Steering damper recall and death wobble

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Hello, in Europe the regulation is much more severe for the size of the tires. The original dimensions must be respected and very few JEEP JL and JLU have big tires and have lift kits ... it is forbidden to modify the original characteristics and here there is almost no DW. Insurance does not cover accidents (in France) if the JEEP is equipped different from the origin. (insurance experts look this in first)
This may be a serious reflection on the problem of sterring vibration that are numerous in the US. You also have a lot of Wrangler, we do not much ...
I did not have anything problem before the V41 and after no more and no difference. I have a JLU Rubicon 2.0 petrol turbo 12000 Kms with 255/75R17 BFG (origin for Europe) My jeep is stock .
Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Hello, in Europe the regulation is much more severe for the size of the tires. The original dimensions must be respected and very few JEEP JL and JLU have big tires and have lift kits ... it is forbidden to modify the original characteristics and here there is almost no DW. Insurance does not cover accidents (in France) if the JEEP is equipped different from the origin. (insurance experts look this in first)
This may be a serious reflection on the problem of sterring vibration that are numerous in the US. You also have a lot of Wrangler, we do not much ...
I did not have anything problem before the V41 and after no more and no difference. I have a JLU Rubicon 2.0 petrol turbo 12000 Kms with 255/75R17 BFG (origin for Europe) My jeep is stock .
insurance is a big kettle of fish. In the UK, there’s no restriction on non standard builds, and you’ll get insurance as long as all modifications are stated on the policy. One’s most likely to get an increase in premium when there’s a boost to engine power. Frankly, the insurers want your money, and can’t be bothered to check what a lift kit or snorkel does. BUT if they can argue your mod contributed, so long as it was listed, they can’t walk away. That’s a moot discussion for another thread.

Back on topic. Had my recall for the damper. This is the dealer I had little faith in when they screwed up a recall on my previous JKUR a few years ago.
When I turned up at 10am as agreed, they had nothing on the computer and even had the wrong licence on my records. Luckily they were honest and played their recorded phone call .. I logged the date and time ....and apologised. They actually had the part and I left 2 hours later with the job done. So far, after a number of road trips at motorway speeds, all ok.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
My garage (Mercedes - Jeep) called me to tell me to change the steering dumper. I do not need to make a rendez vous. I checked that the work was ok and the dumper in the right place. No problem before and not after, it's the. My jeep was riding perfectly before After too !
Everywhere in European Union (not in the United Kingdom ... :CWL: ) tire dimmensions must be respected at + or - 3% otherwise you are outlawed. It's in the official code/law not on the forums ! After each Jeeper does what he wants .

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 16 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4Matic, 15 Honda Accord Sport, 12 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Crew
My wife’s 18 JLUR just had the death wobble this week. We had it 16 months and 14,000 miles with no issues. It is all stock except the steering damper that was replaced about 6 weeks ago. They replaced it upside down.

She hit a small pothole at 40 mph Thursday night and the front shook. I took it back to the dealer the next day. They told me that one other Jeep had come back stating they had the wobble after replacement. The tech came back and told me that the bulletin had changed since the first install and it instructed them to turn the wheel several times to get the air out of the system.

When I went back to the Jeep, I noticed it was installed upside down again. The service manager told me that it didn’t matter. I asked why Jeep paid to have a sticker placed on it, it costs them something and they wouldn’t pay for it if it wasn’t necessary.

I had him to pull the bulletin and he agreed. The tech said it wouldn’t go on that way and I told them Jeep thought it would. They took it back and returned it 15 minutes later. I checked it to confirm it was installed correct, even looking under to make sure they just didn’t take the sticker off. Guess they had installed all they replaced upside down. Maybe upside down has a relation to wobble on the replacements.

My wife now doesn’t trust it and is eyeing something else.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My wife’s 18 JLUR just had the death wobble this week. We had it 16 months and 14,000 miles with no issues. It is all stock except the steering damper that was replaced about 6 weeks ago. They replaced it upside down.

She hit a small pothole at 40 mph Thursday night and the front shook. I took it back to the dealer the next day. They told me that one other Jeep had come back stating they had the wobble after replacement. The tech came back and told me that the bulletin had changed since the first install and it instructed them to turn the wheel several times to get the air out of the system.

When I went back to the Jeep, I noticed it was installed upside down again. The service manager told me that it didn’t matter. I asked why Jeep paid to have a sticker placed on it, it costs them something and they wouldn’t pay for it if it wasn’t necessary.

I had him to pull the bulletin and he agreed. The tech said it wouldn’t go on that way and I told them Jeep thought it would. They took it back and returned it 15 minutes later. I checked it to confirm it was installed correct, even looking under to make sure they just didn’t take the sticker off. Guess they had installed all they replaced upside down. Maybe upside down has a relation to wobble on the replacements.

