OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
And what’s with that gray insert on the standard factory Rubi bumpers around the fog lights????

Steel bumpers for me. I know, they're pricey and not nearly as tough as the aftermarket ones, but I love the look of the 10A bumper. I have them on my JK and they work. The rear is a joke, but the front is actually pretty damn stout. I like being able to take the corners off, I like how well it fits the contours of the Jeep, and winches fit so nice and clean inside.
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
So benefit of steel over plastic?
Depends on the design. Coming from the CJ7 world, I use the front steel channel bumper as a quick base for hammering, sawing, etc. You can easily clamp items to it as well, sort of a mini makeshift workbench. A plastic bumper probably would not work so well, least ways I wouldn't want to miss with the hammer/saw and smash/cut/crack the plastic.

mjf4241

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I remember watching some reviews about this new JL and an issue brought up was all the technology in the rear OEM bumper. The question raised was what will the aftermarket do about the backup sensors and rear view camera (If going with bumper mounted tire carrier. Because of this, I think going with the OEM steel bumpers makes sense, and waiting to see what aftermarket does on down the road.
I wonder how the aftermarket will handle the backup camera with swing away carriers.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I remember watching some reviews about this new JL and an issue brought up was all the technology in the rear OEM bumper. The question raised was what will the aftermarket do about the backup sensors and rear view camera (If going with bumper mounted tire carrier. Because of this, I think going with the OEM steel bumpers makes sense, and waiting to see what aftermarket does on down the road.
Same.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how the aftermarket will handle the backup camera with swing away carriers.
I think the easy answer is a swing away like AEV has, where the tailgate and tire carrier swing out together.

And as far as the backup sensors go, it's got to be a simple swap over from a plastic bumper to steel, so the same would be true for OEM to aftermarket. My guess is that the aftermarket bumper would simply need some holes drilled.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Probably, sure not messing with that...if getting the Active Safety Group, steel bumpers from factory are the way to go...not messing with sensors and wiring.

I think the easy answer is a swing away like AEV has, where the tailgate and tire carrier swing out together.

And as far as the backup sensors go, it's got to be a simple swap over from a plastic bumper to steel, so the same would be true for OEM to aftermarket. My guess is that the aftermarket bumper would simply need some holes drilled.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
How much stronger is a steel bumper in a crash, compared to the plastic? That's really my main interest in it.
They both meet crash certs, so it's not a thing. IMHO

I did like that somebody backed into my TJ a while back, hard enough to bend it slightly, and left a little dark red paint. The Jeep really didn't care, but I bet the other car was friggin trashed. A$$hole didn't leave a note either. Karma.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Getting the Active Safety Group...not even thinking about messing with aftermarket and taking any risk.

C259FE2B-44FB-4A80-9B45-0834A51A0521.jpeg
They both meet crash certs, so it's not a thing. IMHO

I did like that somebody backed into my TJ a while back, hard enough to bend it slightly, and left a little dark red paint. The Jeep really didn't care, but I bet the other car was friggin trashed. A$$hole didn't leave a note either. Karma.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Somewhat tangent, apologies, but if you go with the steel bumpers, what's involved in the process of removing or reinstalling the sides of the bumper in front of the tires?

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Somewhat tangent, apologies, but if you go with the steel bumpers, what's involved in the process of removing or reinstalling the sides of the bumper in front of the tires?
I think it is just bolts.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
If it's like the JK Hard rock just a few Torx bolts. Quick removal especially if you have an impact driver.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Its amazing that plastic bumpers are even a possibility, next thing ya know some angry Orange dude will be President
The plastic bumpers are not just plastic. There is steel under the plastic cladding. The steel bumpers are of course all steel with added capabilities.

I like the OEM steel bumpers since it is more integrated into the look of the Wrangler. Downside is they are not custom but unfortunately most aftermarket bumpers have cheesy logos and in most cases ugly. Subjective of course.
Sponsored