Steel Bumpers Or No Steel Bumpers?

Steel bumpers or no steel bumpers?

• Total voters

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
So looks like this option is not available on the Sport, but for the Rubicon better with or without the steel bumpers and why?
Sponsored

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Iā€™ve been wondering on this too.... Iā€™ve seen some cool ones that angle up to the fender on the JK instead of leaving a gap like the OEM ones, I wonder if those HiLine fenders will mess that up

Novenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford focus
Less concerned of the look, steel or plastic and why?
Most steel aftermarket bumpers are much higher quality than OEM and there are almost endless styles to choose from to suit your needs. I can't see spending the premium for the OEM steel bumper with all of the options the aftermarket has to offer.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I voted Steel. I had a JK Hard rock, and was able to sell the bumpers for more than what they cost in the package. I think it will be a while before there is a bumper on the market that I fall in love with, so at least I can have a winch capable bumper until then.

I'm sure there will be Sport owners that want the steel bumpers down the road.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
So benefit of steel over plastic?

Most steel aftermarket bumpers are much higher quality than OEM and there are almost endless styles to choose from to suit your needs. I can't see spending the premium for the OEM steel bumper with all of the options the aftermarket has to offer.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I'll buy aftermarket bumpers, so I'm not going to waste money on factory steel bumpers. I do kind of like the front steel bumper, but the rear steel bumper is eh. So I'm not going to pay for front and rear factory steel, just to get the factory front. There will be many after market options.

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I voted Steel. I had a JK Hard rock, and was able to sell the bumpers for more than what they cost in the package. I think it will be a while before there is a bumper on the market that I fall in love with, so at least I can have a winch capable bumper until then.

I'm sure there will be Sport owners that want the steel bumpers down the road.
Interesting...
But the steel rear compared to the plastic rear? I need to see pictures of both.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'm going steel just because of the front bumper. I plan on running a winch mounted in the bumper and I like the removable end caps. I'd probably prefer a different rear bumper depending if I want to relocate weight off the tailgate to the bumper...time will tell.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I have seen many aftermarket bumpers start to rust over time. Aftermarket bumpers can get expensive; I donā€™t want to deal with an expensive bumper when it starts to rust.

Iā€™m not sure if OEM is warranted against rust. Iā€™ve personally seen Recon bumpers; their finish looks a lot more resistant to our calcium chloride that gets dumped on my daily winter travels.

Because the Recon is relatively new; the bumpers havenā€™t had enough time to prove themselves rust resistant. Maybe somebody out there could chime in with any thoughts or personal info on this topic.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
2 advantages of steel: Winch ready, end caps removable on front bumper to improve approach from an angle.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Definitely aftermarket full width steel for NYC. The piece of mind of not having to worry about people parallel parking around you, because they'll be the ones getting hurt is so worth it.
Sponsored