My wife now doesn’t trust it and is eyeing something else.
Hi Gray Fox,
We're sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your dealer. We'd like to have this properly documented in our system. At your earliest convenience, please send us a private message with your VIN and the name of this dealer.

Lydia
JeepCares

Sponsored

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 16 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4Matic, 15 Honda Accord Sport, 12 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Crew
Hi Gray Fox,
We're sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your dealer. We'd like to have this properly documented in our system. At your earliest convenience, please send us a private message with your VIN and the name of this dealer.

Lydia
JeepCares
PM sent.

angazi

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlu sport hellayella 3.6 auto hardtop
I'm on round 3 with the dealer and my death wobble, the first time they didn't drive it after the repair, went 10 miles and first bridge i went over on the highway and my dw was back. took it back to the dealer yesterday and picked it up today and they drove it 5 miles this time, but no where they could have gotten to highway speeds. i took it on the same route as i did the last time i picked it up and turned around and took it right back.
now i wait....
Ive had enough Jeeps to know that while a steering stabilizer may mask dw for a bit it is not a solution...

Bob K

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Ocean Blue - ; 2002 Ford f350
I had the recall done about 2 weeks ago against my better judgement. I hadn't driven on the highway since the replacement and didn't notice any problems. Well, this weekend I hit the highway and as I was on the entrance ramp I got a shimmy and several times while on the highway. I should have never had the recall done. A year ago, I had the death wobble and they replaced the stabilizer with a new (non-updated) one and hadn't had an issue since, that is until now.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had the recall done about 2 weeks ago against my better judgement. I hadn't driven on the highway since the replacement and didn't notice any problems. Well, this weekend I hit the highway and as I was on the entrance ramp I got a shimmy and several times while on the highway. I should have never had the recall done. A year ago, I had the death wobble and they replaced the stabilizer with a new (non-updated) one and hadn't had an issue since, that is until now.
Hey, Bob. Have you returned to the dealer yet to have this addressed? If not, we recommend doing so at your earliest convenience. Please let me know if you need assistance.

Kate
JeepCares

Bob K

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Ocean Blue - ; 2002 Ford f350
Hey, Bob. Have you returned to the dealer yet to have this addressed? If not, we recommend doing so at your earliest convenience. Please let me know if you need assistance.

Kate
JeepCares
I have an appointment for this Saturday for them to take it for a drive to try to duplicate the problem. Kind of stupid for them not to trust my word. Do they think that I want to waste my time at the dealership for nothing? So what if they don't duplicate the problem? Do they just send me on my way? Do I have to keep wasting my time and coming back until they duplicate the problem?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have an appointment for this Saturday for them to take it for a drive to try to duplicate the problem. Kind of stupid for them not to trust my word. Do they think that I want to waste my time at the dealership for nothing? So what if they don't duplicate the problem? Do they just send me on my way? Do I have to keep wasting my time and coming back until they duplicate the problem?
I certainly know multiple dealer visits are not ideal, Bob and I do apologize. Although I cannot speculate on the outcome of your diagnosis, I can ensure that all avenues for repair will be explored. Please keep us updated on how it goes.

Kate
JeepCares

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
I'm in the same boat as alot of you. Bone stock 4door ruby, jeep drove great no issues and no death wobble or shimmy. Took it in for some warranty work and decided to do the V41 recall, drove home that day hit a bump and bam death wobble. I live 3 hours from a jeep dealer and had to take time off again today to have them replace the stabilizer a second time. No fix same thing happened at the same bump. Thats 2 V41 steering dampeners that seem to be failing, my old stock one was great I'm kicking myself in the ass for doing this recall. Now I have to figure out how to get to a dealer again since nobody does Saturday work by me, beyond frustrated.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 JLU sport S had NO steering issues even though it was part of the recall batch. I didn't bother getting the recall work done ... until 2wks ago. I'm putting my JLU up for sale to buy a Gladiator and didn't want to leave a standing recall on it. I was getting a little bit of wobble within a day of the steering stabilizer replacement, but I was too busy with work to go back. Last weekend on an on-ramp, I hit a seam in the concrete and WOBBLE! Today was the first chance I had to return to the dealership. They're going to call me tomorrow to let me know what's up. This is so frustrating! I was selling a JLU with no issues, but trying to do the right thing it has an issue. I'm hoping they just didn't tighten something to spec.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My garage (Mercedes - Jeep) called me to tell me to change the steering dumper. I do not need to make a rendez vous. I checked that the work was ok and the dumper in the right place. No problem before and not after, it's the. My jeep was riding perfectly before After too !
Everywhere in European Union (not in the United Kingdom ... :CWL: ) tire dimmensions must be respected at + or - 3% otherwise you are outlawed. It's in the official code/law not on the forums ! After each Jeeper does what he wants .
I see plenty of German vehicles in DACH countries with larger aftermarket wheels - much more than 3%. I do not believe they are driving without insurance coverage.
Sponsored