Steel bumper skid plate...

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Several people have said that the Rubicon steel bumper comes with a factory skid plate. If so, does anyone have a photo of it?

Update: It appears that it won't be too difficult to bolt on an aftermarket skid if there is no OEM on the Rubi. Artec is already showing versions of multiple skid plates.
Sponsored

Last edited:

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
The OEM Rubicon bumper skid is steel, if you get the steel bumper only

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Are you telling me my Rubi will not have a front skid plate unless I optioned the steel bumper package? awesome . . .

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It was too late to add steel bumpers to my order once I changed my mind. I love the factory look and plan on buying a steel front bumper. I’ll wait for other aftermarket steel rear bumpers. Would there be an issue having a steel front bumper and plastic rear?

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Stuweeks: You, of course, can't order a steel front bumper without also ordering a steel rear bumper. I was going that route until I realized that the MOPAR steel front bumper is not really winch-ready. You have to add a $300 plate. Add another $200 for a bumper hoop. And the bumper price is outrageous. I don't like bumper hooks...I want D-ring recovery points on both front and rear. So it's an aftermarket steel winch-ready front bumper.
The Rubi I am ordering comes with 33" wheels. And the optional MOPAR rear door tire bracket "to strengthen the light weight door", uses the factory hinges . I don't trust the weight carrying capacity of the factory hinges so I am planning on installing an aftermarket steel bumper with tire carrier!

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Can you re-use the the plastic bumper's skid plate + air dam on the steel bumper?

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Can you re-use the the plastic bumper's skid plate + air dam on the steel bumper?
Check out this video and take a look at all the mounting points. I'm fairly certain you won't be able to reuse the plastic bumpers "skid plate", because it would get in the way of mounting the steel bumper. As for the air dam, maybe? they follow the same contour as far as I can tell, if the holes line up you might be able to get away with it.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watching it again I realize the "skid plate" might not get in the way if you aren't installing a winch plate.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Watching it again I realize the "skid plate" might not get in the way if you aren't installing a winch plate.
I just did the plastic to steel swap recently and the skid plate shouldn't get in the way regardless of which winch plate you go with (as long as it's compatible with the Mopar steel bumper). And no, you really can't use the plastic air dam with the steel bumper, at least without extensive effort and modification (totally different mounting methods).

The plastic bumper does have the air dam and a steel cover plate over the swaybar disconnect so it's not totally unprotected.

Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did the plastic to steel swap recently and the skid plate shouldn't get in the way regardless of which winch plate you go with (as long as it's compatible with the Mopar steel bumper). And no, you really can't use the plastic air dam with the steel bumper, at least without extensive effort and modification (totally different mounting methods).

The plastic bumper dues have the air dam and a steel cover plate over the swaybar disconnect so it's not totally unprotected.
the skid plate I'm talking about here is the one that comes with the plastic bumper, that covers the swaybar disconnect. I also did the plastic to steel swap, and I don't think I could have left this cover plate in place with my WARN winch mount.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
the skid plate I'm talking about here is the one that comes with the plastic bumper, that covers the swaybar disconnect. I also did the plastic to steel swap, and I don't think I could have left this cover plate in place with my WARN winch mount.
Agreed. The plastic skid plate wouldn't work (I have the WARN winch mount also), but you can still use the steel skid plate that goes with the Mopar steel front bumper.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. The plastic skid plate wouldn't work (I have the WARN winch mount also), but you can still use the steel skid plate that goes with the Mopar steel front bumper.
Yeah, we're on the same page there. He was asking if you could use the steel cover plate and plastic air dam from the stock plastic bumper with the OEM steel bumper. Which I think we both agree the answer to is no.

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
Check out this video and take a look at all the mounting points. I'm fairly certain you won't be able to reuse the plastic bumpers "skid plate", because it would get in the way of mounting the steel bumper. As for the air dam, maybe? they follow the same contour as far as I can tell, if the holes line up you might be able to get away with it.

NO -- Just installed the Rubicon steel bumper on my 2021 Willys and the plastic skid will not work

DarkhorseJL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2.0L (owned 12 other Jeeps)
Occupation
Behavioral / Clinical Psychologist
Stuweeks: You, of course, can't order a steel front bumper without also ordering a steel rear bumper. I was going that route until I realized that the MOPAR steel front bumper is not really winch-ready. You have to add a $300 plate. Add another $200 for a bumper hoop. And the bumper price is outrageous. I don't like bumper hooks...I want D-ring recovery points on both front and rear. So it's an aftermarket steel winch-ready front bumper.
The Rubi I am ordering comes with 33" wheels. And the optional MOPAR rear door tire bracket "to strengthen the light weight door", uses the factory hinges . I don't trust the weight carrying capacity of the factory hinges so I am planning on installing an aftermarket steel bumper with tire carrier!
33" WHEELS? Thought the biggest you can buy are 26" wheels. Has the DONK culture crossed into the Jeep Wrangler arena? Oh wait, you mean 33" TIRES.😂
Sponsored