Starting a new audio build... '22 Sting Gray 392

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
I did a fairly intensive install and custom build out on my last Jeep - which started as the non-premium 7". Now, I have a '22 392 with the 8" and Alpine setup. I'll try and post a few pics along the way, but I'll be starting this one a bit different -

Head unit - Keeping the 8" and using the PAC interface

Amps - Audiocontrol D6.1200 DSP amp, and an Audiocontrol LC800.1 sub amp.

Front stage - Hybrid Audio 2" Legatia SE wideband highs. Clarus 6.5" mid
Soundbar - Hybrid Unity 6.5 component/coaxial configuration

Subwoofers - 2, Sundown Audio 10" SD4 thin subs in custom sealed, stealthbox style enclosures.

Have the non-Alpine sub panel and carpet kit on order. (Thanks Benny). While I am waiting for those - I had a question about the dimensions of non-Alpine. Does anyone know if those panels are symmetrical in dimension? Basically, if we start the driver side stealthbox, can we mirror the passenger the side dimensions and it will fit the same? Does anyone know?
Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I am pretty sure that they are the same. If you look at a pass or driver side Stealhbox, they seem to be mirror images.

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Starting a new audio build...   '22 Sting Gray 392 1671027660870

Jeep Wrangler JL Starting a new audio build...   '22 Sting Gray 392 1671027683824

The amps are in. Custom brackets for seat bolt mounting.

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speakers.

Hybrid Audio L3 SE's in the dash. 6.5's in the Metra pods. And, custom 6.5's in the soundbar. Hybrid Audio is amazing stuff. Highly recommended.

Custom, wrapped soundbar adapters.

Jeep Wrangler JL Starting a new audio build...   '22 Sting Gray 392 1671027820654

Jeep Wrangler JL Starting a new audio build...   '22 Sting Gray 392 1671027841513

Jeep Wrangler JL Starting a new audio build...   '22 Sting Gray 392 1671027866540

Sponsored

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's fantastic. Tons of headroom, but it's clear the limiting factor is now the 8" display and the OEM audio source. I probably need to do a bit more sound deadening, and a few rattles to chase - but it's pretty stunning.

Sundown SD4's are in about a .75cu foot enclosure, and it hits.

Scoobiedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I installed the Legatia X3-P speakers in my RAM and later moved them to my wife's Lexus, and they have to be some of the finest speakers that can go in a vehicle dash. Amazing when tuned properly. I've had a couple of the Sundown 8's in an older truck install I did a few years back and they were brutal in about .5CF box.

Very nice install here.

So are you using the overhead speaker much... rear-fill... and how are they affecting the front soundstage and imaging?

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are you using the overhead speaker much... rear-fill... and how are they affecting the front soundstage and imaging?
DSP tuned for a very neutral soundstage assuming I have rear passengers. Fronts still overpower the soundbar for sure. When kids aren't in the car, I can fade forward to push the stage forward.

I use XM Radio, HD Radio, and Spotify via Carplay. I did not tune for HQ audio. Mostly compressed music.

Scoobiedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gotcha... makes sense... given it's a Jeep. I use some FLAC files, but truth is, there are always some noises from the vehicle when driving, so I wouldn't ever notice much, if any difference between compressed or lossless. For the most part, MP3 is fine for me in a vehicle. I do prefer it on a USB thumb drive over XM... the quality is considerably better. I have not tried Spotify to see if it better than XM.

Sponsored

leakgator

First Name
Branson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150
I love this!
The Hybrid Audio Legatias are amazing!
I had the l2se in my dash and the l6se in my JK that I sold, that it jams.
I knew the Hybird Audio owner and his cousin. They live about an hour from me, however when I called to get a replacement for my trucks Unity 6x9, he said they sold the business.
Can you still buy those?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Gotta ask -- for someone who mostly listens to Spotify/SiriusXM, but finds the alpine premium lacking (especially at higher volumes with half doors going down the freeway but also general clarity of the sound) -- would this be a good route for me? Or is there a different recommendation? I was hoping to spend < $5k per vehicle improving the sound.

Acoustics in the gladiator feel better than the 392 from what I can tell thus far (more road noise).

Scoobiedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never been able to get SiriusXM to sound anything near quality... USB recorded MP3 music sounds a LOT better to me, on a good system, and even on the Alpine system. The problem with the Alpine system is it's not tuned like the custom systems you can install, or have installed and tuned.

As for driving down the road with all that wind noise, not sure the better quality will ever be heard to justify the expense.

OEM Audio Plus also makes a system that is plug-n-play, which is supposedly really good for under $3K... at least from all the reviews I've read.
Sponsored