Sponsored

Started drive yesterday with 30 mile e range?

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
A full charge starting at work would be an interesting test, but unfortunately I don't have access to a charger or power outlet at my work. The closest test would be to start with a full charge at home and use e-save the whole way to work. I am sort of curious to see how high the charge would be when I arrive at work. In theory it should stay at 100% but not sure if that would be the case. One way to find out I suppose.
Part 1 of the test is complete. I started at home with 100% charge, and turned on e-save (battery charge) and max regen before leaving. Even with e-save on, the first ~1.5 miles was using only battery (presumably because it was at low speed and low throttle) and the battery was down to 92%. After that, the main part of the drive was around 55-65 mph and used mostly ICE.

By the time that I got to work, the battery did manage to charge back to 95%. Watching the energy screen showed that it was heavily charging the battery during deceleration as expected, though it did also have a slow charge (1-3 kW) during flat roads with steady speed and throttle conditions. I had read somewhere that the ICE generator could not charge the battery above 79%, but that does not appear to be the case, unless I was actually seeing that slow charge caused by very light regen.

I know that high throttle position alone will cause ICE to turn on in any mode. With e-save on, my observation is that a light/medium throttle position and a battery load of somewhere around 30-40 kW seems to cause ICE to turn on. I have no idea if that's actually how the programming works, but that was my observation on the drive this morning.
Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
That's the normal behavior for e-save, it runs down to 93-94% then charges and holds at 95%. I suppose it may not be able to hold a charge above that so they just use it?

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Are you guys saying the gauge "shows" 26-30 miles on the Rubicon, or are you saying people are actually driving 26-30 miles?
Rubicon here, gauge showed 26 this morning. Got 27 before engine turned on. All backroads, speeds 30-45 mph. temp 60.

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
A full charge starting at work would be an interesting test, but unfortunately I don't have access to a charger or power outlet at my work. The closest test would be to start with a full charge at home and use e-save the whole way to work. I am sort of curious to see how high the charge would be when I arrive at work. In theory it should stay at 100% but not sure if that would be the case. One way to find out I suppose.
I started at work at 95% and ended at home with 48%, so net use of 47%. That is about 5% than my previous tests going from work to home.

I also thought to officially check elevation per GPS. It is 140 ft higher at home (much more than I expected) so my conclusion based on one data point is that the elevation change accounts for about 5% of the difference in battery use, and non linearity accounts for 10% of the difference.

bodhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Sounds like you all are doing way better than me. I and driving relaxed, no hard acceleration, city driving with some highway, and all three times I have gone out with a 100% battery, the most I get is 14 miles on the battery. Temps in the 50's and 60's.

We have a Rubicon, but I was not expecting to get 2/3 of the range they advertised.

When the gas engine eventually kicks in after the 14 miles, it feels like it is super loud and sluggish and the transmission just doesn't want to shift. I am really unsure if it will get better of if something is wrong. WIth no one else around having one to compare it with, I don't know what to do.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Sounds like you all are doing way better than me. I and driving relaxed, no hard acceleration, city driving with some highway, and all three times I have gone out with a 100% battery, the most I get is 14 miles on the battery. Temps in the 50's and 60's.

We have a Rubicon, but I was not expecting to get 2/3 of the range they advertised.

When the gas engine eventually kicks in after the 14 miles, it feels like it is super loud and sluggish and the transmission just doesn't want to shift. I am really unsure if it will get better of if something is wrong. WIth no one else around having one to compare it with, I don't know what to do.
Definitely not my experience, especially being loud and sluggish. Only time it was loud and sluggish I was plowing through deep loose sand on a trail. I sometimes don't even notice when the engine comes on.

I've seen Rubicon owners claiming similar numbers to mine. However, others are reporting way lower too. I know up in Boston, you have more elevation changes and all.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
Definitely not my experience, especially being loud and sluggish. Only time it was loud and sluggish I was plowing through deep loose sand on a trail. I sometimes don't even notice when the engine comes on.

I've seen Rubicon owners claiming similar numbers to mine. However, others are reporting way lower too. I know up in Boston, you have more elevation changes and all.
The best all electric range I’ve been able to achieve is 30.4 miles on flat south Jersey roads at 35-55 mph. Usually I’ll end up at about 27 miles. If someone is only getting 14 miles then something is wrong.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Showing me 31 miles on a full charge in the mornings. I don't commute anywhere so I haven't had a chance to put that to the test.

We did go out on some back trails in the forest this weekend, mostly hard packed, washed out dirt roads that hadn't been graded in ages, but also some powerline sugar sand side trails too which is what I was looking for in the first place. Spent less power from the battery in the 1.5 hours driving around in the woods than in the 20 minutes driving back.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Jeep has stated you can rock crawl for hours.

How did it handle in the sand? I went to Corbit (Western Palm Beach County) and got in over my head in sugar sand.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect

How did it handle in the sand? I went to Corbit (Western Palm Beach County) and got in over my head in sugar sand.
If it's high tide and I have to drive in soft sand I'll let the tires down to 15 psi. Absolutely no problems then.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer

The trail we were on crossed over the powerline trail which is gated and usually closed off. Both sides were open. I stopped. Looked left and right. Asked the wife if we should go left. She said no, because it was flooded and no way to tell how deep it was. Asked if we should go right, she said no, the sand looked too soft and deep. I grinned, reached down, put it into 4H PT, turned right and gave her some gas.

Had no problems. We just floated through the sand as smooth as could be.
Sponsored