Sponsored

Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Sorry, but Saharas are not useless. A Jeep can’t make up for driving skills.

I had my Sahara with a similar build to yours —see below— on a 1.5 miles long 20% grade climb on loose rock last weekend. The Jeep got up to the top with five adults and two dogs without a sweat.

What made a difference:
  1. A rear LSD. I don’t know if yours has it or not, but it helps a lot in low traction situations
  2. Maintaining a slow, steady momentum. Speed rarely helps on a trail; same for stop-and-go or unnecessary maneuvers. A steady hand, a steady foot and a constant speed (3-5 MPH) are your best friend
  3. Maintaining the Jeep level. As mentioned above, the Jeep can go forwards and backwards, but it cannot move sideways. You need to identify these situations beforehand, no matter if you are in a Sport, a Willys, a Sahara or a Rubicon. Trying to straighten an un-level Jeep leaves you few maneuvering options, which can result in loss of control. You need to identify a slanted terrain before you enter it, anticipate what lines/measures you are going to take keep the Jeep as level as possible, and then go
Sounds you are trying to justify getting rid of the Sahara for a Rubicon. That’s your prerogative. But a Rubicon won’t get you out of a precarious situation into which you got yourself due to lack of foresight or experience. In fact, over-confidence can get you into worse trouble.

If I were in your situation, I’d hone my off-roading driving skills first. You'll be surprised how capable your Sahara is once you know what it, and you, can and cannot do on a trail.

Good luck.
I love you wheels on your jeep!

I shouldnt say useless. I love my jeep, but the thing i guess i want to know is; if i could disconnect my sway bars then shouldnt i just be able to climb through the uneven dips in the ruts?

I found dash cam footage, dont know how to share it but heres a shitty screenshot. you can see all the dips in the trail where i cant get past since 1-2 wheels lift off the ground and i lose traction or just dig in. In a jeep that can flex, youd think it would just crawl up that..,. Right??

Also i should mention i do have lsd.

56BCB0DA-D9C3-45A9-A50B-730B3E0A4D4D.jpeg
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m curious why it kept enabling auto park. Did you have door open or seatbelt off?

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I’m curious why it kept enabling auto park. Did you have door open or seatbelt off?
seat belt was off, but door was closed. I couldnt get my seat belt on because of the angle i was at, it was stuck locked up. I did shut off the jeep when i hopped out after a second time to try and come up with a plan. So maybe it forgot it was off roading when i started back up?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
seat belt was off, but door was closed. I couldnt get my seat belt on because of the angle i was at, it was stuck locked up. I did shut off the jeep when i hopped out after a second time to try and come up with a plan. So maybe it forgot it was off roading when i started back up?
Ohhh ya I hate that

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
What was causing Autopark? May be able to prevent it next time:

AutoPark will engage when all of these
conditions are met:
 Vehicle is equipped with an eight-speed
transmission
 Driver’s door is ajar or if the driver’s door is
removed and the driver is not on the seat
(seat pad sensor detects driver missing)
 Vehicle is not in PARK
 Driver’s door is removed
 Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less
 Driver’s seat belt is unbuckled
 Brake pedal is not pressed

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was climbing a hill today, on the high side of some ruts(im a dumbass) when my front end slipped into the ruts and i ended up nearly at a 45 degree angle with the hill. My jeep kept going into auto park when i tried to move forward which lead to it getting tipped sideways to the hill more.
Had a friend come hook me up and helped pull me up.

Last i looked, it was 20 pitch and 22 roll, on soft ass soil. Me being an off road noob, is this how rollovers happen? Do you think i couldve hit reverse to try and get my two front tires out of the ruts?(wouldve caused my roll to increase) pictures just didnt do justice. It was scary thinking i might end up with an expensive red flower pot on my driveway.

DFED631F-BF2B-40CC-9542-99445672AE1D.jpeg

EFE9B05B-F756-4A42-BA54-DD20F95C2B9F.jpeg
I know it felt like it, but you weren’t in any danger of rolling it, looking at your pics. I’ve been there a few times....

Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. F8F02BDC-96AA-475D-AF0E-25F0993F67FF

My pitch/roll dangerously only goes to 25 degrees. I haven’t looked into what’s wrong with it. It felt like I was laying on my door, and the wife was practically on my lap this one time, she put a clinometer app on her phone, set it on the ledge of the radio screen and this is what its said........

Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 010957FA-879D-4FF5-AF3E-D7915E6304FF

As for Auto park, if it was your seatbelt causing it, I’ve taken mine out of commission with this ......

Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. rs5244-sbep-sbe-miniblack1-1507__63824.1552407383

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I know it felt like it, but you weren’t in any danger of rolling it, looking at your pics. I’ve been there a few times....

Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. rs5244-sbep-sbe-miniblack1-1507__63824.1552407383

My pitch/roll dangerously only goes to 25 degrees. I haven’t looked into what’s wrong with it but it felt like I was laying on my door, and the wife was practically on my lap this one tome. She put a clinometer app on her phone, set it on the ledge of the radio screen and this is what its said........

