Steel & Aluminum tariff

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
**This is not intended to be a political debate thread - Please don’t get all hate monger about political people & parties here**

Anyone else who’s been waiting to place their JL order worried about the potential steel & aluminum tariff going into effect? What impact do you foresee a 25% increase on steel and 10% on aluminum affecting JL prices? When would that even start to take effect on auto prices? I assume Jeep imports their metals?

If you place an order now with a dealer is the purchase price set as of that order date? Or is final purchase price set when you take possession? Any recommended timing, strategy, or suggestions to avoid a price hike (that at least for me) would make a new JL unobtainable? Or am just being paranoid?
Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I assume Jeep imports their metals?
How they source their metals doesn't matter; tariffs make everything more expensive for everyone (which is why Bush ended his within 18 months of enacting them last time). Domestic metal producers (many of which are owned by Russian oligarchs, imagine that!) will raise their prices roughly in lockstep with the tariffs.

FCA clearly saw this coming, since they added $350 to the destination charge out of nowhere recently. It was a sneaky way to pass on the costs to consumers without upping the MSRP mid-model year.

P.S. Despite your disclaimer, I guarantee this thread will devolve into a name-calling sh*tshow. People can't help themselves.

Drew777x

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340i; JLUR Billet - Coming Soon!
I wouldn't worry too much either way. If tariffs do go into effect it will weaken the economy, potentially bringing down the price of the Wrangler.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
**This is not intended to be a political debate thread - Please don’t get all hate monger about political people & parties here**

Anyone else who’s been waiting to place their JL order worried about the potential steel & aluminum tariff going into effect? What impact do you foresee a 25% increase on steel and 10% on aluminum affecting JL prices? When would that even start to take effect on auto prices? I assume Jeep imports their metals?

If you place an order now with a dealer is the purchase price set as of that order date? Or is final purchase price set when you take possession? Any recommended timing, strategy, or suggestions to avoid a price hike (that at least for me) would make a new JL unobtainable? Or am just being paranoid?
Unfortunately, this new tariff on steel and aluminum will cause price increases on just about anything made with steel or aluminum. Jeeps, cars, trucks, lawnmowers, washing machines, refrigerators - you name it. If it is made with steel or aluminum a tariff will usually cause the price of that item to increase.

It really does not matter if the manufacturer uses imported or American steel/aluminum. If American steel/aluminum producers kept their prices low because of cheaper imports, when the imported product's prices increase because of a tariff, it will allow the American producers to raise their prices accordingly.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Yeah no. I've never seen the price of a well selling vehicle like the Wrangler drop in MSRP. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a manufacturer lower the price mid product cycle.

I wouldn't worry too much either way. If tariffs do go into effect it will weaken the economy, potentially bringing down the price of the Wrangler.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Yeah no. I've never seen the price of a well selling vehicle like the Wrangler drop in MSRP. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a manufacturer lower the price mid product cycle.
It doesn't affect MSRP, it affects discounts/incentives. We bought a couple vehicles during the economic crisis (2007-2008), and the deals were outrageous. One legendary example was the "GM Employee Pricing Plus" on the Saab 9-2x. The car was a gussied up Subaru WRX, and right before GM went bankrupt, you could get a fancier WRX from GM for like $10k less than the 99% identical car from Subaru.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Aluminum tariffs are already in place and have been since November - we produce barrier products that use aluminum foil and we have seen huge increases. Problem is there is no domestic suppliers for foi the foil we use so we have to buy from China. We are looking at alternate sources of supply primarily Brazil which has come on board as of recent.

Drew777x

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340i; JLUR Billet - Coming Soon!
Aluminum tariffs are already in place and have been since November - we produce barrier products that use aluminum foil and we have seen huge increases. Problem is there is no domestic suppliers for foi the foil we use so we have to buy from China. We are looking at alternate sources of supply primarily Brazil which has come on board as of recent.
I work at the BMW factory so I'll also get to see the result 1st hand. If Canada and Mexico get some kind of exemption from it than I don't think prices will go up much.

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Based on input here it sounds like I'm just being paranoid that Jeep is going to change MSRP in the next few months to compensate for change in materials cost? Or do we just have no idea until it happens?
Sponsored