Steel bumper gap with winch

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So as those of us that installed a winch into the factory steel bumper know we take out that gap trim piece. I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket gap trim that fits on each side of the winch to cover up the frame rails that that the original trim piece covered. I have thought about cutting the original trim piece to cover up each side, however my concern with that is the single attachment point and if it would come lose and fly off. Anyone try that, or have another solution? If so please post pics! Thanks
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So as those of us that installed a winch into the factory steel bumper know we take out that gap trim piece. I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket gap trim that fits on each side of the winch to cover up the frame rails that that the original trim piece covered. I have thought about cutting the original trim piece to cover up each side, however my concern with that is the single attachment point and if it would come lose and fly off. Anyone try that, or have another solution? If so please post pics! Thanks
https://maximus-3.com/home/jl-filler-trim-plates-zeon

https://maximus-3.com/home/jl-filler-trim-plates-standard

OP
OP
JeepTime

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Justin. I have had these on mine since last fall. No issues at all with quality. As you can see, I also have their bumper bar and no complaints there either. Well-built stuff and a nice finish. Worth it in my opinion.

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Hey Justin. I have had these on mine since last fall. No issues at all with quality. As you can see, I also have their bumper bar and no complaints there either. Well-built stuff and a nice finish. Worth it in my opinion.

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg
It looks like the color match is always a bit off in pictures. Is it noticeable in person?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepTime

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks! I’m probably gonna order a set here. How exactly did they attach, it said self cutting screws? I’m guessing it just screws in to the factory attachment from the original gap liner?

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like the color match is always a bit off in pictures. Is it noticeable in person?
To me it is very slight except under certain lighting conditions. And even so I barely notice. A non issue in my opinion.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I’m probably gonna order a set here. How exactly did they attach, it said self cutting screws? I’m guessing it just screws in to the factory attachment from the original gap liner?
I’m pretty sure the self-tapping screw went straight into the top of the frame rail, but it has been 7 months and can’t be 100% without removing them.

It was an easy install though, and definitely looks better than it did without.

Last edited:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
That gap has always bothered me since installing the winch. Never thought about looking for trim plates... figured is was all just part of having a winch. Glad I came across this thread!

Now if I could just get rid of the horrible front end droop I got from the bumper and winch install. Picked up some 3/4" RC spacers, but haven't installed since it seems to have dropped more like 1-1/2" from the stock plastic rubi bumper. Don't think 3/4" will get me where it was before.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepTime

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I’m pretty sure the self-tapping screw went straight into the top of the frame rail, but it has been 7 months and can’t be 100% without removing them.

It was an easy install though, and definitely looks better than it was without.
Great, thanks again! Last question! Did you need to remove the bumper to get those on or were you able to just get them installed by themselves without moving the bumper off again?

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Great, thanks again! Last question! Did you need to remove the bumper to get those on or were you able to just get them installed by themselves without moving the bumper off again?
No need to remove the bumper. They just kind of lay on top of the frame rail, though there are two little lips on each one to help line them up. Pic is crappy because of sunlight, but looking underneath you can see what I'm talking about.

IMG_2913.jpg

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
With the steel bumper group and the filler plates from Maximus-3 is it still possible to fit a winch cover to protect synthetic line? If so any recommendation?

FYI I will be installing a Smittybilt X20 12000lb winch with synthetic line.

The Bartcact winch cover looks good and I found a few reviews that say it fits the x20 but with the way the winch is sunk into the bumper and with the filler plate I wonder if its possible to put on...

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Any covers work with a recessed winch to protect the top and the line from the sun/weather?

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Here's some pictures of my Maximus plates (along with some ugly cube light wiring I still need to zip-tie out of the way). They are very good quality and very easy to install. The provided self-cutting screw taps threads into an existing hole on the bumper. Maximus sells two plates - one for Warn winches and another for all the other winches, be sure to order the right one.
upload_2019-12-22_21-44-46.png

upload_2019-12-22_21-48-18.png
Sponsored