Sponsored

Steering, battery, ESS, uconnect, and other gremlins

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I know there are other posts about the ESS and battery issues, along with several others that were happening in my JLU sport S (build date 01/18). I had similar issues and hopefully most are resolved after a recent 2-day trip to the service dept and a bunch of updates - we'll find out more over the next couple of weeks.

Issue 1 - ESS not working due to "battery protection mode", and battery voltage read a constant 14.2-14.4 V. When the jeep was off, the voltage read down as low as 9.8V. Turns out the auxiliary battery was bad, and it was draining the main battery. Replaced both batteries, and so far ESS is working again and battery voltage ranges from 12.2 - 14.0 V while driving, and 12.4 V when jeep is off.

Issue 2 - UConnect system shuts down randomly and blacks out, response was very slow, sirius cuts out, etc. Had the service dept update that (took several hours), and seems to be much better now, though still slow switching from ipod to radio. This was found in TSB 08-012-18 rev C.

Issue 3 - steering was really difficult, and dangerous with the electronic assist kicking in and out, at all speeds when cold (below around 40F), and really was only to the left, and was that way until the engine warmed up. There is a TSB out on this number 08-092-18. They flash the update and restore the original configuration, and so far steering seems to be better in terms of no drift/dead space, and no difficulty, but will know more when it gets cold this weekend.

Issue 4 - I have been struggling with trying to figure out the lack of power when accelerating - it felt like the jeep was fighting itself and trying to slow down while I was trying to accelerate. It was just really sluggish and did not seem like it was opening up at all. I don't know if it was an engine issue, tuning issue, and if the alternator was robbing that much power from the engine while trying to power everything with the bad batteries? After the steering fix, and maybe from updating/restoring the vehicle configuration, it seems to be much more like a jeep, maybe there was an updated tuning in there too - to the point that I finally understand why people were liking the jeep so much. It's almost fun to drive now, rather than frustrating.

Hopefully those are the only issues that I'll have, and hopefully they are corrected now. We'll see.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@redelses Thanks for sharing, I am going thru a few of the same issues and my service appt is next week so hopefully these get resolved with the help of Lydia @JeepCares and Meredith with Jeep Wave who have started a case for me and will be working with the service ppl to get these problems resolved.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Good luck! I brought the actual TSBs printed out with me so that they could get details and have the suggested fix, and follow up on the TSB in their database, and not think I was crazy. I haven't gotten the jeep out in the cold yet, so don't know that the steering is fixed for sure, but it feels better all around in the warmer temps. ESS and the battery seem to be operating normal, though. There is a list of all the current TSBs here, which is where I found the steering one and some others, if you didn't already see these.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-jl-wrangler-check-your-jl-for-recalls.9784/

@redelses Thanks for sharing, I am going thru a few of the same issues and my service appt is next week so hopefully these get resolved with the help of Lydia @JeepCares and Meredith with Jeep Wave who have started a case for me and will be working with the service ppl to get these problems resolved.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck! I brought the actual TSBs printed out with me so that they could get details and have the suggested fix, and follow up on the TSB in their database, and not think I was crazy. I haven't gotten the jeep out in the cold yet, so don't know that the steering is fixed for sure, but it feels better all around in the warmer temps. ESS and the battery seem to be operating normal, though. There is a list of all the current TSBs here, which is where I found the steering one and some others, if you didn't already see these.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-jl-wrangler-check-your-jl-for-recalls.9784/

Was there a TSB on the ESS battery thing as that is one of my primary issues, mine constantly says charging and voltage reads 14.4 99% of the time and ESS does not work

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
What is the voltage when engine is not running but "key" in the ACC mode? Mine kept dropping to below 10V when just sitting in the garage. I had read a number of posts here that similar issues were resolved by replacing the aux battery, so I basically told the service dept that I thought the aux battery was dying. They tested both batteries and found both were bad. I don't recall that there was a TSB out on that one, though, just a recurring issue with others on this forum.

Was there a TSB on the ESS battery thing as that is one of my primary issues, mine constantly says charging and voltage reads 14.4 99% of the time and ESS does not work
/

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
What is the voltage when engine is not running but "key" in the ACC mode? Mine kept dropping to below 10V when just sitting in the garage. I had read a number of posts here that similar issues were resolved by replacing the aux battery, so I basically told the service dept that I thought the aux battery was dying. They tested both batteries and found both were bad. I don't recall that there was a TSB out on that one, though, just a recurring issue with others on this forum.

/
When I got to work this morning i shut everything off ( lights, radio etc...) I then killed the engine and then went to ACC mode and then scrolled to the battery voltage screen and it read a pretty solid 12.4-12.5, I then turned on lights and radio and it dropped to 12.1-12.2 and then I started it and it ramped up to 14.4 and stayed there so not sure what’s going on but then here’s a new thing, I turn the wheel slightly to see the dash better and upon turning the wheel the voltage would drop to like 12.4 while turning and once I stopped turning it the voltage would go back up to the 14+, I know having the wheel turned slightly while the engine is running is one of a few things that keeps ESS off but who knows.

I am truly hoping it’s an easy fix like a bad battery or batteries or an IBS t can’t read the voltage correctly, as far as my other issues like the engine fan running like a jet engine while AC is on high has a TSB fix so hoping all gets resolved

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Update - after a few days, battery voltage now back to reading 14.3-14.5 V steady, though ESS still functional and battery voltage when engine not running is 12.8-13.2 V, which seems high to me.

Also, noticed that when I turn on electronics to "RUN" mode, and before starting engine, the CEL chimes and flashes a few times, then chimes and goes steady again. It disappears when the I turn on and engine is running. Not sure if that is normal or not?
Sponsored