Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
No first time, called Jeep cares and have a case manager
No need to be mechanically inclined, looks like you have a brand new 2020 so any gripe is justified. You were financially inclined, that trumps mechanically inclined.
First be as pleasant as you can be while being firm. Do not let them tell you it’s a Jeep thing it’s not!
Don’t let them say it’s normal, while that may be true it only means a lot of jeeps have this issue. Normal...does not mean right it only means it’s “normal” for this to occur.

Step one is have them drive with you so you can show them the concern.
Have them initially check all tightness of parts, alignment, and have the track bar and damper upgraded per FCA new directives. Have then document the part number of these components since then you have proof of the part number. Also have them note the part number of the steering gear box, since there is a newer version released.

I also recommend having your case manager at Jeep cares call and schedule the appointment, that helps reinforce to them that you are serious about this and have done some homework.

After all this give it a test period and determine if it’s acceptable, if not have Jeep call again and escalate the case up the ladder. Keep in touch with Jeep and document and save all correspondence with them. If you don’t let them know there is still a problem they may close the case. Once it’s serviced, they like to close the file.

That is where a lot of us are right now, waiting to see what Jeep elects to do. The good news is that by this point it’s probably pretty drivable. Being so new, I think aside from the service department being involved, you should also express the concern to the general mgr of the dealership so he/she can also monitor the progress.
Sponsored

x3L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOJITO! JLUR 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
37A4BD8A-C738-4B9D-8006-8193525869E5.jpeg
3FF15A61-DCCE-44AB-B6E7-2716D069594F.jpeg
Hmm not sure I see a bulge up or down...? Snapped some quick pics. Have to look again later.

It’s up, and arrow pointing to back of vehicle.

6EF91708-B582-4740-B3F9-1885C86E896F.jpeg

Last edited:

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
No need to be mechanically inclined, looks like you have a brand new 2020 so any gripe is justified. You were financially inclined, that trumps mechanically inclined.
First be as pleasant as you can be while being firm. Do not let them tell you it’s a Jeep thing it’s not!
Don’t let them say it’s normal, while that may be true it only means a lot of jeeps have this issue. Normal...does not mean right it only means it’s “normal” for this to occur.

Step one is have them drive with you so you can show them the concern.
Have them initially check all tightness of parts, alignment, and have the track bar and damper upgraded per FCA new directives. Have then document the part number of these components since then you have proof of the part number. Also have them note the part number of the steering gear box, since there is a newer version released.

I also recommend having your case manager at Jeep cares call and schedule the appointment, that helps reinforce to them that you are serious about this and have done some homework.

After all this give it a test period and determine if it’s acceptable, if not have Jeep call again and escalate the case up the ladder. Keep in touch with Jeep and document and save all correspondence with them. If you don’t let them know there is still a problem they may close the case. Once it’s serviced, they like to close the file.

That is where a lot of us are right now, waiting to see what Jeep elects to do. The good news is that by this point it’s probably pretty drivable. Being so new, I think aside from the service department being involved, you should also express the concern to the general mgr of the dealership so he/she can also monitor the progress.
Thanks for all the tips :like:

bgj1010

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Systems Engineer - Manager
How is it handling ?
It wobbled bad on bumps. It's never had an issue since day one and I didn't really notice til today, then I checked and saw the stickers. I remembered this thread from a month or so ago and knew the dealerships are incompetent. I spun it as soon as I got home from work and we went to Red Robin for dinner. All set, handles like a dream, just like before. I had no issues with the original one they replaced, worked as it should. It was recently dented and the plastic sleeve was crushed like an accordion from wheeling though
IMG_20190823_192528.jpg
IMG_20190823_192550.jpg
. Glad to have it replaced for free

bgj1010

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Systems Engineer - Manager
37A4BD8A-C738-4B9D-8006-8193525869E5.jpeg
3FF15A61-DCCE-44AB-B6E7-2716D069594F.jpeg
Hmm not sure I see a bulge up or down...? Snapped some quick pics. Have to look again later.

