Sponsored

Starter Bad-Brand New 2021 Sahara Altitude 2.0

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Picked my brand new Jeep that I had ordered on Thursday and By Sunday Morning the Jeep wouldn’t start. Only 135 miles. Dealer said it was the starter. Of course covered under Warranty. But seems very odd that a starter would be bad on brand new Jeep at 135 miles. Anyone out there have similar experience?

Also, to throw more salt in the wound because I couldn’t park in my assigned spot and couldn’t move the Jeep because it wouldn’t start black walnuts stained my car. Happened within an hour when I ran to the store. Didn’t think anything of parking in the spot as my neighbor had been parking his white Silverado truck there for at least three years and this hasn’t happened to him. Tried few products but made no difference as it’s in the clear coat. Dealer said it might not be covered if I didn’t opt for Perma Plate which I have no clue what that is.

Open to all advice or thoughts!

9947B187-6194-45E9-94BB-6E1FC9BD1A33.jpeg

2AA1AFB0-06B5-4382-8262-A6EDEC4DB5B9.jpeg

8C0101C3-E49C-44BC-80B1-D225C9234EF1.jpeg

0010923B-D8DE-4757-81E6-0382B72EE589.jpeg

67608DFC-2BF7-48D7-944A-C3A1B23AC7FC.jpeg
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar issue with tar staining the polyurethane fenders on my Dune colored 2014 Sahara.

I forget now what I did. I remember washing the Jeep several times, and waxing it afterwards, but the stains remained.

I don’t recall if I applied any other product. But I was advised to let them be and the stains would eventually disappear. Within two or three weeks there was hardly any evidence.

With regards to that dealer: I’d tell him to shove his Perma Plate up his *ss...!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
OP
OP
TaylorMade1212
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update…Dealer said today it was not the starter but the alternator. And it’s on back order with no ETA. Seems like they haven't bother to do anything about the black walnut stains other than tell me I don’t have the Perma Plate coverage. Which I never heard about it until now. Spent an extra $3k and some change on extended warranty but no Perma Plate included.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Update…Dealer said today it was not the starter but the alternator. And it’s on back order with no ETA. Seems like they haven't bother to do anything about the black walnut stains other than tell me I don’t have the Perma Plate coverage. Which I never heard about it until now. Spent an extra $3k and some change on extended warranty but no Perma Plate included.
How is your relationship with your salesperson? If I didn’t want to mess with it, I would ask your salesperson to have the detail/prep guy take care of it for you.

OP
OP
TaylorMade1212
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is your relationship with your salesperson? If I didn’t want to mess with it, I would ask your salesperson to have the detail/prep guy take care of it for you.
When I spoke to my sales guy yesterday I told him they had to make it right and he said I’m going to take care of you. Friend of mine worked this deal for me as he has bought eight cars from this dealer and referred at least ten other people who have bought cars. He was going up there this evening to talked to one of the managers. Other thing is my radio, dash and headlights were all working. Been long time since I’ve had any car issues but do those things work if the alternator is bad?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
When I spoke to my sales guy yesterday I told him they had to make it right and he said I’m going to take care of you. Friend of mine worked this deal for me as he has bought eight cars from this dealer and referred at least ten other people who have bought cars. He was going up there this evening to talked to one of the managers. Other thing is my radio, dash and headlights were all working. Been long time since I’ve had any car issues but do those things work if the alternator is bad?
They can, the alternator charges the battery. If it fails you can have enough left in the battery to run the basics, but not enough to power the starter enough to turn over the engine.

OP
OP
TaylorMade1212
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They can, the alternator charges the battery. If it fails you can have enough left in the battery to run the basics, but not enough to power the starter enough to turn over the engine.
So My dash was all lit up, radio worked, could take calls in my car and headlights worked. Been a long time since I’ve had major car issues but usually those things don’t work if it’s the alternator. But if you know different let me know.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I'd rather wash the thing with brillo pads before I'd let a dealer try to "detail" it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TaylorMade1212
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For some reason my gut says it’s a wiring issue…When it won’t start that is initially what I thought…This whole situation would suck no matter what…But this was my dream car ever since I was A kid…My dog didn’t even get a chance to ride in her😭

OP
OP
TaylorMade1212
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd rather wash the thing with brillo pads before I'd let a dealer try to "detail" it.
I think the good (meaning me) will prevail with the dealer in making these stains right…But if for some reason I’m already working on getting someone lined up…Already ugly cried in front of all the people waiting on their cars to be service the fact I had the Jeep for 3 days…Oh and I had gotten so upset over it all they knocked my heart out of rhythm as I have a heart condition…And I made that fact known to the dealer and their customers waiting on their cars…

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
So My dash was all lit up, radio worked, could take calls in my car and headlights worked. Been a long time since I’ve had major car issues but usually those things don’t work if it’s the alternator. But if you know different let me know.
There are two batteries. Everything you described indicates alternator.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I know it's hard but don't stress too much. Stuff happens, even on brand new vehicles, and it doesn't always factor into the life of the vehicle long-term.

When I was 16, I bought a Hyundai Accent brand new - 58 miles on the speedo. Within a week or so, same thing - alternator went out. Covered under warranty, easy fix, and I drove that car for a solid 8 years+ before giving it my little bro who drove it another 2. No other mechanical issues the rest of its life.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Literally nothing about this says bad alternator to me. If it’s a bad alternator, you can jump start it and leave the booster pack on and it will run. Or, you can charge the batteries and it will start right up and die later on down the road. Unless this alternator has seized completely, the dealership really seems incompetent.
Sponsored