Sponsored

Starting to regret bigger wheels and tires….any words of encouragement ??

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Wasn't looking for pis of the lie o meter. I was looking for a ride while getting this mpg. Plus a two door sport with small road tires is a far cry from a loaded rubicon with a lift, 37s, steel bumper, winch, ect..... I also bet your not driving 80 mph up and down hills. Merging on and off the highway, idling in stop and go traffic.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
To repeat myself in nauseam, tire size or circumference has no input on the transmissions shifts.

I'm going to bow out until somebody presents more than just their opinion.
I won't argue the point. You have your resources and I have my personal experience with programers and large tire upgrades. We will leave it at that. Neither one of us is going to convince the other. Let the member decide what is best for them.

As already stated, I vote to change gear ratios whenever changing tire size along with a programmer.

As far as you going to bow out I will be surprised if you do. But hey that's just my personal experience of how these threads go. :like:

This trains off the tracks and it's not coming back...
This is almost like an oil thread!!:LOL:

Yes Brad, brakes is another huge consideration to think about when upgrading to heavier wheels and tires.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Wasn't looking for pis of the lie o meter. I was looking for a ride while getting this mpg. Plus a two door sport with small road tires is a far cry from a loaded rubicon with a lift, 37s, steel bumper, winch, ect..... I also bet your not driving 80 mph up and down hills. Merging on and off the highway, idling in stop and go traffic.
You're right, I am running 37's 100lbs a corner and 100lbs on the spare on 2 door now and getting by with 18-19 mpg on the receipts. 20ish on the lie o meter. Hills I got, steel bumpers I got, steel running boards, am I fully loaded no. I just don't want to tuck anyone in for bed without telling them a nice story first. I just wanted to share my experience, also without discrediting anyone here. To the OP I agree again with the members here suggesting the Tazer

I have used threads like this to get to my current setup and the discourse has been very helpful over the years.

Get ready for the opinion part of my response.
Being a tech nerd myself I just don't get why everyone hates the tech side of these Jeeps. Just rip the dash out if everything is a lie. I see it all the time "no need to change the tire size" etc. So why is it there? Why does it come with a size option at all? Why do they have an MPG calculator? All this digital film flam is governments fault - not like the engineers at Jeep want to sell and improve on their products at all. No one wants to work right? I'm not against anyone trying to contribute to help the OP.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Geez...!

I was getting 19-20 MPG on 33s —275/70R18
I drive like I don't care about fuel economy, cause I mostly don't. I But with regular at 4.15/gal at Costco the last fillup, it does seem pretty high. Still, at this time it doesn't hurt much, since I'm not driving much. I have to fill up on average maybe once or twice a month at most. I guess if it was a burden, I'd have bought one of those "clown cars" as my calls them, Smartcar is the trade name.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I won't argue the point. You have your resources and I have my personal experience with programers and large tire upgrades. We will leave it at that. Neither one of us is going to convince the other. Let the member decide what is best for them.

As already stated, I vote to change gear ratios whenever changing tire size along with a programmer.

As far as you going to bow out I will be surprised if you do. But hey that's just my personal experience of how these threads go. :like:

This is almost like an oil thread!!:LOL:

Yes Brad, brakes is another huge consideration to think about when upgrading to heavier wheels and tires.
I saw this discussion was curious and started searching. I located a service manual for the 8hp45. Possibly they have some similarities in their system design and shift logic. This is a logic chart for the shift points.
Jeep Wrangler JL Starting to regret bigger wheels and tires….any words of encouragement ?? 8hp45 shift logic

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This thread has been an interesting read. I have the stock Rubicon wheels and 33x11 KO2s. I don't really feel the need for a lift and I'm really fine with the 33" tire size. But, I do want a wider tire for purely aesthetic purposes.

I've been thinking about going with Fuel Block wheels and 33 x 12.5 KO2s. Anyone have any experience going this route? I know it still adds weight, but hopefully not as much of a drag on MPG if I only go wider, not taller & wider.
My experience with my 14 GMC crewcab truck was that I had street tread 31.6" x 10.4 tire stock and I put on a hybrid AT/mud tire that was 32.6" x 12.2". The diameter was increased 1" but I think the rolling resistance played a large role in killing the highway mileage from about 19mpg @ 75mph to 15mpg. I would put a good bit of that on the tread pattern being aggressive as well as the width. Big Tires Matter.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how it works out. That will help someone who reads the thread in the future.

Remember to post some before and after pictures.

