Sponsored

Steering Box Flex-- Anyone else notice this on your Diesel Rubicon?

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Y'all,

I'm running bigger tires and a lift on my JLURD but have tried to be smart and safe in developing my build with respect to daily drive-ability. I had noticed some less than ideal steering and was surprised because I have a Metalcloack 2.5" True Dual (upgraded spring rating) w/ Fox Racing Shox Factory Race Series 2.5 Reservoir Front/Rear Adjustable Shocks AND the Fox Racing Shox Factory Race Series 2.0 ATS Steering Stabilizer. The Steering Stabilizer should be doing the trick but clearly it is not-- I am experiencing about an 1/2" flex in the steering box when moving the wheel side to side.

Was planning to add a steering box brace but wanted to see if anyone else with a Diesel Rubicon ran into the same issue. The group that works on my Jeep noted that they had not seen this level of flex after a similar lift on any other 2020 JLURs and thought it may be related to the diesel. Thoughts?

I'll get a video and post as well.
Sponsored

Zukifever

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR eco-diesel on order
It’s on lots of JL’s including gas models. YouTube has tons of videos showing the movement. I’ve got a synergy bracket ready to go on.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This doesn’t have much to do with the components you listed. Big tires add lots of stress to the steering. Maybe it even had movement before the bigger tires. Now if you had added PSC hydraulic assist, that would fix it.

The stabilizer absorbs shock to the system, it wouldn’t limit the flex at the steering box. The lift (any brand) only makes it worse by changing the angles of the steering components.

Brace might help, but many are reporting issues with their braces causing binding.

Unfortunately, PSC is the only real fix, but it’s expensive

USMC0311

First Name
Oslo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU diesel Rubicon
I had a synergy sector shaft brace installed with my Mopar lift kit,absolutely no issues and it handles great.

OP
OP
dieseljlu

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This doesn’t have much to do with the components you listed. Big tires add lots of stress to the steering. Maybe it even had movement before the bigger tires. Now if you had added PSC hydraulic assist, that would fix it.

The stabilizer absorbs shock to the system, it wouldn’t limit the flex at the steering box. The lift (any brand) only makes it worse by changing the angles of the steering components.

Brace might help, but many are reporting issues with their braces causing binding.

Unfortunately, PSC is the only real fix, but it’s expensive
Thanks for the insight. I was tempted to discuss this new service bulletin with my original Dealer. Any thoughts? I would rather not have binding issues and it seems the diesel has its own steering box component parts.
Sponsored

Attachments