First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'M probably going to get recall done just to clear the damn thing from my APP and notifications that I have a recall. Then I'm going to take it off and put something better.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Did it fix the wandering and/or looseness afterwards?
No. I didn't expect it to address wandering, but was hoping for a bit less looseness. My husband didn't notice any difference, either. I value his take on it because he had a JKUR.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
For what it's worth I had new control arms put on a 2005 Cobalt many years ago. I was amazed what it did to the steering. It was tight, zero play and felt like a race car. If I buy a JL this time once my lease is up that's gonna be my first mod.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i got the notice (v41) in the mail today. tho i did not experience any steering issues since day one (may 2019) i did a 1800 mile road trip and didnt notice anything at 70 - 75 mph. i had other driving it and they felt nothing either. i will keep eye on it on my next 1800 - 2000 mile trip (soon). either way i'll bring the jl in for service just to have it on file.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
No. I didn't expect it to address wandering, but was hoping for a bit less looseness. My husband didn't notice any difference, either. I value his take on it because he had a JKUR.
What is the air pressure in your tires? I had some wandering/looseness (felt like I was always moving the steering wheel to hold a line).with my stock K02's lowered the air pressure down to 32 - 33 lbs it tightened right up. Then when I put on the 315 K02's on, the ride home I felt it returned. Checked the air pressure on the dash and the guy put 40lbs in. Brought it back to 32 and it cleared right up again.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
What is the air pressure in your tires? I had some wandering/looseness (felt like I was always moving the steering wheel to hold a line).with my stock K02's lowered the air pressure down to 32 - 33 lbs it tightened right up. Then when I put on the 315 K02's on, the ride home I felt it returned. Checked the air pressure on the dash and the guy put 40lbs in. Brought it back to 32 and it cleared right up again.
I’m running 34 cold. I had to drop the pressure again after going g to the dealer. I might try dropping it a bit, but am keeping it the same as I do steering upgrades to eliminate a variable.

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Boyyy some people will be mad. I got a call from my claims manager about the reimbursement for correcting the issue before the recall came out & he told me the executives made the decision to not give any reimbursements back for aftermarket parts.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I have been fighting my dealer on this issue (steering wander), and they insist nothing is wrong.
"It drives like every other Jeep" they say.
Then I get this in my email yesterday...

Jeep steering damper recall.png
Update on my situation...

The dealer where I bought my JL (i.g. Burton in Milford DE) absolutely refused to admit 1.) that there is a wandering issue for some of us and 2.) "in their opinion", my JL "drove like every other Jeep".
I think the reason the service manager had a case of the red ass is because I had already gotten @JeepCares involved and had a case number and advocate assigned. That really pissed him off.

When the dealer refused to believe I had an issue and refused to even inspect the items in the technical bulletin, I told my FCA advocate I was done with that dealer.
My advocate made me an appointment at another area dealer and wouldn't you know, they are replacing the steering damper as well as the track bar. Parts are on order, and when they come in, I will go back to have everything installed.

I had another issue completely unrelated to the steering wander. The old service department said "nothing wrong".
The new service department tells me that one of the gas shocks on my rear window is broken (causing a rattle), part on order, covered under warranty.

Needless to say that I will no longer be dealing with i.g. Burton in Milford DE.
Millsboro Jeep is my new service center.

Reactions: zyt

Sponsored

Jvillz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR, 2019 Jeep Sport S
They probably promoted the techs who do oil changes that put in 6 quarts instead of 5 quarts to change steering stabilizers.
Exactly. The bulge that the instructions refer to even had a green mark highlighted on the actual damper. Easy but annoying fix.

WotanDietz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I’m having the steering damper fixed next week. I have been getting a stability control error on my 2018 JL that randomly keeps popping up. I’ve never had any issues with dealership here in Charleston, SC (Rick Hendrick) service has always been great so far.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
For those of you that had the FIX. How long was it until you no longer saw the recall on your PORTAL. My dealer fixed it this morning and I've yet to go pick it up and still see on my JEEP Page that its INCOMPLETE./

hammerheadnc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 3.6L (Punky), 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Big Red)
Leave it to the tech to mess mine up too...

919E9866-3308-42CC-9010-7C187A079657.jpeg
So it looks like the part number ends in E now - from what I recall on the "death wobble" threads about this issue they were putting on B's back then. Am I reading this correctly? I haven't had issues since lowering tire pressure to about 33-34 cold and using balance beads in the tires instead of the wheel weights.

Also, I recall the B's were still having issues after some time so I wonder if this E is a better modification?

Any thoughts or information on this?

What say you @JeepCares

Thanks
Steve

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
First 6 quarts, now this. Upside down. Thank you to this forum for identifying this issue.

E78ABDBE-2E3A-4593-98E1-AD4A146BAA9D.jpeg
Sponsored