Will do brother. It's gonna be a week or so before I can get it to the tire shop. Trucks in the body shop (don't ask :) ), and them big 'ol tars ain't gonna fit in the back of the Jeep.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Did anyone upgrade brakes or is the stock heavy duty brakes sufficient?
Like the Rubicon, my Sahara came with the HD brakes. 48k+ miles and so far so good. I’ve not noticed fading coming down a few mountains with my 34.5“ tall and HEAVY 295/70/18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’S. 98lbs each with the stock 25 lb 18x7.5”wheels.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I saw this discussion was curious and started searching. I located a service manual for the 8hp45. Possibly they have some similarities in their system design and shift logic. This is a logic chart for the shift points.
8hp45 shift logic.jpg
It seems like there is a reluctance on the part of some Jeep drivers to accept that the acceleration input and the engine torque input incorporate all the information that would be suggested by some or any arbitrary value of "speed" (a.k.a. velocity). In other words, "speed" is irrelevant since inertia is already accounted for.

I think an analogy to a manual transmissions can be useful in explaining the idea, as I believe that any experienced driver of a passenger/sports/light truck type of vehicle knows that they can shift through a manual gear set with their eyes closed. We can feel the power train's relationship with the system inertia and we all naturally know when it is time time shift gears to make best use of the vehicle. Sure, changes in the system will require changes in shifting habits, so we make the adjustments The inputs we sense don't have anything to do with some specific velocity. The sensations are recognition of the relationship between acceleration and inertia. That number on the speedometer is not really part of equation, even if you staring at it and thinking it is.

The concept of speed is just an arbitrary value. Miles? Kilometers? There's no need to know those figures if you have access to information about how the applied torque relates to the resulting acceleration. Any important information conveyed by velocity is "baked" into the information about the change in velocity, which is described as acceleration.

Last edited:

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This chart, copied from the article linked too previously in this thread, elaborates on the conditions where wheel speed, and differences in wheel speeds, are an influence on the ancillary Low Traction and Stability control functions of the ZF 850 series transmissions

Jeep Wrangler JL Starting to regret bigger wheels and tires….any words of encouragement ?? ZF 850 transmission trouble shoot

These comments refer to transmission's ability to react in a cooperative manner when other systems in the vehicle may find it inconvenient for the drive train to continue transmitting force to the wheels.

Sponsored

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I recently put on 35’s on my 19’ JLUR 2.0 with no lift, fits amazingly and definitely looks more like a real Jeep now, but when I ran stock, is was a race car especially on the highway.. now it feels like it’s struggling to shift or maintain higher speeds, i know heavier tires would effect speed and mpg’s , but was hoping it still drove closer to normal, I have an appointment to get the speedo recalibrated to the correct tire size at the dealership, hoping that helps… any input or suggestions would be awesome🤙
As many have said recalibrate speedo for tire size change

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I love my wheel and tire upgrade. I went from the base alloys and street tires on the Wrangler Sport S to 17" fuel Anza rims and 35" x 12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have a 6sp manual and acceleration and fuel economy took a hit. But, I knew that going in to it when I increased tire diameter. I hold the gears longer/shift later to get the same type of acceleration I got on the stock set up. However, mileage will never be the same. Also, the speedo is off about 5mph. As for you guys with the auto trans, you do have the advantage of changing the wheel/tire diameter and calibrating the speedo with a tazer or other programmer to help the tranny shift later or pick different gears (like what us manual guys do). The two extra gears the auto has might help with highway driving to bring your mileage up, but for city driving, you're going to take a hit no matter how you slice it.

I want to re-gear but don't have the $$ for it...it's a big commitment of time, money, maintenance and mileage. But for my buddies who did re-gear, they take off like a bat out of hell compared to my stock gear set up with the bigger wheels/tires and lift. I'm sure the same will be true for the auto as well.

As you've read many times over, Jeeps are NOT meant to be fuel efficient vehicles. Those of us who upgrade suspension, wheels an tires, do so with the intent of taking our rigs off road and challenging what it can do (and us as drivers). There are sacrifices we make to get to where we want to be (both in configuration of our rig and where we want to take it). But what was it that someone once said, "if it ain't worth sacrificing, it ain't worth doing..."

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
On a JLUR, 35" is the perfect compromise in my opinion.
  • The Rubicon has a lower axle ratio, and stays agile on the highway with 35s.
  • On the trail, 35s and a quality lift give you amazing off-road capability, likely only limited by the abilities of the driver.
That said, if you own a Sport and only intend to go shopping, then those 37s or 40s are just fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Starting to regret bigger wheels and tires….any words of encouragement ?? 1636416491787

Jeep Wrangler JL Starting to regret bigger wheels and tires….any words of encouragement ?? 1636416661683

(tires in the photos are actually 34")
Sponsored