Sponsored

Started drive yesterday with 30 mile e range?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Anyone else seeing sometimes higher electric only ranges? The most I've actually gotten so far have been 27 miles but it's been a bit since I fully depleted the EV reserve to see what I actually got.

Post pandemic, I've come to hate the crowds, bad drivers, and dump trucks spilling rocks all over the road. So I'm mostly sticking to the quiet back roads wherever I can. That probably helps on the range.
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
It appears it is adaptive to your driving style when showing range.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
27 definitely sounds doable in the Sahara 4xe. I think it'd be harder to get that range in the Rubicon 4xe.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
27 definitely sounds doable in the Sahara 4xe. I think it'd be harder to get that range in the Rubicon 4xe.
My Rubi showed 26 last time I drove it.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I think someone here said they got 30/31 in a Rubicon. It's getting crazy hot now, so that will likely impact range. I don't remember any May being this disgustingly hot.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Are you guys saying the gauge "shows" 26-30 miles on the Rubicon, or are you saying people are actually driving 26-30 miles?

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Last time I got in with a full charge it predicted 28 miles of range and that what I ended up with before the engine started.

It is my wife's daily driver. She said the estimated EV range on the display said 31 miles this morning at a full charge. For her use, that is probably pretty close. Her drive is on surface streets at 45 mph max.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
We made a few trips in the 18-20 mile range, all in town, so mostly 35-45MPH, handful of lights, and gotten home with ~40% battery (if I drive laid back) with more or less zero ICE operation.

Projecting that out, it would push 30-ish (not sure how linear the battery consumption is, etc..), and we have a Sahara (all stock).

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Today I had a longer drive. Started at 28 and got back home with 27.5 miles and 1% still left. Forgot max regen for a bit.

So far it's better than the original 25 miles. The EPA must have some stricter tests.

Sponsored

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
We made a few trips in the 18-20 mile range, all in town, so mostly 35-45MPH, handful of lights, and gotten home with ~40% battery (if I drive laid back) with more or less zero ICE operation.

Projecting that out, it would push 30-ish (not sure how linear the battery consumption is, etc..), and we have a Sahara (all stock).
I am curious what others are seeing in linearity of battery consumption. If it is linear, and the range is 25 miles (makes math simple), then 1% of the battery is a 1/4 mile. My results so far are not very linear. I'm not sure if it's the type of drive, my driving, the weather, non-linear behavior, or something else.

My work commute is 23 miles round trip. have made two round trips so far and I used 42% and 43% going to work. I have used 57% and 55% on the return trips. It's basically the same elevation between both locations.

Before I started each trip, the claimed range was 25 miles. I used only electric and got home with 1% and 2% on the 2 trips, so it looks like I would get between 23-24 miles on the battery. Most of that drive is a state highway at 55-60 mph. Mine is a stock 4xe with doors on, top on, windows up, climate control off, driving gently.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Are you guys saying the gauge "shows" 26-30 miles on the Rubicon, or are you saying people are actually driving 26-30 miles?
Both. It bases the estimate on the driving you're doing. If that driving is really efficient, it will adjust for that. I've found it to be dead on accurate.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
@rdmelton

Yeah, that's interesting/odd, maybe take a charger (unless you have them at work), get back to 100% if you can, and test the % left work-to-home, i.e., if it's ~42% each way, from a full charge vs. a 100% >> ~42% >> ~58 for a round trip single charge - that does sort of suggest slower burn rate in the upper 50%.

I mean, it's not super scientific, but it would be an interesting experiment.

I have noticed an easy 10-15% variant in what seems to be the same distance, so I'm guess it's some changeup in my driving style, stop-and-go, fiddling with the Max Regen, and possibly temp (like outside) related.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
I am curious what others are seeing in linearity of battery consumption. If it is linear, and the range is 25 miles (makes math simple), then 1% of the battery is a 1/4 mile. My results so far are not very linear. I'm not sure if it's the type of drive, my driving, the weather, non-linear behavior, or something else.

My work commute is 23 miles round trip. have made two round trips so far and I used 42% and 43% going to work. I have used 57% and 55% on the return trips. It's basically the same elevation between both locations.

Before I started each trip, the claimed range was 25 miles. I used only electric and got home with 1% and 2% on the 2 trips, so it looks like I would get between 23-24 miles on the battery. Most of that drive is a state highway at 55-60 mph. Mine is a stock 4xe with doors on, top on, windows up, climate control off, driving gently.
Acceleration is always going to use more battery than maintaining speed. Using the regeneration mode will also add to the range, even on the highway as it aggressively kicks in when you let off the gas to maintain distance or stop at a light.

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
@rdmelton

Yeah, that's interesting/odd, maybe take a charger (unless you have them at work), get back to 100% if you can, and test the % left work-to-home, i.e., if it's ~42% each way, from a full charge vs. a 100% >> ~42% >> ~58 for a round trip single charge - that does sort of suggest slower burn rate in the upper 50%.

I mean, it's not super scientific, but it would be an interesting experiment.

I have noticed an easy 10-15% variant in what seems to be the same distance, so I'm guess it's some changeup in my driving style, stop-and-go, fiddling with the Max Regen, and possibly temp (like outside) related.
A full charge starting at work would be an interesting test, but unfortunately I don't have access to a charger or power outlet at my work. The closest test would be to start with a full charge at home and use e-save the whole way to work. I am sort of curious to see how high the charge would be when I arrive at work. In theory it should stay at 100% but not sure if that would be the case. One way to find out I suppose.
Sponsored