Sponsored

Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I was climbing a hill today, on the high side of some ruts(im a dumbass) when my front end slipped into the ruts and i ended up nearly at a 45 degree angle with the hill. My jeep kept going into auto park when i tried to move forward which lead to it getting tipped sideways to the hill more.
Had a friend come hook me up and helped pull me up.

Last i looked, it was 20 pitch and 22 roll, on soft ass soil. Me being an off road noob, is this how rollovers happen? Do you think i couldve hit reverse to try and get my two front tires out of the ruts?(wouldve caused my roll to increase) pictures just didnt do justice. It was scary thinking i might end up with an expensive red flower pot on my driveway.

DFED631F-BF2B-40CC-9542-99445672AE1D.jpeg

EFE9B05B-F756-4A42-BA54-DD20F95C2B9F.jpeg
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Rule number 1 in off-roading: keep your Jeep level side-to-side at all times.

Jeeps can move forward and backward; they cannot move sideways.

BTW: nice Jeep!

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Well... off road in flip flops certainly outs you as a noob...LOL When the high side tire is not on the ground and you can lift on that fender like a teeter totter, you are close to rolling. That doesn't look like you where anywhere near a rollover in the pics. I would have proceeded uphill in those ruts. backing up on the hill without a lot of experience does lead to rollovers. As mentioned, straight up and straight down is the preferred method.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Well... off road in flip flops certainly outs you as a noob...LOL When the high side tire is not on the ground and you can lift on that fender like a teeter totter, you are close to rolling. That doesn't look like you where anywhere near a rollover in the pics. I would have proceeded uphill in those ruts. backing up on the hill without a lot of experience does lead to rollovers. As mentioned, straight up and straight down is the preferred method.
My problem was the auto park feature wouldnt let me drive forward for some reason. By the time i remembered i could use 4 low to disable it, it was too late to get out of the rut going forward. Maybe if i had sway bar disconnects it wouldve been more stable. Damnnit!!
This jeep hates me. When i was on a date with a chick i got stuck because i accidentally hit my jeep into neutral when going through deep snow. When i tried getting out, my tires juuust started to spin and dig out but the rpm limiter kept me from letting my tires turn, so i sat there revving at 4000rpm like an idiot.

oh and my buddy in the flip flopsā€¦ he also stepped on a cactus šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
My problem was the auto park feature wouldnt let me drive forward for some reason. By the time i remembered i could use 4 low to disable it, it was too late to get out of the rut going forward. Maybe if i had sway bar disconnects it wouldve been more stable. Damnnit!!
This jeep hates me. When i was on a date with a chick i got stuck because i accidentally hit my jeep into neutral when going through deep snow. When i tried getting out, my tires juuust started to spin and dig out but the rpm limiter kept me from letting my tires turn, so i sat there revving at 4000rpm like an idiot.

Thanks for further validating my choices of buying the Rubicon and a manual transmission :)

Good news is, you made it out without any real damage except maybe some pride. Your buddy learned not to ride in your Jeep without real shoes because , it is an adventure every time, be prepared...LOL

Always best to stop, take a few minutes and think your plan through before acting in a situation like this. Definitely use low range, that is why it is there. It allows you to move slowly and precisely which doesn't upset the vehicles balance as much as stomping the gas and bouncing around in hi range.

The only way to learn your limits is to push them. Best to hook up with experienced wheelers so you can really learn what the capabilities of your rig are. Nobody wants to see that sweet Jeep turned into a planter.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Thanks for further validating my choices of buying the Rubicon and a manual transmission :)

Good news is, you made it out without any real damage except maybe some pride. Your buddy learned not to ride in your Jeep without real shoes because , it is an adventure every time, be prepared...LOL

Always best to stop, take a few minutes and think your plan through before acting in a situation like this. Definitely use low range, that is why it is there. It allows you to move slowly and precisely which doesn't upset the vehicles balance as much as stomping the gas and bouncing around in hi range.

The only way to learn your limits is to push them. Best to hook up with experienced wheelers so you can really learn what the capabilities of your rig are. Nobody wants to see that sweet Jeep turned into a planter.
You definitely made the right decision! I wish i had a rubicon sooo bad now. Yeah that was my mistake, because the hill was so slippery and because the ruts were so uneven that i was constantly on 2 wheels trying to go up. Damn saharas so useless!! Oh well, time to go get stuck in some mud next downfall.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well... off road in flip flops certainly outs you as a noob...LOL
Rick Pewe wore flip-flops when off-roading.....in fact there's an imprint of flip-flops on the JL cowl in honor/tribute of the contributions Rick Pewe made to Jeeps.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Rick Pewe wore flip-flops when off-roading.....in fact there's an imprint of flip-flops on the JL cowl in honor/tribute of the contributions Rick Pewe made to Jeeps.
Great..., doesn't in any way make it a smart choice.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
You definitely made the right decision! I wish i had a rubicon sooo bad now. Yeah that was my mistake, because the hill was so slippery and because the ruts were so uneven that i was constantly on 2 wheels trying to go up. Damn saharas so useless!! Oh well, time to go get stuck in some mud next downfall.
Your Sahara is more than capable enough for that terrain... You just need some practice

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

A disconnected swaybar would only have exacerbated your side lean on a severely slanted terrain.

With regards to ā€œaccidentally shifted into neutral and got stuck in the snow on a date with a chickā€: Iā€™d try using the remote start feature. It will keep the engine running, the climate control blowing and the seat heaters working, but wonā€™t let you accidentally shift out of Park when you are having sex in the Jeep :LOL:

With a chick or otherwise.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, but Saharas are not useless. A Jeep canā€™t make up for driving skills.

I had my Sahara with a similar build to yours ā€”see belowā€” on a 1.5 miles long 20% grade climb on loose rock last weekend. The Jeep got up to the top with five adults and two dogs without a sweat.

What made a difference:
  1. A rear LSD. I donā€™t know if yours has it or not, but it helps a lot in low traction situations
  2. Maintaining a slow, steady momentum. Speed rarely helps on a trail; same for stop-and-go or unnecessary maneuvers. A steady hand, a steady foot and a constant speed (3-5 MPH) are your best friend
  3. Maintaining the Jeep level. As mentioned above, the Jeep can go forwards and backwards, but it cannot move sideways. You need to identify these situations beforehand, no matter if you are in a Sport, a Willys, a Sahara or a Rubicon. Trying to straighten an un-level Jeep leaves you few maneuvering options, which can result in loss of control. You need to identify a slanted terrain before you enter it, anticipate what lines/measures you are going to take keep the Jeep as level as possible, and then go
Sounds you are trying to justify getting rid of the Sahara for a Rubicon. Thatā€™s your prerogative. But a Rubicon wonā€™t get you out of a precarious situation into which you got yourself due to lack of foresight or experience. In fact, over-confidence can get you into worse trouble.

If I were in your situation, Iā€™d hone my off-roading driving skills first. You'll be surprised how capable your Sahara is once you know what it, and you, can and cannot do on a trail.

Good luck.

My Sahara has a Mopar lift, 35-inch Generals and a factory LSD
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626625487807

The trail
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626630017756

The view after completing a 1.5-mile, 20% grade climb
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626625612326

Last edited: