Sponsored

Staying or getting off the bandwagon?

Where is your temperature on the JL as of now?

• I want a JL, no doubt!

Votes: 98 52.1%
  • I probably will get a JL, but still holding out for more details

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • I'm starting to consider a JK, or another vehicle altogether

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • I don't want a JL anymore

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited
I'll be keeping my JK for the foreseeable future - it's exactly the way I want it. But if half doors are an option on the JL I would pick one up as a daily driver and basically leave it stock, maybe just do a lift and tires.

Of course that's what I said about the JK Rubi before long arm, 37's, bumpers, fenders, roll cage, hydro steering, onboard air, gears, g2 axles, etc.

Yeah, who am I kidding, I'm going to mod the hell out of it. Definitely will still keep the JK though, and half doors on the JL are the deal breaker. No halfies, no interest.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Well I just pulled the trigger on this 2017 Sahara, which at $27,574 is almost loaded.

http://www.dulleschryslerdodgejeep....Leesburg-85d6a7740a0e0ae757ee4a82fc9e7d0e.htm

I think the only things it doesn't have are leather seats, bigger axle ratio, Trac-Lok rear, towing and premium sound. All things I can live without for that price. The deal was just too good to pass up and wait for a JL. I can always put better speakers and an amp in myself.

You can't even touch a used JK for this price in most cases. I'm going to miss my old 1997 Wrangler it has served me well for 21 years but it was time to move into the 21st century! :)

May I ask maybe a dumb question, I never saw those kind of bumpers on the 2 dr JK's, are they stock option?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
May I ask maybe a dumb question, I never saw those kind of bumpers on the 2 dr JK's, are they stock option?
Yes, but for Special Editions, starting with the 2016 Winter Edition, the Backcountry;

CC87EB61-CDD6-4704-B04C-C85766AD751A.png

and on the Current Winter Edition which is likely the 2017 Sahara based JK from the previous link actually a Winter edt.;

https://www.jeep.com/limited-editions/2017/wrangler/winter/index.html

You can also order it through MOPAR, but I don’t think you can add it to a build-sheet, for other models.

imstriker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L
I had to jump off unfortunately. I wanted to come back after my '15 GC but the lack of towing improvements ended it for me. Looks like I'm in for the JT or the GC redesign. Since I had my last JKU we upgraded our boat and the 3500 pounds just won't cut it.

Sponsored

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Pretty hyped for a JLU Sahara now that I've seen pics. I know it's a Jeep and the way the interior looks shouldn't matter that much, but it does to me and I sincerely hope I don't have to replace that blasé tan dash.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have been very gung ho on the JL but honestly I am starting to move into the "need more info" camp. I am looking to buy an Unlimited Sport with manual transmission.

From what I have seen, I am not sure it is worth the premium for the JLU. It all depends on the new manual transmission and how it drives compared to the JK now. The exterior is pretty similar. The interior options I want are going to add a lot to the price. And some things, like LED lighting group, don't even appear to be available.

So instead of custom ordering my dream JL I may be looking for a great deal on a JKU on a lot next summer.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Those are AEV (American Expedition Vehicles) front and rear bumpers. I’m looking forward to see what AEV designs for the JL.

Yes, but for Special Editions, starting with the 2016 Winter Edition, the Backcountry;

CC87EB61-CDD6-4704-B04C-C85766AD751A.png

and on the Current Winter Edition which is likely the 2017 Sahara based JK from the previous link actually a Winter edt.;

https://www.jeep.com/limited-editions/2017/wrangler/winter/index.html

You can also order it through MOPAR, but I don’t think you can add it to a build-sheet, for other models.

Solar Sailor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
From what I am seeing at a high volume jeep dealer, it looks like some of their 2 door 2018 JKs are already discounted almost $3,000 off MSRP. If this becomes a trend, it might indicate $5,000 to $7,000 difference between a 2018 JK on the lot vs a 2018 JL at the time of introduction sold at MSRP with no real discount. Assuming the dealer had a JK with the features I want, I must admit that such a cost difference would swing my purchase choice in favor of the JK. It would also allow me to trade the JK a few years down the road on a JL after some of the "new design recall" issues were resolved.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
So, I am still wavering but leaning pretty heavily towards a JK at this point, primarily for a “happy wife happy life” predicament. I have a question for guys with half doors. I went to look at a ‘17 with half doors, dealer knew I was coming so they “cleaned it up”, running it through the car wash.

