Steel Bumper + Winch On JLU Sport

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
We bought a JLU Sport about three weeks ago, and it's our first Jeep. Have been a very long time lurker on these forums, but looking forward to learn more about various mods.

With that being said, has anyone tried to put an aftermarket steel bumper and winch onto the JLU Sport with stock coils and no lift or spacers? I understand that adding these things will result in the front sagging. Hypothetically, would you be able to drive around with this kind of set-up for a bit?

We do want to mod our Jeep over time, but would like to "stagger" the upgrades to save costs. Eventually, we plan on adding a modest lift, upgrading the coils, etc. The fact that the front will sag is definitely not up for debate, as is the fact that it'll be worse than the Rubicon. But I'm just curious whether anyone has tried to do this, and what their experience has been.

Thanks!
Sponsored

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
I don’t see why you couldn’t drive around like this for awhile, just expect to have a little more rake than you did from the factory. If you want to get an idea as to how much droop, just go sit on your front bumper and note the drop. My front bumper and winch were 200lbs, which is probably about 160lbs over stock.

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see why you couldn’t drive around like this for awhile, just expect to have a little more rake than you did from the factory. If you want to get an idea as to how much droop, just go sit on your front bumper and note the drop. My front bumper and winch were 200lbs, which is probably about 160lbs over stock.
Thanks for the response!

I had my wife sit on the front bumper, and there was some noticeable sag, but nothing that I would call alarming. You mentioned that your bumper and winch combo were 200 pounds. Did you make any modifications to accommodate the additional weight? After the install, did you notice a material difference in driving (more body roll, reduced breaking, etc.)?

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Minor drop = 1/8". Warn Elite Stubby with Warn VR8-S.

The stubby saved weight over full sized bumper and the synthetic cable saved weight over steel cable.

More photos later..

Before:

20180613_082350.jpg

After:
20180613_132132.jpg

Last edited: