• Total voters

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
But will the JK hard rock bumpers fit the JL? Hmm. Very similar looking in design

Dude's Jeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Occupation
I deliver spirits in the Rocky Mtns!
I wouldn't be so sure that the factory steel bumper is "winch ready". Many factory steel bumpers still require you to purchase winch mounting plates. $300 more. Anyone know for sure?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't be so sure that the factory steel bumper is "winch ready". Many factory steel bumpers still require you to purchase winch mounting plates. $300 more. Anyone know for sure?
Is the bumper on the 2017 Recon that way, or is it winch ready?

Sponsored

Dude's Jeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Occupation
I deliver spirits in the Rocky Mtns!
Is the bumper on the 2017 Recon that way, or is it winch ready?
A quick search on the wrangler forum shows you need to buy a winch plate. $336 from Mopar. They stated other aftermarket suppliers have them cheaper.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
A quick search on the wrangler forum shows you need to buy a winch plate. $336 from Mopar. They stated other aftermarket suppliers have them cheaper.
I figured that, but it is still more winch ready than the standard bumper, which doesn't appear to be able to house a winch, at all.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I was budgeting 1000 for a quality front bumper for my LJ. 1350 for both seems like a no-brainer if I get a Rubicon, especially since quality bumpers will be in limited supply at first.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Good point seems like the steel bumpers are the way to go and get it when you order in order to have the factory warranty covered.

I was budgeting 1000 for a quality front bumper for my LJ. 1350 for both seems like a no-brainer if I get a Rubicon, especially since quality bumpers will be in limited supply at first.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Two things to note on the Jeep steel bumper:

If you have the safety group, the sensors may knock an available bumper even further down the road due to the proximity sensors.

OEMs do tons of work to validate designs that small companies do not have the resources to do. I guarantee they tested these steel bumpers using standardized load, vibration, and salt fog testing. Think powder coat is such a great thing? Think again. It fails miserably next to just a single e-coat, which oems often use as step one in their coatings.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR

If you have the safety group, the sensors may knock an available bumper even further down the road due to the proximity sensors.

OEMs do tons of work to validate designs that small companies do not have the resources to do. I guarantee they tested these steel bumpers using standardized load, vibration, and salt fog testing. Think powder coat is such a great thing? Think again. It fails miserably next to just a single e-coat, which oems often use as step one in their coatings.
OEM MOPAR bumpers are e-coated.
https://www.rubitrux.com/mopar-82213653-rubicon-10th-anniversary-off-road-bumper.html
https://www.rubitrux.com/mopar-82213654-rubicon-10th-anniversary-hard-rock-off-road-bumper.html

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Steel bumpers for me. I know, they're pricey and not nearly as tough as the aftermarket ones, but I love the look of the 10A bumper. I have them on my JK and they work. The rear is a joke, but the front is actually pretty damn stout. I like being able to take the corners off, I like how well it fits the contours of the Jeep, and winches fit so nice and clean inside.

Last edited:

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR

darylkeys

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Wrangler TJ Sahara & 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon!
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Vehicle Showcase
The ONLY thing I regret not ordering on my Rubi is the Steel Bumper Group.... Too late to fix it now my dealer told me and I don't want to re-order. It's not like I will be installing the winch immediately living in South Florida but it looks so much slicker.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Agree...factory steel bumpers it is...

Sponsored