Here’s the predicament, when I test drove it, the driver side floor was really wet. I am assuming due to the pressure of the water in the car wash, but it had rained recently, anything I should be concerned about, or no biggie, just the car wash pressure. If just the car wash I ain’t gonna sweat it, I won’t be driving through them regularly

Sponsored

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
So, I am still wavering but leaning pretty heavily towards a JK at this point, primarily for a “happy wife happy life” predicament. I have a question for guys with half doors. I went to look at a ‘17 with half doors, dealer knew I was coming so they “cleaned it up”, running it through the car wash.

Here’s the predicament, when I test drove it, the driver side floor was really wet. I am assuming due to the pressure of the water in the car wash, but it had rained recently, anything I should be concerned about, or no biggie, just the car wash pressure. If just the car wash I ain’t gonna sweat it, I won’t be driving through them regularly
A jeep is a jeep - It's good at many things. Fantastic off-road ability off the showroom floor. Great looks (all generations, subjective).

Leakproof roofs are not Jeeps strengths, any gen, soft or hard . Think about why you want a Jeep. If a leaky roof is a problem, look elsewhere. This coming from a Jeep for life guy.

EDIT: this is true for many "what should I get?" posts over the internet. Just be honest about what you want. Be REALLY honest about what you want, or more specifically, what you care about. You want a Jeep to off-road? Cool! You want to look great in the parking lot of a suburb? Thats cool too! Everyone, including myself, can be deceived as to what one really wants from friends, facility, tv or even reddit. Want a Jeep? Get it! Want a 70's GMC truck? Get it! I wasted many years not buying what I wanted because I was not honest with myself about what I wanted. You and your wife - what maters in your car/truck?

All I'm trying to say is be honest about what you want, but more importantly WHY you want that thing</drunk rant>

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't run mine through a car wash unless it has hard doors on it. Soft doors or uppers are problematic with high pressure water, and its likely you'll get washed, too. That said, I'd let it dry out, then sit in it and have the dealer run a hose over it, but not at high pressure. I'd just make sure you don't have one with a problem.

With the hard doors and soft top, mine can handle a touchless car wash with a very small amount of spray getting in on a couple spots, but it isn't nearly enough to soak anything, much less the carpet.

It is probably fine, but I'd just check to be sure. I agree with Jeppessin, but it shouldn't be puddling on the floor. A few Jeeps have leak issues that they should not have.

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
Well I just pulled the trigger on this 2017 Sahara, which at $27,574 is almost loaded.

http://www.dulleschryslerdodgejeep....Leesburg-85d6a7740a0e0ae757ee4a82fc9e7d0e.htm

I think the only things it doesn't have are leather seats, bigger axle ratio, Trac-Lok rear, towing and premium sound. All things I can live without for that price. The deal was just too good to pass up and wait for a JL. I can always put better speakers and an amp in myself.

You can't even touch a used JK for this price in most cases. I'm going to miss my old 1997 Wrangler it has served me well for 21 years but it was time to move into the 21st century! :)
My neck of the woods. I'll keep,them in mind when I pull the trigger on. JK or JL

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
No action in this thread in a while, but I will update to say I decided to jump off the bandwagon, and bought myself a 2017 bright white unlimited sport with half doors. There were two very big driving factors for me.

One, even though it is 99% my car, I still value the wife's opinion, and she really was not a fan of the look of the JL's. There are things I didn't like about the appearance, but there were things I liked better about the JL's than the JK's, but not enough to fight that battle, so that pushed me to the JK. So that was not a personal preference thing, just a keep the wife happy thing.

Half door availability was my primary personal reason. Yes, I know I can get them on the aftermarket, but I didn't want to have to pay for them when I can get them for free getting a JK. Finding a half door on the lot was really hard, so I had to jump at the opportunity while I could I felt.

There are some other factors that played into it as well:
  • The dealer was offering me a fantastic value for my trade, even more than what I thought I would be offered, and didn't want to miss out on that opportunity.
  • My current wrangler was starting to nickle and dime me to death, so it was just time. Had 110k miles
  • the base price jump, for what was important to me, was not worth getting a JL. I am a pretty basic guy and was pretty happy with my JK, and nothing that was coming down the pike in the JL was so outstanding to me where I said "I gotta have it!!!, where I would get a JL no matter what. The only substantial improvement for what mattered to me was the lack of zippers on the soft top. Not important enough to be a deciding factor.
  • I didn't really want a hard top this time anyway, but the same ole same ole with the hard top made that a non-factor.
That's my story. I am going to stick around on the forum though, because for one, I enjoy the hell out of it, and I am curious to see what everyone else gets. And I want to see how Aventus pimps his ride when he gets it!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on your JK!
Sponsored