First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In using the Build & Price tool, it looks like opting for steel bumpers triggers the LED light option. Is that correct, and why would LED lights be a prerequisite for steel bumpers?
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I would talk to a dealer to see if it LEDs are needed to order the Steel Bumper group. There are several salespeople on this forum, maybe one of them can chime in (@PaulwithJeep ?). I don't think it was always that way, but things may have changed. If it did change, who knows why. Could be a large percentage of those who in the past ordered the LEDs also got the steel bumper, so they made it a prerequisite. It could just be bundled together, FCA makes more profit. Maybe in the past, you didn't need to order both because they were in tighter supply, as it seemed those items were often "on restriction" when people placed orders.

And to be honest, I have both, and would order both again. But I would definitely get the LEDs over the steel bumpers if I had to choose. Bumper is easier to replace, and there are a lot more options.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would talk to a dealer to see if it LEDs are needed to order the Steel Bumper group. There are several salespeople on this forum, maybe one of them can chime in (@PaulwithJeep ?). I don't think it was always that way, but things may have changed. If it did change, who knows why. Could be a large percentage of those who in the past ordered the LEDs also got the steel bumper, so they made it a prerequisite. It could just be bundled together, FCA makes more profit. Maybe in the past, you didn't need to order both because they were in tighter supply, as it seemed those items were often "on restriction" when people placed orders.

And to be honest, I have both, and would order both again. But I would definitely get the LEDs over the steel bumpers if I had to choose. Bumper is easier to replace, and there are a lot more options.
Off topic: I read that, as vehicles become more sophisticated with sensors and airbags, installing aftermarket bumpers is not as safe as it should be. Intuitively that makes sense.

Usually, option prerequisites are triggered by some sort of interaction or shared technology. This one seems really odd. That said, I like the LEDs.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off topic: I read that, as vehicles become more sophisticated with sensors and airbags, installing aftermarket bumpers is not as safe as it should be. Intuitively that makes sense.
For bumper replacements, FCA knows a lot of Wrangler people replace the bumpers. I believe that is one reason why there are no front parking sensors. It is also the reason they put the active safety camera/radar/whateveritis up by the rearview mirror rather than the front bumper/grill area. And the JL steel bumper was made to be winch capable. You have to take it off to add a winch (and winch plate). The rear bumper does have (or may have depending on trim) the backup sensors. Depending on which aftermarket rear bumper someone goes with, it seems like they may or may not have some annoyances with those backup sensors working the same when backing up (also might be affected by the size/mount of the spare tire). There should be several YouTube JL bumper swap videos out if you have concerns with the JL bumpers. I have not messed with the bumpers myself yet, so take what I type with a grain of salt until you have done your own research.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The fog lights in the steel bumper mount differently than the ones in the plastic bumper. I ordered a steel bumper and it comes with the new LED fogs I stalked. I’m guessing but they might not make a non-LED fog for that bumper, which is why I assume the LED package is required.

either way, it’s very worth it if you can afford it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The fog lights in the steel bumper mount differently than the ones in the plastic bumper. I ordered a steel bumper and it comes with the new LED fogs I stalked. I’m guessing but they might not make a non-LED fog for that bumper, which is why I assume the LED package is required.

either way, it’s very worth it if you can afford it.
That makes sense.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
In using the Build & Price tool, it looks like opting for steel bumpers triggers the LED light option. Is that correct, and why would LED lights be a prerequisite for steel bumpers?
Refer to the Order Guide (a sticky thread in this forum). The Steel Bumper option (order code AST) shows "M/H AD6" which means it Must Have option AD6 which is the LED Lighting Group.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I just went into my order tool to double check. If I was ordering a Wrangler right now for general inventory or as a sold unit it requires me to select LED package with the steel bumper.

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
For bumper replacements, FCA knows a lot of Wrangler people replace the bumpers. I believe that is one reason why there are no front parking sensors. It is also the reason they put the active safety camera/radar/whateveritis up by the rearview mirror rather than the front bumper/grill area. And the JL steel bumper was made to be winch capable. You have to take it off to add a winch (and winch plate). The rear bumper does have (or may have depending on trim) the backup sensors. Depending on which aftermarket rear bumper someone goes with, it seems like they may or may not have some annoyances with those backup sensors working the same when backing up (also might be affected by the size/mount of the spare tire). There should be several YouTube JL bumper swap videos out if you have concerns with the JL bumpers. I have not messed with the bumpers myself yet, so take what I type with a grain of salt until you have done your own research.
I have front sensors on my Ram. Unless it is sunny and dry they are worthless. Snow, Ice, Rain I just shut them off cause they re always going off when I get to a stoplight. Even Ford was smart enough to keep them off the front of their trucks. It is more of a headache than it is worth.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I ordered one in March of 18 and they were required to be ordered together then.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have front sensors on my Ram. Unless it is sunny and dry they are worthless. Snow, Ice, Rain I just shut them off cause they re always going off when I get to a stoplight. Even Ford was smart enough to keep them off the front of their trucks. It is more of a headache than it is worth.
I've had front sensors on an Audi and an Acura. Yes, in snow and ice they don't work. Never had a problem in rain. But the other 360 days a year, they work fine.

But on a Wrangler, where a lot of people, but still an overall minority of owners, replace their bumpers, it would probably be more of a headache then its worth.

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
Slightly off topic, but are the steel bumpers good, capable bumpers or are there after market bumpers that are superior for objective functionality and quality reasons (things other than "looks")

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Slightly off topic, but are the steel bumpers good, capable bumpers or are there after market bumpers that are superior for objective functionality and quality reasons (things other than "looks")
I looked into this a bit because I'm upgrading my factory plastic bumper. Everyone's response has been different because its dependent on what you're using the jeep for. General opinion has seemed to be its a great bumper for for general offroading and not the best for "rock bashing" for lack of better description, in which case you'd want something with thicker steel or more approach angle. Lite Brite ran the factory steel bumper for a year and a half, and it was still in decent shape when they upgraded.
Sponsored