Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
.... I’ve got aftermarket AEVs in my JKU & they’re more like a tank. My wife got rear ended in it a few years ago & the Jeep came out with a scratch or two on the bumper paint, whereas the other car was totaled. I don’t think the factory mopar steel numbers would come out as unscathed under similar circumstances.
I have had the exact same experience with my Warn and 4wd hardware (Discontinued) F/R bumpers on my TJ. I've been hit, slid into, backed into, slid into other things, backed into things, scraped, dragged, bashed, and otherwise abused my bumpers since 2007. in 2013, I bought my second TJ and transferred them over to that Jeep, and repeated the process. If they would bolt up to a JL, I'd be doing the same again, just stripping and painting them. Sadly, they changed the dimensions of the wrangler and they will not fit, so they're going with the TJ when I trade it.

Side note: I had my old TJ (Details in signature) long enough to the point where i had replaced everything that had issues with heavier duty aftermarket parts EXCEPT the drivetrain and frame. It was built to the point where i could hand the keys to my then girlfriend/now wife, who did not drive stick and never drove a Jeep off road before, and let her drive it on the trail and not worry about damage. It went places it had no business being off road, and handled better than some of my friends stock and lesser built Jeeps. Many of the aftermarket parts may not meet "OEM Standard", but most of the time- if you're buying something quality- It's built to withstand the abuse of rookies and ham fisted drivers- Extreme stupidity being the exception (as always).

I guess my point is preference is one thing, and that truly does depend on the user; but for my use case? I just don't see the point of spending $1300+ on a set of steel bumpers that aren't much stronger than the plastic option. Now, if you're buying off the lot and they come with the Jeep, OR you're new to off roading and not really sure if it's for you... they can be a good option- because they're already installed, and there is little time involved in sourcing/ installing new bumpers.

That said- I ALMOST ordered the steel bumpers because I saw several builds where they look great. The thing that drove me away was the thin steel, Plastic swaybar skid, and the need to spend another $250 to buy a winch plate.
Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Why stop with the bumpers? Couldn’t you just order the base wrangler and add front and rear axles with lockers a better transfer case with better axles? Why waste the money on a Rubicon when you could do after market that would be way better? Same argument as the bumpers just replace the word bumper with “axles” .

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
what do you guys know about Havoc Offroads bumpers? I really like their eliminator bumper for the JK, which I am going to keep for a couple more years, but I don't know much of anything about them.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
In my own research and decision making, My concerns were design (Submerged integrated winch mount, stubby, and a good approach angle), functionality, cost-effectiveness, mostly bolt on, and solid construction. I was looking for Aluminum for weight savings and rust resistance but that threw cost effectiveness right out the window most of the time.
What about the Barricade Aluminum Bumper ? $500
  • 4mm Thick Aluminum Construction
  • 5mm Thick Steel Winch Plate
I'm also looking at MetalCloak's with Fairlead and skid plate - mostly because I'll be getting their
· UnderCloak Integrated Armor System, JL Wrangler, 4-Door, 3.6 Motor

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
What about the Barricade Aluminum Bumper ? $500
  • 4mm Thick Aluminum Construction
  • 5mm Thick Steel Winch Plate
I'm also looking at MetalCloak's with Fairlead and skid plate - mostly because I'll be getting their
· UnderCloak Integrated Armor System, JL Wrangler, 4-Door, 3.6 Motor
If you look at the side view, the Approach angle on that is like a balcony. Also- it doesn't offer good coverage/ protection for the sway bar. Both more important than weight savings in my book.

The Artec Nighthawk hit all the marks (Aluminum, great approach angle, good coverage, accomodates fog lights, winch protection, etc) but that was well out of my budget.

EDIT: Looks like the price has come down or I was looking at a maxed out build your own option. My mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
And believe me I'm not getting defensive I really could care less what you decide to throw on your rig. It's your Jeep bud, best of luck
It's "couldn't care less" I believe.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
I don't think you know what you're talking about at all. The Mopar offering is more expensive because it's from Mopar, all of their stuff is overpriced. The plate is not included with the Mopar bumper because they want to charge you even more for less material.
He’s just another overly opionated, knowitall forum troll. You know what they say about opinions...

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
ARIGHT, ARIGHT...I SURRENDER!!
figure_surrender_flag_anim_md_wm.gif
Ha, Ha. You gave up too early, I was enjoying the read.

I bought the plastic bumpers with the intention of going aftermarket. However, I'm just not liking the options out there right now. I was looking at LoD but I'm not adding a winch, (at least not at this build stage) so I don't want a big hole in the bumper, or to buy a winch right now.

Therefore... I'm looking back at the OEM steel bumper with the bull bar and skid plate (not sure if it's the same as my plastic one now, I thought it was steel. Please correct me). Cost $1145. Can add winch later if I decide.

The argument isn't between the OEM and the aftermarkets durability, cost, finish, reliability, etc. It's aesthetics. I'm liking the OEM look better than the other options currently offered. It may get beat to hell out on the trail, but that's just a badge of honor.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Ha, Ha. You gave up too early, I was enjoying the read.

I bought the plastic bumpers with the intention of going aftermarket. However, I'm just not liking the options out there right now. I was looking at LoD but I'm not adding a winch, (at least not at this build stage) so I don't want a big hole in the bumper, or to buy a winch right now.

Therefore... I'm looking back at the OEM steel bumper with the bull bar and skid plate (not sure if it's the same as my plastic one now, I thought it was steel. Please correct me). Cost $1145. Can add winch later if I decide.

The argument isn't between the OEM and the aftermarkets durability, cost, finish, reliability, etc. It's aesthetics. I'm liking the OEM look better than the other options currently offered. It may get beat to hell out on the trail, but that's just a badge of honor.
Lol, Skid plate is steel. Ordered the steel bumpers from factory so it came with steel skid. Make sure you double check that the steel plate comes with the bumpers when or if you get.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I ordered and paid for the steel bumpers for my Rubicon. I love the way they look, But honestly if I had to do it all over again I would NOT have ordered them and saved the $ $ $ for after market bumpers. After market bumpers are going to be better built with towing points and lifting points for a high lift jack.... not to mention if your jeep drops on the bumper .... the after market bumpers will not deflect and damage your bodywork like the OEM steel bumper group. After market bumpers look just as good as the OEM ones. I wouldn’t dare try lifting my jeep with a high lift jack on my bumpers now