Sponsored

Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup?

What would you do?

• Total voters
OP
OP
JeepersCreepers81

JeepersCreepers81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Decided to keep the 3.5” Clayton and just trim as necessary. I think in the long run I’ll be happier especially as a daily driver (for now at least) and a lower CG, especially since I want to run coil overs eventually.
Sponsored

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Decided to keep the 3.5” Clayton and just trim as necessary. I think in the long run I’ll be happier especially as a daily driver (for now at least) and a lower CG, especially since I want to run coil overs eventually.
Sounds like the best route for you with your plans.

I however, just placed an order for 4.5" springs.
Thanks @Headbarcode for talking me into it, lol.
I do have the 6-packs and UD60's in the garage waiting for good weather to install.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I definitely think its the right choice for the kind of driving you seem to plan to do with it. It will still be pretty capable off road while being much better on-road. You have to strike a balance unless its a dedicated off road machine.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the best route for you with your plans.

I however, just placed an order for 4.5" springs.
Thanks @Headbarcode for talking me into it, lol.
I do have the 6-packs and UD60's in the garage waiting for good weather to install.
Oh yeah, with 6-packs and their relocation brackets with 40's, the 4.5" springs will help uptravel without compromising droop.

What front sway links do you have right now?

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Oh yeah, with 6-packs and their relocation brackets with 40's, the 4.5" springs will help uptravel without compromising droop.

What front sway links do you have right now?
I also have the the Antirock sway bars front/rear in the garage waiting for install when I do the axles.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the the Antirock sway bars front/rear in the garage waiting for install when I do the axles.
Nice! They're one of my favorite additions to my Jeep. The links are plenty long enough for the 4.5" Gamechanger. Unfortunately, since I was in a mad dash to get ready for a roadtrip to Tennessee, I didn't flex test my Jeep after swapping to the taller springs. It wasn't until I was on the Metalcloak cti trailer at Jeep Invasion that I saw a couple of issues that were holding me back from fully flexing. One of the issues was made worse by the Antirock links being at least an inch too long. The guy said it would've easily been a 4 digit score if it wasn't for the rear links getting crammed into the bottom edge of my rear aluminum fender liners.

What size bars did you go with? And safe to assume that you have a programmer to delete the edisconnect from the system?

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Nice! They're one of my favorite additions to my Jeep. The links are plenty long enough for the 4.5" Gamechanger. Unfortunately, since I was in a mad dash to get ready for a roadtrip to Tennessee, I didn't flex test my Jeep after swapping to the taller springs. It wasn't until I was on the Metalcloak cti trailer at Jeep Invasion that I saw a couple of issues that were holding me back from fully flexing. One of the issues was made worse by the Antirock links being at least an inch too long. The guy said it would've easily been a 4 digit score if it wasn't for the rear links getting crammed into the bottom edge of my rear aluminum fender liners.

What size bars did you go with? And safe to assume that you have a programmer to delete the edisconnect from the system?
Thanks for that heads up on the rear clearance, I'll definitely look at that. I have the same AAL inner fenders too :). I am not sure I will stay with the AAL since I have to trim the pinch seems though, or I will have to cut them up.

I went with the .770 bars for the time being. I have a Tazer mini on now and really like it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that heads up on the rear clearance, I'll definitely look at that. I have the same AAL inner fenders too :). I am not sure I will stay with the AAL since I have to trim the pinch seems though, or I will have to cut them up.

I went with the .770 bars for the time being. I have a Tazer mini on now and really like it.
We've got twins! 😆

Yeah, the AAL mounting plates that the dzus fasteners attach liners to have to be trimmed along with the pinch seams. I still have to reattach the rear lower dzus socket that got trimmed off on both sides.

Not the greatest pics of the pie slice that had to come off, but here's before and after...

Jeep Wrangler JL Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup? 20220818_114723
Jeep Wrangler JL Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup? 20220818_153109

Supposedly, the Nemesis liners play well with trimmed seams.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
CoG >>> then a little extra up travel. I've ran just about every set up possible up to and including insane flex. Keep your Jeep as low as possible, adjust your up travel and increase your droop as able.

j371.jpg

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
We've got twins! 😆

Yeah, the AAL mounting plates that the dzus fasteners attach liners to have to be trimmed along with the pinch seams. I still have to reattach the rear lower dzus socket that got trimmed off on both sides.