As for Auto park, if it was your seat Walt causing it, I’ve taken mine out of commission with this ......

rs5244-sbep-sbe-miniblack1-1507__63824.1552407383.jpg
Holy shit…. I dont wanna know how 30 degrees feels, thats crazy! And thanks for the seat belt suggestion, im definitely buying that.

Also, did you say BOTH pitch and roll top out at 25? Curious because i know for fact my pitch tops out at 35.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Holy shit…. I dont wanna know how 30 degrees feels, thats crazy! And thanks for the seat belt suggestion, im definitely buying that.

Also, did you say BOTH pitch and roll top out at 25? Curious because i know for fact my pitch tops out at 35.
I think it’s just the roll. I’ve been reluctant to look into it for fear of f... ing something else up..lol. Me and computers don’t see eye to eye..... :)

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Fix your problem with one of these. $20

Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626636310627

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I shouldnt say useless. I love my jeep, but the thing i guess i want to know is; if i could disconnect my sway bars then shouldnt i just be able to climb through the uneven dips in the ruts?

I found dash cam footage, dont know how to share it but heres a shitty screenshot. you can see all the dips in the trail where i cant get past since 1-2 wheels lift off the ground and i lose traction or just dig in. In a jeep that can flex, youd think it would just crawl up that..,. Right??

56BCB0DA-D9C3-45A9-A50B-730B3E0A4D4D.jpeg
Yeah, the limited slip helps a LOT.

I have the JKS FlexConnect swaybar links. They provide a few extra degrees of articulation, and have a quick release in case I want to manually disconnect them completely. It works well for a manual system.

https://jksmfg.com/products/flex-connect-tuneable-sway-bar-link-kit-wrangler-jl-and-gladitor-jt

Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626637258790

Apex Design just came with an swaybar "disconnect" called AutoLynx. Their design looks pretty ingenious in that it allows the swaybar links to slide to increase articulation.

https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/coll...Y9PINS3fAo_ItDLo76RbgYkN_iqB9rKRoCgKQQAvD_BwE
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626637162278

A key drawback in its current design is that it appears that you have to remove the fender liners to create enough space for the links to work. If you live somewhere with cold winters, I would recommend against removing the fender liners.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626637218965

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent

Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 1626637218965
A Jeep with lockers and a swaybar disconnect would have walked right up that... They sell them equipped that way from the factory too...

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The off-road pages are fun for pitch and roll. however, I discovered that eventually they stop and are no longer accurate. I have played around on some banked turns in washes that were right on the tipping point, yours looks fine still. It also varies by terrain. a 30 degree climb in Moab or Sand hollow is very different than the same in dirt or loose rocks.

a good example is "the chute" in Sand hollow. that is between 50 and 60 degrees, and a stock Rubicon can crawl up it.

on the wall obstacle in CO.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 0E088131-B7F5-42BF-B7B4-F4019E9FECDB

And here is the Chute.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 214383D7-A08B-4EED-9025-616FADD29633

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The off-road pages are fun for pitch and roll. however, I discovered that eventually they stop and are no longer accurate. I have played around on some banked turns in washes that were right on the tipping point, yours looks fine still. It also varies by terrain. a 30 degree climb in Moab or Sand hollow is very different than the same in dirt or loose rocks.

a good example is "the chute" in Sand hollow. that is between 50 and 60 degrees, and a stock Rubicon can crawl up it.

I think this was on hells revenge in Moab. (cant remember for sure)
0E088131-B7F5-42BF-B7B4-F4019E9FECDB.jpeg

And here is the Chute.
214383D7-A08B-4EED-9025-616FADD29633.jpeg
I kept having the same issue with the Off-road Pages going blank unexpectedly.

I recently discovered that the read outs are speed sensitive. 😫 They go blank the moment you exceed 15 MPH, or thereabouts.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Yeah, the limited slip helps a LOT.

I have the JKS FlexConnect swaybar links. They provide a few extra degrees of articulation, and have a quick release in case I want to manually disconnect them completely. It works well for a manual system.

https://jksmfg.com/products/flex-connect-tuneable-sway-bar-link-kit-wrangler-jl-and-gladitor-jt
No
Jeep Wrangler JL Steepest youve gone with your wrangler? Think i almost rolled mine. 214383D7-A08B-4EED-9025-616FADD29633

Apex Design just came with an swaybar "disconnect" called AutoLynx. Their design looks pretty ingenious in that it allows the swaybar links to slide to increase articulation.

https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/coll...Y9PINS3fAo_ItDLo76RbgYkN_iqB9rKRoCgKQQAvD_BwE

A key drawback in its current design is that it appears that you have to remove the fender liners to create enough space for the links to work. If you live somewhere with cold winters, I would recommend against removing the fender liners.
Who had to remove their liners? There’s a few here with stock liners intact…even non Rubicon fenders intact.
Sponsored