Steering damper recall and death wobble

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I’m at 35k miles and just had the upgrade to the AE damper.

This Jeep drives straight as an arrow. Absolutely no steering issues!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I guess I’m in the same boat as you. This is a video of me driving home work yesterday.
Omg that is crazy. While the steering wheel shakes like that are you still able to steer properly?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well now my Jeep has been sitting at the dealership for almost 3 months this time. Last time it sat there for 32 days and the time before that it sat for 35. I have been dealing with this for about one year and all I hear is put a new steering damper in. We have put 2 mopar dampers and 2 falcon 2.2 dampers and they all wear out after a few thousand miles. I just love paying $808 a month to see my Jeep sitting at the dealership. It’s hard to find cuz they park it back in a corner so nobody can see it. Hopefully I can drive it by next year.
Hi Curt,
We're sorry to learn about your experience. Has a case been opened on the Customer Care side to assist you while working with your dealer? If not, please send our team a private message. We'd be happy to get this process started for you.
Alex
Jeep Cares

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Buy the Falcon Nexus 2.2 and Steer Smarts track bar and be done with it.

Sponsored

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
I guess I’m in the same boat as you. This is a video of me driving home work yesterday.
same exact issue. And i have the new dampener. Only 5000 miles on my JL. This is BS.

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
Just started my own thread and ended up finding out that my dampener was installed upside down as well

AJR2025

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

This is the exact issue mine has been having. About 4-5 times so far. Right around 7500 miles, 2019 JLU Sport S. Its scheduled for the V41 recall work next week.

skywalkerjlu

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I thought I was being proactive and had the recall done. I had never had an issue before, and thought this would eliminate the threat of it happening in the future. The next morning I hit a bump and it shook so bad I had to pull over and come to a complete stop. 2 days later I had it replaced again. I was told the original recall replacement part was "leaking". I let it go and drove home.
It's been 2 weeks and 2 replacements later, and I hit a bump this morning and it shook so hard it didn't stop for 3-4 minutes until I was able to pull off the highway. This will be the 3rd time having it changed out. I'm kicking myself wishing I'd just left the stock steering damper alone.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I thought I was being proactive and had the recall done. I had never had an issue before, and thought this would eliminate the threat of it happening in the future. The next morning I hit a bump and it shook so bad I had to pull over and come to a complete stop. 2 days later I had it replaced again. I was told the original recall replacement part was "leaking". I let it go and drove home.
It's been 2 weeks and 2 replacements later, and I hit a bump this morning and it shook so hard it didn't stop for 3-4 minutes until I was able to pull off the highway. This will be the 3rd time having it changed out. I'm kicking myself wishing I'd just left the stock steering damper alone.
I did the same about a month ago and after having it "fixed" I got the wobble, so much for fixing it.

Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I’m in the uk. Got the v41 recall for my ‘19 JLUR and it goes into the shop week after next.
Not happy, but it’s my nearest dealer and they fecked up a recall on my JKUR 3 years ago. Here they’re actually Fiat shops, and got the jeep dealership when fiat bought jeep. They know nothing about Jeeps :whew:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
ihave no steering issues at all> am i gonna get them if I do the recall?

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
that’s my worry too. It’s been ok on the stock damper.
On another thread, they advised that after the work is done, and at the dealer, check that the replacement was done and installed the right way around ... easy to see as there’s a label showing the direction to the jeeps front.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
that’s my worry too. It’s been ok on the stock damper.
On another thread, they advised that after the work is done, and at the dealer, check that the replacement was done and installed the right way around ... easy to see as there’s a label showing the direction to the jeeps front.
I have no steering issues with mine either before or after the recall and didn’t feel any difference after the change. The dealership did it whilst I waited, only took 20 minutes.
I know there are reports of these being mounted the wrong way round but if you look at the recall document it’s easy to get it right.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Well now my Jeep has been sitting at the dealership for almost 3 months this time. Last time it sat there for 32 days and the time before that it sat for 35. I have been dealing with this for about one year and all I hear is put a new steering damper in. We have put 2 mopar dampers and 2 falcon 2.2 dampers and they all wear out after a few thousand miles. I just love paying $808 a month to see my Jeep sitting at the dealership. It’s hard to find cuz they park it back in a corner so nobody can see it. Hopefully I can drive it by next year.
Good God, are you a priest? You have some SERIOUS patience! Man, I would have driven that one through the dealership front window.....
Sponsored