Sponsored

Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Who had to remove their liners? There’s a few here with stock liners intact…even non Rubicon fenders intact.
I wouldn’t really know. I just found out about their product a few days ago. I’m going by their website; it speaks about having to modify the fender liners, and then shows a bunch of JLs without fender liners.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I wouldn’t really know. I just found out about their product a few days ago. I’m going by their website. It speaks of “having to modify the fender liners”, and then shows a bunch of JLs without fender liners.
The users here have not had to and if anyone did, it was likely not due to the Autolynx. For the 10.5” version, one might have to stencil out some holes for the blue knobs to go through at full stuff. That depends on that individuals setup. One might even get away with a heat gun/massage of that area is what I’ve gathered but never a word about total removal of anyone’s fender liner.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The users here have not had to and if anyone did, it was likely not due to the Autolynx. For the 10.5” version, one might have to stencil out some holes for the blue knobs to go through at full stuff. That depends on that individuals setup. One might even get away with a heat gun/massage of that area is what I’ve gathered but never a word about total removal of anyone’s fender liner.
👍

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I was at Cleghorn when a toyota suv rolled and the owner, an indian gent, hopped out wearing flip flops. They had to double winch it to right it back up on a steep, slippery obstacle. Then he had to change out a tire that popped off the bead, on the obstacle, in flip flops lol. And we’re talking fall on your ass in tennis shoes slippery. I learned real quick to always wear hiking shoes when i go offroading.

Sponsored

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sorry, but Saharas are not useless. A Jeep can’t make up for driving skills.

I had my Sahara with a similar build to yours —see below— on a 1.5 miles long 20% grade climb on loose rock last weekend. The Jeep got up to the top with five adults and two dogs without a sweat.

What made a difference:
  1. A rear LSD. I don’t know if yours has it or not, but it helps a lot in low traction situations
  2. Maintaining a slow, steady momentum. Speed rarely helps on a trail; same for stop-and-go or unnecessary maneuvers. A steady hand, a steady foot and a constant speed (3-5 MPH) are your best friend
  3. Maintaining the Jeep level. As mentioned above, the Jeep can go forwards and backwards, but it cannot move sideways. You need to identify these situations beforehand, no matter if you are in a Sport, a Willys, a Sahara or a Rubicon. Trying to straighten an un-level Jeep leaves you few maneuvering options, which can result in loss of control. You need to identify a slanted terrain before you enter it, anticipate what lines/measures you are going to take keep the Jeep as level as possible, and then go
Sounds you are trying to justify getting rid of the Sahara for a Rubicon. That’s your prerogative. But a Rubicon won’t get you out of a precarious situation into which you got yourself due to lack of foresight or experience. In fact, over-confidence can get you into worse trouble.

If I were in your situation, I’d hone my off-roading driving skills first. You'll be surprised how capable your Sahara is once you know what it, and you, can and cannot do on a trail.

Good luck.

My Sahara has a Mopar lift, 35-inch Generals and a factory LSD
1626625487807.jpeg

The trail
1626630017756.png

The view after completing a 1.5-mile, 20% grade climb
1626625612326.jpeg
Awesome.....a Jeep on LSD........That's one amp'd up Jeep that can handle 'bout anything....

Nice Pics

My Jeep just wishes it had that kind of terrain to traverse.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Rule number 1 in off-roading: keep your Jeep level side-to-side at all times.
I think you must be talking about going up a steep hill. If you're pitched sharply up or down, you want to be as level as possible side to side, because that's when you roll.

If the pitch is not so steep, you can get away with a ton of roll. My personal sphincter shutoff limit is about 25°. That's when I'm sticking my arm out the window to hold onto the outside of the door. I have yet to get a wheel off the ground though, let alone roll on my side. There are several places on the loop I like to do where I get it up at that angle just following the road. There really isn't any way to avoid it, unless I tow a bulldozer up there, and build a new road.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Yeah, the limited slip helps a LOT.

I have the JKS FlexConnect swaybar links. They provide a few extra degrees of articulation, and have a quick release in case I want to manually disconnect them completely. It works well for a manual system.

https://jksmfg.com/products/flex-connect-tuneable-sway-bar-link-kit-wrangler-jl-and-gladitor-jt

1626637258790.png

Apex Design just came with an swaybar "disconnect" called AutoLynx. Their design looks pretty ingenious in that it allows the swaybar links to slide to increase articulation.

https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/coll...Y9PINS3fAo_ItDLo76RbgYkN_iqB9rKRoCgKQQAvD_BwE
1626637162278.png

A key drawback in its current design is that it appears that you have to remove the fender liners to create enough space for the links to work. If you live somewhere with cold winters, I would recommend against removing the fender liners.
1626637218965.png
OMG thanks a ton for that… i never knew where to even start with that. Looks like i now already know what the next upgrade is!!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think you must be talking about going up a steep hill. If you're pitched sharply up or down, you want to be as level as possible side to side, because that's when you roll.

If the pitch is not so steep, you can get away with a ton of roll. My personal sphincter shutoff limit is about 25°. That's when I'm sticking my arm out the window to hold onto the outside of the door. I have yet to get a wheel off the ground though, let alone roll on my side. There are several places on the loop I like to do where I get it up at that angle just following the road. There really isn't any way to avoid it, unless I tow a bulldozer up there, and build a new road.
Correct. You want your Jeep leveled side to side as much as possible.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
One quick note - Grade and Angle are two different concepts. For our proposes, grade is about double angle value.

Also agree with keeping the Jeep level (side to side) and picking the straightest line possible.

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Do they make an e locker for the d44 that can be bought? That would say you back maybe 1600 with install... Get some sway bar disconnects and you are good to go. If that is the kind of stuff you are going to be doing I say it's with the extra expense. Also yea, get a bumper and winch (factory knock off front bumper is like 460 on Amazon and ebay).

That's my end goal for my build. Most extreme stuff I would try is what you did there lol.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine at 26 degree roll. Wasn't teetering, ,,,but I was puckered.
I hit 23 roll one time at an adventure with my daughter in the passenger seat . We had to stop briefly for traffic in multiple directions and hold position. While she was giggling in her state of delightful obliviousness, I too was puckered and thinking, "Oh, shit. Oh, shit. Oh, shit" while trying to smile along with her...

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I hit 23 roll one time at an adventure with my daughter in the passenger seat . We had to stop briefly for traffic in multiple directions and hold position. While she was giggling in her state of delightful obliviousness, I too was puckered and thinking, "Oh, shit. Oh, shit. Oh, shit" while trying to smile along with her...
Had my wife with me one time and the right front wheel (in a TJ) was hanging up on the air while going up a rocky hill- I honestly thought we were gonna roll for sure. Instead of "enjoying the moment" like your daughter did, the wife announced her intention to jump out. I said "If you jump out, this Jeep is gonna roll! In fact, could you please lean to your right a bit?!?" We didn't roll, but it was quite the adrenalin rush. My buddy's JK encountered the same issue, and we all felt exhausted after making it to the top as the adrenalin faded away... I swapped out the seats and installed four point harnesses soon after. In hindsight, near disasters often turn into the best memories!

The seat belt extender looks like an awesome fix for auto-park! The Tazer allows you to turn off the auto-start, it would be really nice if you could disable auto-park as well...
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. photo.JPG

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
In regards to the seat belt extenders, I can't figure out why someone would wish to traverse sketchy terrain, where a rollover is possible, without wearing their seat belt?

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
I've had mine at 26 degree roll. Wasn't teetering, ,,,but I was puckered.
I hit 25 degree roll toward the passenger side the other day. My poor passenger was pretty stressed, haha. Luckily I was able to reverse uphill and take another line. I'm glad I tried another line but I've also been wondering what the upper limits are for pitch and roll in my 2 dr Rubicon.
Sponsored