Sponsored

Steel Bumper vs. Post

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Oooofff, backed into a post at the gas station and the rear driver side bumper took a hit. Anybody have an idea of how bad this is??? Debating if I want to get my insurance company involved. I have a $1k deductible

Jeep Wrangler JL Steel Bumper vs. Post EB3A4144-0740-4AF2-9210-AB4CA9272303

Jeep Wrangler JL Steel Bumper vs. Post 0542B3FE-8A48-4837-AC49-DF3CC8D44A07

Jeep Wrangler JL Steel Bumper vs. Post E628A222-A77F-41AC-8B9E-664F2FE4BBCD

Jeep Wrangler JL Steel Bumper vs. Post 9B4ECC1E-CCC3-4B51-9A72-094708E0E90F

Jeep Wrangler JL Steel Bumper vs. Post 3D0CC0EC-1D48-4E80-AF2C-D5E27BFAF544
Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks. You're not the first and you won't be the last.

If it was me, I would have it repaired myself and not involve an insurance company. However frustrating, It appears to be 100 percent your fault...it happens. Get it fixed and move on, it could have been worse, much worse.

Let us know how it works out.

Best of luck.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Is there any body damage other than the bumper? Hard to tell from the dirt. And do you even care about that?
Aftermarket bumpers are well under your deductible. I'd leave the insurance out of it if it's just the bumper. You'll pay for the bumper yourself anyway and it will just be an excuse to raise rates.

OP
OP
Bandana

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Is there any body damage other than the bumper? Hard to tell from the dirt. And do you even care about that?
Aftermarket bumpers are well under your deductible. I'd leave the insurance out of it if it's just the bumper. You'll pay for the bumper yourself anyway and it will just be an excuse to raise rates.
Luckily there appears to be no body damage. Looks like the post caught the steel corner and bent the bumper outwards. I have a decent body shop not too far from my house, I will take it over for a quote once I get the Jeep cleaned up. Thanks guys!

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You earned your license to wheel 🤙 go beat on it

Keep insurance out of it. Surely you can find a replacement take off bumper for cheap. A lot of guys take them off to replace with aftermarket. Make a willing to buy thread on here and check for an existing seller. Hard to tell from your pics if you got into the body behind the bumper or not. The JLs are kinda known for pushing the bumper into the body work and creasing the body a bit. I wouldn’t mess with fixing it if it did, it blends in once your bumper is back in place nobody will know unless you point it out.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Looks mostly cosmetic. I would not involve your insurer. In addition to the $1,000 deductible they will likely hike your premium, so they will make you pay twice, and they will have you pay for awhile.

I'd replace that plastic cap and buff off the bumper as much as I could and be done. That'd be a $500 repair at most.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Bandana

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Also, how hard did you hit it? I plan on abusing mine and might want to upgrade to something more stout if that’s just a minor bump.
Not even 5 MPH! I thought the plastic cap was the only victim, but it was a lot worse than I expected when I got home to check it out :facepalm:

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Cosmos is telling you that you need a plate bumper.

Turn it into a positive and upgrade to plate and the next post won't get off as easy.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not even 5 MPH! I thought the plastic cap was the only victim, but it was a lot worse than I expected when I got home to check it out :facepalm:
Yikes! If mine survives Moab unscathed next week it might be for sale 🤣 I can’t have that, might as well be running the plastic one

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It's my understanding that the bumper (and associated parts) is textured, or has a textured finished. The finish will not be repairable and therefor a body shop or insurance company will have to replace the textured parts or bumper. The stock bumper price will likely be more than an aftermarket bumper price and it would be less money to you, less than your deductible, and you'd have a (arguably) better aftermarket bumper.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I would fix it myself or pay out of pocket to have it fixed. You want to keep it off of the car fox.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Why fix it time for a new rear aftermarket bumper that looks better then the stock Jeep bumper and there are plenty of nice steel bumpers for less then your deductible of 1K!! I absolutely would not involve your insurance company if it’s just the bumper that is damaged just look through the forum here or the aftermarket vendors and buy yourself a nice new rear bumper! Also BLACK FRIDAY is next week so man you are in luck you should be able to get a good discount from one of the many vendors that sell Jeep bumpers!! Good luck!!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I dont understand. Whats the issue? Did you hit the metal rear bumper? Is that it? Did it get dinged/misaligned?

I hit my rear high clearance steel bumper the other day on a rock. Dinged and scratched bad. Rust oleum rattle can fix. Oh I hit the front too but it only scratched.

Just paint it or buy a new metal bumper. No body damage. It is a jeep.
Sponsored