Sponsored

Staying or getting off the bandwagon?

Where is your temperature on the JL as of now?

• I want a JL, no doubt!

Votes: 98 52.1%
  • I probably will get a JL, but still holding out for more details

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • I'm starting to consider a JK, or another vehicle altogether

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • I don't want a JL anymore

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I have been disappointed since the release of the owner's manual, and reading through the threads, I'm not the only one. Curious where everyone stands at this point, as we still are awaiting more details.

Here's some of the things mentioned in the forum:
- Same seats as JK
- No multi-panel hardtop
- lack of airbags in rear
- Cheap and dated looking interior
- unchanged tow ratings
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
just needed to be better than a JK for me. Probably fell short of what I hoped for in a couple of areas but still prefer it to jk.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Disappointed on the same hardtop-unless it also has pop out rear quarter windows. Like the 8sp trans, hoping the 5 position drive modes extends to the Rubicon model. Interior looks just ok-perhaps in another color it will look better. Side air bags, rear camera and led headlights are pluses. Color availability will be a concern as well..

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
I only buy two doors and I'm a little frustrated that there are only two options. I don't need everything the Rubicon has and I'm afraid the Sport won't have the options I want. A two door JL Sahara is what I want.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I really wanted more towing capacity. But the JLU will at least be better at pulling than my current '08 with the 3.8l and crappy 4speed automatic.
Also my 10 year old jeep is burning oil and I only have 117,000KMs on it.

If it was a rubicon with a 5 speed auto then I would be tempted to keep it and drop in a hemi but it's not so time for a new jeep.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Big Pluses for me; stronger "roll cage " , easy - fold windshield, improved manual transmission ,rear camera, side air bags as standard. Better brakes as "standard"? EVIC that covers all vehicle systems and information, constantly updated
Things that SHOULD be standard , LED lighting, 3:73 gears, rubber mat or sprayed interior ( no damn carpets), 32" tires.
Opening rear windows in 2dr hartop, AC vents for rear passengers in 2 dr. Inside hood release... wipe clean vinyl waterproof seats.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just glad Fiat didn't screw it up.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I only buy two doors and I'm a little frustrated that there are only two options. I don't need everything the Rubicon has and I'm afraid the Sport won't have the options I want. A two door JL Sahara is what I want.
I'm in the same boat but I guarantee you will be able to Sahara up the sport.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm still waiting to see what the diesel has to offer. That's all I care about. Display-based instrument clusters, the new UConnect system, backup cameras, and slightly better engines are all great (and are a welcomed improvement to a very dated vehicle), but aren't enough to warrant trading my JK in. My JK is modified exactly to my liking and does everything I need it to do flawlessly.

Much of that has to do with the fact I've eliminated a lot of the JK's inherent flaws through aftermarket modifications. One of the few things remaining in that department I have yet to address is the God-awful stereo.

The JL looks great, but it isn't going to outperform my JK on the trails. That's ultimately what matters to me. For rock crawling and even just general wheeling, I'd love extra torque. I'm somewhat on the fence as to whether or not the diesel will matter given what I've done to my JK and the type of wheeling I do. Going through the user guide and manual has certainly shed a lot more light on the JL, but it's surprising how much HASN'T changed. The general characteristics of the JL are no different than the JK.

My JK has never failed me on the trail. Seems silly at this point in time to trade it in, but then again, I have yet to sit in a JL. If I test drive one and it generally "feels" the same planted on the ground as a JK does, I don't see it happening. I'll definitely be passing on an '18 to avoid first year QC issues that I guarantee will be plentiful.

I look forward to test driving a diesel when they hit lots and then waiting for the '19s to make a decision. For now, my JK is just fine.

eztarget

First Name
Ez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Sahara
This is me as well. I just got back from my dealer tonight and I can still order a loaded Sahara (2 door) for $35K.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
JL will be mine, only have to choose the options I want and wait a year (or so) to see what the diesel offers.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think the Quirks and Confusions will be sorted out in the first year, and hopefully some appealing Special Editions launched.
I prefer to wait, my 2dr is now "just right " , thanks to the aftermarket.
Opening rear windows for Hardtop ? Check. Rubber floor lining ? Check . Easy-open panels for Freedom Top ? Check.
In short, my JK is as I like it, through DIY, and aftermarket, so I'll "wait and see".
A lot of the high tech, cosmetics, people are complaining about are either not needed, or subject to DIY mods.
I want to see how the new components work in the punishing Off Road , the Natural Element of a Wrangler.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
The delay in the launch of the diesel engine is a great adventure.
4runner will be fully updated in 2019 and (by the way is not sold in our current time has been replaced by Fortuner)
2020 will probably launch ford bronco

The wait may be endless...

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Towing capacity was a bummer...for sure, so i will wait for the diesel engine to see if it changes that (it should if we look at the 2.8). Then...if they produce a camo green edition...i'd be all up for it.
Sponsored