Sponsored

Starter keeps firing after 3.0 starts (videos and updates)

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
My 2021 JLU Willys 3.0 has now eaten 3 starters in a month at 12K miles.

From time to time, I start the jeep and get a really nasty starter sound followed by the engine firing and then a continued, more regular, starter noise. The starter never kicks off. I shut down the engine and the starter continues to fire until I can get the battery disconnected. First time, dealer put in a new starter, 2 days after getting it back it happens again. Dealer puts in another new starter and some type of a control module. Works fine for about two weeks until today when the same thing happened. Any ideas to help my dealer figure this one out for good? I have NO electrical modifications to my jeep. Just a Mopar lift and Kenda Klever 35s.

Edit: to ask how worried about my fly wheel should I be?

Video in Google Drive

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Wiring, relay or fuses possibly?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You will need to look at what controls the starter motor such as the starter solenoid, starter relay, and the controler for the starter motor. Has anything been wet?

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
It's a wiring issue somewhere (Many possibilities). You'll need to troubleshoot everything linked to the starter itself. Could be something wasn't done right from the factory. Most dealer techs these days won't go the extra mile unless forced to. The whole setup and wiring should have been gone through after the second failure.

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Could be a shorted wire I agree.. But if I recall there was an issue awhile back with the push button start switch leaving some people unable to start there jeeps.

Sponsored

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Yeah, but OP is complaining about the starter sticking though and not about a no start like condition.

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
ratherbskiing

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
Thanks for the replies. To reply to a few of you.

Oh yeah...lack of starter is not my issue :) I've got WAY too much starter action going on!

My jeep doesn't see much water here in dry Utah, have not done any water crossings or mudding, and I don't hose down the engine bay. Mostly just rocky and sandy travel for me. As far as behavior changes, I HAVE been using the remote start a good bit this fall and winter. Not sure if that's just coincidence?

Should I be concerned about the nubs (or whatever they are) on my Flywheel now that I've chewed through so many starters just cranking away in such a fashion?

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Yeah, but OP is complaining about the starter sticking though and not about a no start like condition.
yea I know but a faulty switch could cause the situation as well. just a shot in the dark anyway, electrical problems are the worse.

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Totally agree when it comes to electrical, that's the one thing I'll never tackle

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Thanks for the replies. To reply to a few of you.

Oh yeah...lack of starter is not my issue :) I've got WAY too much starter action going on!

My jeep doesn't see much water here in dry Utah, have not done any water crossings or mudding, and I don't hose down the engine bay. Mostly just rocky and sandy travel for me. As far as behavior changes, I HAVE been using the remote start a good bit this fall and winter. Not sure if that's just coincidence?

Should I be concerned about the nubs (or whatever they are) on my Flywheel now that I've chewed through so many starters just cranking away in such a fashion?
my only other suggestion is to pull the 50 amp main fuse. firmly push down on all the fuses both in the main panel and the one small one on driver side. disconnect both batteries and let it set for half an hour. that would give you you a full reset. if you had a taser you could perform a full reboot.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Mostly just rocky and sandy travel for me. As far as behavior changes, I HAVE been using the remote start a good bit this fall and winter. Not sure if that's just coincidence?
Could it be a faulty remote start fob which is sending signal sporadically? Maybe try the other fob.
Or maybe the phone app? Or someone messing with you and remote starting it?

OP
OP
ratherbskiing

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
Interesting.... I do use both fobs interchangeably, but I cannot specifically recall which fobs I was using on those 3 days that this problem presented.

For your viewing pleasure, here is a video of the 2nd (first replacement) starter failing to deactivate a few weeks ago. I was much faster to get the battery disconnected during todays event.

OP
OP
ratherbskiing

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
Happened again in May and left me with a 4 figure tow bill. 4th time getting towed for the same issue of the starter refusing to turn off. FCA won't even call me back to discuss my lemon. I was at least 6 hours from a paved road at the time. It was worst-case and had to abandon my jeep after the starter fried. @JeepCares should be aware that this rescue is going to be featured on Matt's Off-road Recovery. I own 3 jeeps right now and hope to take that down to 0 very soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Happened again in May and left me with a 5 figure tow bill. 4th time getting towed for the same issue of the starter refusing to turn off. FCA won't even call me back to discuss my lemon. I was at least 6 hours from a paved road at the time. It was worst-case and had to abandon my jeep after the starter fried. @JeepCares should be aware that this rescue is going to be featured on Matt's Off-road Recovery. I own 3 jeeps right now and hope to take that down to 0 very soon.
Oh, I like Matt's Off-road Recovery. Sorry you are going to be featured.

Are you saying it was over $10K?

OP
OP
ratherbskiing

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
Fat Finger Alert! 4 figure, 4 figure, 4 figure, I'll update the post
Sponsored