It’s up, and arrow pointing to back of vehicle.

6EF91708-B582-4740-B3F9-1885C86E896F.jpeg
It's wrong. Just undo the tire side nut, 18mm, and pop it out and spin it. There's no resistance, it just dampens the steering. You will see the bulge easily once off. It's a 10min job, so easy, no need to jack up or anything
I just did mine tonight after work. Dealer installed Monday and I've been driving work van, just noticed today.

Sponsored

x3L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOJITO! JLUR 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
@Jimac stated “Bolts and nuts one time use.”
If that’s the case they should replace everything all over again right? I talked to service extensively about this and other problems (ie oil changes), they have to see if they have another part to do it the right way. I mean I’m sure I can unscrew and torque some bolts but.

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
No. I didn't expect it to address wandering, but was hoping for a bit less looseness. My husband didn't notice any difference, either. I value his take on it because he had a JKUR.
Just came from the dealer. Mine is all loose. No diference at all.

tank1473

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2006 Wrangler LJ, 2000 Wrangler TJ
If you DONT get it fixed and a later accident is determined to be caused by this part and you knew about the recall and chose not to do it.... are you insured?
+1 There's a reason why recalls are done.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Got it done on Tuesday. Definitely more progressive feeling off center now. Mine still feels out of alignment, but it's less of an issue now that there is less resistance off center. Strangely enough, my steering was too tight off center which made keeping it straight quite a chore. That has been fixed with this recall.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My damper was changed a few days ago and when I looked there in no real bulge on it at all !
There looks to be a pinhole on the area that faces forward but not on the bottom

FFEAC62F-865A-4A14-AB35-C9F09617E8E5.jpeg

6D7D97D0-3E45-49B7-BE08-CBED0326CD34.jpeg

And it made no difference whatsoever!

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you feel it’s worse, take it back and request they put the old one back on.
They are not adjustable, so unless they installed it wrong it won’t get better.

BluRubicon

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Ocean Blue ord’d 5/21, Enclave, Harley Ultra Glide
Vehicle Showcase
Rationing of Damper Recall parts?
I’ve been covered up at work so I had the wife schedule an oil change and the Damper recall. They got my Jeep right in for the oil change. But told her it’d be 10 weeks before they can do the recall. Told her the recall parts are rationed to 7 a week for them. They have 76 Jeeps ahead of me. I haven’t read all the post regarding the Damper Recall so forgive me if this has been discussed. Is this the typical wait time?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Rationing of Damper Recall parts?
I’ve been covered up at work so I had the wife schedule an oil change and the Damper recall. They got my Jeep right in for the oil change. But told her it’d be 10 weeks before they can do the recall. Told her the recall parts are rationed to 7 a week for them. They have 76 Jeeps ahead of me. I haven’t read all the post regarding the Damper Recall so forgive me if this has been discussed. Is this the typical wait time?
I went to a pretty small dealership, but it took about 2 weeks for mine to come in.

I got this recall done today. My steering is the same afterwards but different at the same time. What's different for me is going over bumps/potholes. When going over these I don't need to correct the wheel at all anymore. The ride is very firm, much firmer than before. I go over a lot of shitty pavement living in NYC and can say there is definitely a difference after the damper was replaced. With it changed I can definitely see I had "bump steer" over crappy pavement. I guess I got used to it.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I went to a pretty small dealership, but it took about 2 weeks for mine to come in.

I got this recall done today. My steering is the same afterwards but different at the same time. What's different for me is going over bumps/potholes. When going over these I don't need to correct the wheel at all anymore. The ride is very firm, much firmer than before. I go over a lot of shitty pavement living in NYC and can say there is definitely a difference after the damper was replaced. With it changed I can definitely see I had "bump steer" over crappy pavement. I guess I got used to it.
which dealer did you go to in NYC?

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
I finally called today, and I'm now on a waiting list also..
Sponsored