Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The plastic bumpers are not just plastic. There is steel under the plastic cladding. The steel bumpers are of course all steel with added capabilities.

I like the OEM steel bumpers since it is more integrated into the look of the Wrangler. Downside is they are not custom but unfortunately most aftermarket bumpers have cheesy logos and in most cases ugly. Subjective of course.
The JK plastic rear bumper has almost no metal in it. You could easily toss it around with one hand. The front had some metal, and heft with the hooks but it still was nothing compared to the steel bumpers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
OEM Steel Bumpers. :like::like::like:

The JK plastic rear bumper has almost no metal in it. You could easily toss it around with one hand. The front had some metal, and heft with the hooks but it still was nothing compared to the steel bumpers.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I’m sure it will be pretty simple to swap.
Famous last words..lol. All too often I had to deal with aftermarket shenanigans with missing parts, crappy instructions, not fitting as easily as advertised, etc, etc... Also there is the mechanically inclined factor to install stuff.

Definitely not knocking aftermarket but just do your homework and typically brand names are safe because they will have decent to good support. No name or customized hardware...good luck.

For Sport and Sahara, you can get most hardware such as steel bumpers, LED, etc... Basically anything in MOPAR you can install.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Ill be getting a aftermarket aluminum front on my JT. I like the savings in weight and the custom look. I have a Smittybilt 12,000 LB winch to mount up off my JK. I did winch mount on my factory JK bumper.
IMG_0169.JPG

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
No, don’t believe it’s an option.
You can buy it from mopar parts. There is a thread on here with the parts catalog. I think it’s about 800 for the front. I asked my dealer to order a front stubby steel for me and I’ll swap. The rear I’ll be going aftermarket

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Thanks, looks like OEM Steel Bumpers is only available on the Rubicon.

Especially when getting the Safety Group, far easier to order along with the vehicle.

You can buy it from mopar parts. There is a thread on here with the parts catalog. I think it’s about 800 for the front. I asked my dealer to order a front stubby steel for me and I’ll swap. The rear I’ll be going aftermarket

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Thanks, looks like OEM Steel Bumpers is only available on the Rubicon.

Especially when getting the Safety Group, far easier to order along with the vehicle.
Easier yes but swapping a bumper will take 20 minutes. Bumpers are not part of the safety package. I only want the front bumper so that’s why I am only ordering the front separate.
You can order the mopar steel bumper from the dealer or mopar parts store and put them on any JL

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered our Rubi without steel bumpers. That is one of the first things I’ll be swapping out so I didn’t see a reason for ordering them. IMHO the look, thickness and quality of good aftermarket parts just make more sense to me vs the ~$1300 price tag of OEM...

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Firecracker Red
Definitely aftermarket full width steel for NYC. The piece of mind of not having to worry about people parallel parking around you, because they'll be the ones getting hurt is so worth it.

can you show me an example of a couple? where do you order them? I'm also in NYC

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
After reading through this thread I just called my dealer and changed my order to include steel bumpers. :rock:

Hopefully the FCA rep can make it happen (I ordered a 2-door soft top, so I assume it won't be an issue since we're so far away from those getting built).

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150. 2018 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Retired Dentist
I would have thought that is self explanatory.
I had a Ford F-250. Hit a small deer n bent the front STEEL bumper. I asked body shop to save the old bumper. I could pick it up with 2 fingers. My guess plastic bumper would likely be plenty tough provided no winch is installed. $1,250 is obviously too much for the upgrade since it comes with bumpers anyway. I’d go aftermarket just to spite Jeep
Sponsored