Sponsored

Staying or getting off the bandwagon?

Where is your temperature on the JL as of now?

• I want a JL, no doubt!

Votes: 98 52.1%
  • I probably will get a JL, but still holding out for more details

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • I'm starting to consider a JK, or another vehicle altogether

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • I don't want a JL anymore

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Tow capacity has been revealed and it hasn't changed - see Weight, Tow Capacity, Max Payload for JL / JLU Wrangler and JT Scrambler
I know...but people expecting it to increase is ludicrous (it was mentioned in the OP as a reason people are no longer considering the vehicle). It's a vehicle constraint...not engine and the cost to add the upgraded parts isn't worth it to the general public who will never get close to the base tow capacity as is.

Like I said...for those that need heavier towing...they (Jeep) could have an option for a heavier towing package, but it wouldn't be cheap and it's probably not worth it to them yet.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't think people are expecting the JL's tow rating to go to 10,000 lbs.

However, keeping it at 3,500 is miserable. Does Jeep not realize that these are lifestyle vehicles? Jeep Wrangler owners are THE people who would like to pull boats, campers, etc. And if you put a family of 5 into a JLU, hook up even a moderately sized camper, and put gear in it you're already well over the legal limit.

Jeep is holding themselves back by building Wranglers with miserable ratings. Go back to the post WWII days when the CJ became famous. Originally it was meant to work. They even had farm implements and 3-point hitches and PTO accessories for them. Fast forward several decades and you can't even tow a camper. Ridiculous.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

However, keeping it at 3,500 is miserable. Does Jeep not realize that these are lifestyle vehicles? Jeep Wrangler owners are THE people who would like to pull boats, campers, etc. And if you put a family of 5 into a JLU, hook up even a moderately sized camper, and put gear in it you're already well over the legal limit.

Jeep is holding themselves back by building Wranglers with miserable ratings. Go back to the post WWII days when the CJ became famous. Originally it was meant to work. They even had farm implements and 3-point hitches and PTO accessories for them. Fast forward several decades and you can't even tow a camper. Ridiculous.
Disagree. Jeep has kept laser focus on keeping the Wrangler an off road rig. Good off road capabilities are numero uno, where towing has never been on Jeep's radar for this vehicle. Now, having said that, I too want a better towing rig. To FCA's credit, they are building the JT, which has 6500lb towing capacity.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Disagree. Jeep has kept laser focus on keeping the Wrangler an off road rig. Good off road capabilities are numero uno, where towing has never been on Jeep's radar for this vehicle. Now, having said that, I too want a better towing rig. To FCA's credit, they are building the JT, which has 6500lb towing capacity.
I agree with this. Jeep is creating the JT which is a 4-door jeep with good towing capacity and a diesel option. Why isn't everyone happy? They get several things they didn't get before without really giving anything up!

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Problem is you can't have a suspension that performs well off-road (soft) and also tows well. It would be one or the other. If you're looking for something to tow with, wrangler has not been the answer since the TJ.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Just wait til the Chinese buy jeep from FCA then see how its gets screwed-up.
Hasn’t hurt Volvo so far. The Indians didn’t screw-up Jaguar & LR either.
Meanwhile, Ford did hurt both companies by stealing from them to support their flagging products instead of investing in them to make the brands stronger.

There is no reason to think they would be any worse than Americans who can ruin companies (both foreign and domestic) without any outside help.

At least the Chinese would be motivated to have successful models vs Ford or GM undercutting them to help support their own traditional F n G nameplates.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Hasn’t hurt Volvo so far. The Indians didn’t screw-up Jaguar & LR either.
Meanwhile, Ford did hurt both companies by stealing from them to support their flagging products instead of investing in them to make the brands stronger.

There is no reason to think they would be any worse than Americans who can ruin companies (both foreign and domestic) without any outside help.

At least the Chinese would be motivated to have successful models vs Ford or GM undercutting them to help support their own traditional F n G nameplates.
Well, I think Tata acquired Land Rover around 2008, and then later in 2016 Land Rover stopped making the Defender. So that was not cool. Still hoping Tata manages to resurrect the Defender at some point. Had hopes Ford would have made a go of bringing the Defender back to US soil but that did not happen. Unfortunately Land Rover is now aimed mostly at the luxury SUV market at least here in the states. With Wrangler prices creeping up I hope Jeep is not headed in that direction. A friend of mine bought a loaded 4 door Rubicon (because apparently he needs that capability to get to the gym and grocery store lol), and lord knows what he dropped on that vehicle.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Well, I think Tata acquired Land Rover around 2008, and then later in 2016 Land Rover stopped making the Defender. So that was not cool.
That was regulatory, and Tata did everything to exend that production, pushing back the original drop dead dates by about a year. That’s not the sign of someone voluntarily droping the Defender.

Still hoping Tata manages to resurrect the Defender at some point.
That seems to be the plan, but like the Bronco, they will both be shadows ofmtheir former selves.

Had hopes Ford would have made a go of bringing the Defender back to US soil but that did not happen.
Wouldn’t happen for the same reason, but they brought over all the other Land Rover elements to FORD’s own SUV lines.

Unfortunately Land Rover is now aimed mostly at the luxury SUV market at least here in the states. With Wrangler prices creeping up I hope Jeep is not headed in that direction.
LR and especially Range Rover has been a luxury SUV brand for decades, long before Tata, that’s nothing new, Tata’s just put effort into it to make it more than a joke of a premium brand, which is the opposite of what people expected from a cheap Indian product. Tata resurrected both brands, Ford did not.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Never in my life would I have imagined that I'd own a yellow or orange vehicle, but I think I'm going to hold off on ordering until I can get in Nacho. I'd love an army green with a tan soft top, but that doesn't really feel like it's coming anytime soon.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
So far I've owned blue, yellow and red Wranglers. I think orange or green would be in my future. Hopefully Jeep changes the color choices in a couple years when I'm ready to buy.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As a fan of "Simple Rugged Reliable", I'm falling in love with my 2015 JK Sport all over again.
Only options, 3:73 gearing, A/C for the dogs, hardtop . The manual transmission is a must.
Rubicon Take-Offs, and a bunch of DIYs have it "just right" for me. What's "Just Right " for others is their Journey.
The JL has gone up in size, price, electronic complexity . I'm looking forward to seeing the "Heir to the Throne", but will take a Wait and See stance. Plenty of time, since the 2dr JL isn't due on dealers lots until late Spring, and the colors/ options I might like aren't even listed yet.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
As a fan of "Simple Rugged Reliable", I'm falling in love with my 2015 JK Sport all over again.
Only options, 3:73 gearing, A/C for the dogs, hardtop . The manual transmission is a must.
Rubicon Take-Offs, and a bunch of DIYs have it "just right" for me. What's "Just Right " for others is their Journey.
The JL has gone up in size, price, electronic complexity . I'm looking forward to seeing the "Heir to the Throne", but will take a Wait and See stance. Plenty of time, since the 2dr JL isn't due on dealers lots until late Spring, and the colors/ options I might like aren't even listed yet.
The electronic complexity is one of the things that irks me.

I have a '12 JKUR. The Rubi package is all I wanted. So I ordered a soft top, manual, Rubicon.

Well...Rubicon in the JKU comes with heated mirrors, electric windows/locks, etc.

This is why I've been a proponent of Jeep coming out with an option a base Sport add-on of the upgraded axles, lockers, disconnects, transfer case without any of the other "stuff". It would be cheaper than getting a full blown Rubi and keep the Jeep more "Spartan" for those of us that enjoy that.

The Willys was a step in the direction...and a pretty good overall package.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Where's the option in the poll for the JT?
Sponsored