them and brought a copy of Service Bulletin S1819000003 with me and have messaged JeepCares about the problem with the Case Number included.

Other issues with my JL:
4) Transmission makes a loud clanking noise moving from Park to Reverse/Drive (under low RPM's...Idle/500RPM)

*** The rear axle has been popping. After careful research, many Jeep owners like myself have found out that the bearings/associated parts in rear axle are failing ***
After four days at the dealer and the mechanic telling me there was nothing wrong with my Jeep, I took a test drive with him and sure enough the rear axle was popping/clunking consistently.

I called and emailed JeepCare yesterday. No return calls from dealer or JeepCares. Today I had to drive to the dealer and saw my Jeep parked in the parking lot. I approached the Service Agent handling my vehicle and he advised me that they ordered new bearings for the rear axle. I was on the phone with JeepCares at that time and the Service Agent refused to speak with him (JeepCare Rep) or myself and walked away.
¡Bummero Grande!
I’m 5 weeks/1500 miles (400 off pavement) in with my Sport JLU, and it’s been a sweetheart so far. I’m in love.
I wonder if you have a lemon law claim coming up.
Regarding steering, mine was sketchy on the highway as delivered. Required constant small corrections to keep going straight.
40psi! Dropped to 30, and she tracks like a train now.
I’ve decided to stick with 245/75R17s. That’s what my Jeep was engineered for, and they do all I need them to do.

RubiconSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hardrock 2016 Sport 2018 JLU Rubicon

Other issues with my JL:

There is a STAR bulletin and it clearly states wandering/loose steering - New (re-designed) Track Bar order and replace and check alignment.

OP
OP
crystalbackJL

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Brazos
I'm running 285/75R17's, I've tried multiple settings of tire pressure and it still wanders. I will agree that airing down did help a bit, but never fixed the problem.

RubiconSS
I printed the STAR bulletin and brought it with me to the dealership, they wanted nothing to do with it. I have even referenced this same bulletin with JeepCares numerous times.
All they ever do is go back to the rear axle problem and ignore the other issues with my Wrangler.

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What dealer are you going to? If you're in my area, Ft Lauderdale, they all pretty much suck so just curious if you've encountered the same ones I have

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Brazos
I'm running 285/75R17's, I've tried multiple settings of tire pressure and it still wanders. I will agree that airing down did help a bit, but never fixed the problem.

RubiconSS
I printed the STAR bulletin and brought it with me to the dealership, they wanted nothing to do with it. I have even referenced this same bulletin with JeepCares numerous times.
All they ever do is go back to the rear axle problem and ignore the other issues with my Wrangler.
My dealer wouldn't apply the STAR case to my Wrangler either. When I said the loaner Wrangler didn't have any dead-space their reply was my stock Rubicon KO2s were the issue and told me to leave.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Put your stock tires or see if you can borrow some from someone that upgraded and take the Jeep back to them. When you remove what they wrongfully accuse as being the issue it will take that wind out of their sails. Being a master mechanic used to mean something, now says it doesn’t garner the respect of years past by responses like his

Brett

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Brazos

RubiconSS
Check your track bar by looking for movement. If you see it, make a video and show it to them. This is a case where the dealer is failing the customer. My dealer too, refused to replace it after I showed them this video. I replaced it with an aftermarket. The drift is gone. You may have better luck.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
¡Bummero Grande!
I’m 5 weeks/1500 miles (400 off pavement) in with my Sport JLU, and it’s been a sweetheart so far. I’m in love.
I wonder if you have a lemon law claim coming up.
Regarding steering, mine was sketchy on the highway as delivered. Required constant small corrections to keep going straight.
40psi! Dropped to 30, and she tracks like a train now.
I’ve decided to stick with 245/75R17s. That’s what my Jeep was engineered for, and they do all I need them to do.
I have the same problem with the steering I will be starting the lemon law process. But the catch is that as long and the dealership and FCA are beating the law by stating "there is no problem, very sloppy steering is normal"

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
Ok brand new Jeep owner here. 2019 JL unlimited sport. Noticed the steering is a little mushy compared to my GMC Canyon. I’ve seen people reference alignment, toe and S1819000003. Would any of these be relevant to my JL from 2019?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ok brand new Jeep owner here. 2019 JL unlimited sport. Noticed the steering is a little mushy compared to my GMC Canyon. I’ve seen people reference alignment, toe and S1819000003. Would any of these be relevant to my JL from 2019?
Yes. The 2019 JL has most of the same steering part numbers as the 2018.

Sswrangler03

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
2019 JLUR here. One week old. We put 500 miles on her going to the mountains. It was a nightmare. I had my friend drive back. He hated every second. We could barely keep it in our lane for the entire 8 hour 500 mile round trip.
Took it to the dealer. The dealer called back and said it drove like a rubicon. I laughed and said I should have placed money on his response. He tried to say it was the tires. I stated that I have had prior jeeps including the 03’ rubicon. None of the others had tire issues. I am convinced that all dealers and service staff are trained to avoid these known issues at all costs.
He said he would drive it to his house after his shift to give it a proper test drive on all types of roads and speeds. I told him to also research it online.
He emailed me 10 minutes later saying he found the bulletin stating the “fix”. Funny! I am assuming he finally came across the update about the JL needing a new track bar. I am glad even though I am convinced the whole system needs to be upgraded.
Fingers crossed. I don’t want to go through with the lemon law but want the issue resolved. If it’s possible I would love to save Chrysler money and have them pay for upgraded steering components. Maybe a full lift. Haha! Still cheaper than building me a new Rubi which will inevitably have the same exact issues.

Thanks for reading my rant!
Sponsored