Not the greatest pics of the pie slice that had to come off, but here's before and after...

Jeep Wrangler JL Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup? j371
Jeep Wrangler JL Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup? j371

Supposedly, the Nemesis liners play well with trimmed seams.
Thanks for the pics, actually look good.
Gives me an idea what needs to be trimmed.
Did yo have to trim the front side of the rear pinch seams as well as well?
What about the front?

I was eyeing the nemesis inner rear's. I also have some poison Spyder inners I was using before, they might work I'll have to see. The AAL fronts I have not even installed yet, sitting in the garage.

The 4.5" springs showed up today. I guess I will sell the brand new MC 3.5" springs now.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pics, actually look good.
Gives me an idea what needs to be trimmed.
Did yo have to trim the front side of the rear pinch seams as well as well?
What about the front?

I was eyeing the nemesis inner rear's. I also have some poison Spyder inners I was using before, they might work I'll have to see. The AAL fronts I have not even installed yet, sitting in the garage.

The 4.5" springs showed up today. I guess I will sell the brand new MC 3.5" springs now.
I only trimmed the rear of the rear. I pay no attention to manufacturers suggested control arm lengths. I adjust them to first center the tires in the wheelwells at normal ride height, before fine tuning caster and pinion angles. That tends to result in the tires arching back and up, just enough to avoid rubbing on the front of the rear wheelwells. I'm seriously considering the Metalcloak db3 rear control arm drop brackets, so I'm not yet ruling out the possibility of having to trim the front of the rears. Still, I don't see it needing as much taken out.

The only rubbing I had in the front, was on the mopar steel bumper wings. Fortunately, I had already planned on permanently removing them. Otherwise, the only rubbing I get is the top of the inner shoulder of the front tires hitting the AAL liners at full stuff when articulating the front axle.

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I only trimmed the rear of the rear. I pay no attention to manufacturers suggested control arm lengths. I adjust them to first center the tires in the wheelwells at normal ride height, before fine tuning caster and pinion angles. That tends to result in the tires arching back and up, just enough to avoid rubbing on the front of the rear wheelwells. I'm seriously considering the Metalcloak db3 rear control arm drop brackets, so I'm not yet ruling out the possibility of having to trim the front of the rears. Still, I don't see it needing as much taken out.

The only rubbing I had in the front, was on the mopar steel bumper wings. Fortunately, I had already planned on permanently removing them. Otherwise, the only rubbing I get is the top of the inner shoulder of the front tires hitting the AAL liners at full stuff when articulating the front axle.
Sounds good.
I was thinking I would adjust the arms so the bump stops are fairly centered on the pads, then set caster, then trim where needed.
I have the DB3 brackets now, they are nice. They seem to push the axle rearward a bit at minimum CA length anyway, at least for me, and understandably the arc swing will change for the better. definitely don't use the lengths in the instructions.

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good.
I was thinking I would adjust the arms so the bump stops are fairly centered on the pads, then set caster, then trim where needed.
I have the DB3 brackets now, they are nice. They seem to push the axle rearward a bit at minimum CA length anyway, at least for me, and understandably the arc swing will change for the better. definitely don't use the lengths in the instructions.
Here is mine just got my UD60s installed with the MC 4.5 on Nitto 40s so you can see what you would be looking like with the stance.

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1575 2.jpeg

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Here is mine just got my UD60s installed with the MC 4.5 on Nitto 40s so you can see what you would be looking like with the stance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup? IMG_1575 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup? IMG_1575 2
Looks awesome man! Thanks for posting.
You running hydro assist yet?

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome man! Thanks for posting.
You running hydro assist yet?
Yes I went with the full psc kit. Its tucked behind the tie rod.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stay 3.5” or go 4.5” lift on current setup? IMG_1577

IMG_1578 2.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: