OP

TMM

First Name
TM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Thank you guys for all the suggestions on what to check for repair. Thankfully no one was hurt. The driver of the other vehicle is a 16 yo kid who only got his driver’s license in week ago.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you guys for all the suggestions on what to check for repair. Thankfully no one was hurt. The driver of the other vehicle is a 16 yo kid who only got his driver’s license in week ago.
Tough lesson for him. Glad you're both all right.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
That's completely normal. Vehicles are designed to fold in like that giving the impression the car it ran into is an M1 Abram. I saw a brand new Civic rear end a truck at like 12mph and the front end looked just like that with coolant leaking everywhere and the truck drove off without a scratch.

On a side note did her cell phone crack her windshield when it flew out of her hand?
Tough lesson for him. Glad you're both all right.

Exactly. Kid needs a manual lol

Glad everybody is ok.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The issue is more than when someone is about to rear end someone, they usually slam on the brakes, causing the front of their car to dive lower. If they are about to hit someone who also is in the process of braking, then the car being hit is also in a front down / rear up position when the impact occurs. So even when the bumpers are the same height when the two vehicles are still, the tilting of the body when braking causes the mismatch and almost always much worse damage to the car in back.
So maybe a 3 in lift on the car?

With all kidding aside, I am glad one one was hurt. They build new cars and Jeeps every couple minutes so they are easy to replace. Sons, daughters, dads, moms, and others are not so easily replaced.

Sponsored

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Reminds me of that scene in Caddyshack. “Hey, you scratched my anchor.”

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
My wife was rear ended in the Jeep with steel bumpers a couple of months ago. We went with the insurance recommended repair shop and they initially estimated a 1 day repair time and about $320 in cost. They had estimated based on the plastic bumper, not steel. They also did not look at how deep the bumper cut into the paint or that the bumper brackets were bent too. All in, it was an 8 day repair and cost $1900. A lot of the time was because they did not know the brackets were bent and had to order them when they tried to reassemble (this happened twice in the same repair). Meanwhile, I was stuck driving a POS rental Nissan while the weather was perfect for having the top down.

20190530_174015_HDR.jpg

20190530_184541.jpg

20190530_173943Edit.jpg

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
From many studies you are better off with flexible bumpers over steel. However in this case her front end took most of the damage simply due to lack of height.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Presuming there is no extended damage to the tailgate, you might consider taking the insurance payout and investing in an aftermarket bumper. There are lots of choices out there but if you're looking for something that looks close to stock but is FAR stronger than the factory bumper you might want to take a look at the M1 rear bumper from @motorcityaftermarket . This is one of my favorite upgrades so far.

IMG_1735.JPG

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I took a right turn just a tad too wide and grazed an Acura MDX with the corner of my steel bumper :facepalm:

Long story short is the Acura made friends with my insurance company, but I was fine with a micro cloth and some 303

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So maybe a 3 in lift on the car?
I guess it depends on who is hitting who? But yeah pretty much every vehicle should be lifted in the front and lowered in the rear if you want to optimize for rear end type accidents. Wouldn't that look stylish? lol

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
take it to jeep. the estimate will be probably be at least 3k. touch it up for a few hundred bucks and take a vacation