First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Hi all:

I can't find the thread (or posts) but it's been discussed here how the 4xe's owner's manual has detailed situations where extremes of temperature, in fact extremes not unlikely to be seen in the States, prevent the 4xe from starting.

Has this ever been resolved in terms of its accuracy or some fix?

I don't know what battery/batteries crank the the engine. But it would seem to me that a temperature sensor could detect such extremes and signal the vehicle to crank the engine, and run off of it exclusively, rather than charging or discharging (using) the battery bank below the back seat)...thereby allow it to share the same temperature range of operation as any of the ICE based JLs.

..that is if the cranking battery is not also the propulsion battery.

Thanks.
Sponsored

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
It will most definitely be interesting for me, being in northern Wisconsin, when we get the extreme cold temps. I always park indoors, but on the days when I am at work, and its -20 outside.....itll be interesting to see.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I started that thread - we have no definitive answer, just speculation. I'm thinking about waiting until one of our 115 degree days in July and then wandering over to a dealer late afternoon and seeing if a 4xe will start up (assuming someone didn't test drive it 30 minutes earlier).

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I started that thread - we have no definitive answer, just speculation. I'm thinking about waiting until one of our 115 degree days in July and then wandering over to a dealer late afternoon and seeing if a 4xe will start up (assuming someone didn't test drive it 30 minutes earlier).
The thing of it is that provided the ICE plant has its own cranking battery (I don't know--maybe someone does) that a simple probe and software flashing of the cranking algorithm could have the vehicle forget about the battery bank below the back seats in such extremes, need be.

Sigh. If Stellantis doesn't do this, assuming it is a problem, the aftermarket I suspect will.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I believe the 4xe still has a standard Lead Acid battery under the hood doesn’t it? So I’m sure it uses that battery to crank the engine during a cold start just like the eTorque Jeeps still have a Lead Acid battery and a transitional starter for the first-of-the-day cold start even though it uses the electric motor to restart the engine during all subsequent start/stop events.

As for the temperature issue, the only possible problem I can see with that is the fact that the 4xe does not use a traditional ZF8HP50/75 transmission used in other JLs. It uses a different, hybrid oriented, ZF8P75PH, which incorporates an electric motor in series with the driveline, mounted where the torque converter would traditionally be. Now I’m no expert but what this means is that if the vehicle is moving, that motor is spinning (as long as you’re not rolling in neutral).

Even if you are only using the gas engine, that motor will rotate the same way the input shaft of a torque converter always rotates in conjunction with the engine crankshaft.
Perhaps the fact that the electric motor in the transmission always spins is the reason the 4xe can’t be driven in extreme temperatures, even with only the ICE running? Because based on temperature, the oil/fluid in that motor would be cooler/warmer than its operating temperature range, even if it’s only rotating because of the engine and is not actively producing power. On a side note, that spinning will create energy and that energy needs to go somewhere, and if the batteries are too cold/hot for them to function properly, that motor will not be able to dissipate its’ produced energy into the batteries, causing it to overheat quickly. This is another issue to think about

I look forward to getting more real world information about all the little details of the 4xe in the coming weeks!

Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I think you're onto something, because if there's no torque converter, the only way to get the vehicle moving is by using the electric motor and drawing current from the batteries to do so.

TH0R

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Any update on this ? It’s going to start getting hot here in the northeast ...I’m hoping once it gets a certain degree the car will pump the battery cooling when needed ..

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
This most likely won't be known until the areas which higher levels or lower levels in the winter actually get to that point in their year. No one should be at that point yet.

ThePurpleRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interested in Wrangler 4xe
This most likely won't be known until the areas which higher levels or lower levels in the winter actually get to that point in their year. No one should be at that point yet.
Vegas reporting in- predicted to get to 98F tomorrow, not quite triple digits, but we'll be there soon. My 4xe will be parked in the driveway, and I'll report back if anything funny happens.

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It will most definitely be interesting for me, being in northern Wisconsin, when we get the extreme cold temps. I always park indoors, but on the days when I am at work, and its -20 outside.....itll be interesting to see.
I'm in central Wisconsin and thinking the same thing. Luckily I won't be in the market until next March so hopefully I'll get all the info I need on cold weather before I purchase a 4xe.

Reactions: CsD

Sponsored

TH0R

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Vegas reporting in- predicted to get to 98F tomorrow, not quite triple digits, but we'll be there soon. My 4xe will be parked in the driveway, and I'll report back if anything funny happens.
Hoping it starts right up for you . Wonder if the battery ac automatically flips on when temp is at a certain degree …

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
In Florida, I know internal temps when kept in the sun could hit that high mark. It could be solved by running the recirc. But there are so many Tesla cars here and I never hear of them having any issues.

When plugged in I think it will keep the battery cooled.

TH0R

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Would the gas engine start if the battery pack was to hot or to cold ?

dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
It was 98F in Murrieta, CA and my 4xe started as normal for my drive around town, no issues. When I got back home one or more of the cooling systems kicked on, when I turned the Jeep off, for about five minutes.
Sponsored