Sponsored

Start your Jeep with dead key fob (but don't pop the start button out)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Talked to my sales guy and said how do I start this thing if the key fob is completely dead and useless. He said pop your key on the key fob and use it to open your door. Then take a small screw driver and gently pop the start/stop button out, behind it is a place to stick the key. NICE! Haven't tried it yet but it's good to know. That plus the secret hidden automatic transmission park release seem to be the two hidden things that will come in very handy.

I would highly recommend reading this thread...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eo-highly-recommended.5573/page-3#post-123321
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yea, don't do that. Just poke the button with the fob like flyairam said. It uses an RFID signal that requires no power on the key end.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
OP should edit the post to make sure nobody reads his initial post and then goes off and pops their start/stop button off, lol. Similar to how I wish I had never watched the install video for the all-weather cargo mat set, as that guy led me to believe I needed to yank my gap cover out to install. Worth repeating for others installing the cargo mats... do not remove your gap cover from the bracket it's in - not worth it!!

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info guys. I would rather know the right way than mislead someone. I need to figure out how to change the post title.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info guys. I would rather know the right way than mislead someone. I need to figure out how to change the post title.
You can just click "Edit" on your original post up above and then you can change the text of your post. It's still a valid post in that people with a dead fob will still find it useful that they just need to press the fob right up against the button to start it, but we don't want anybody taking the unnecessary advice of disassembling their ignition button :whew:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The first push button start systems that were used in Chrysler vehicles had the ability to be removed and the key be used as a traditional key. Not so with these new ones I guess.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The first push button start systems that were used in Chrysler vehicles had the ability to be removed and the key be used as a traditional key. Not so with these new ones I guess.
I assume that perhaps the advice is still valid and that you CAN take the button off and start it that way, but that typically you shouldn't need to and your first option should be trying to press the button with the fob to still pick up the RFID. All I know is that I'm not going to be the one to pop off my ignition button to test it out!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I assume that perhaps the advice is still valid and that you CAN take the button off and start it that way, but that typically you shouldn't need to and your first option should be trying to press the button with the fob to still pick up the RFID. All I know is that I'm not going to be the one to pop off my ignition button to test it out!
One of my friends showed me in his challenger, it just popped out with his fingers and he put his RFID key that looked just like the one for my Ram 1500 and started it right up. I think the ones in the wranglers are supposed to be weather resistant, so I don't think they'll come out easily.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I have a question , do all jeeps have the pushbutton start and what options do you have to have to get that. If I got a Rubicon would I get pushbutton start or do I have to get the proximity option

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question , do all jeeps have the pushbutton start and what options do you have to have to get that. If I got a Rubicon would I get pushbutton start or do I have to get the proximity option
It's standard on all Wranglers.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
mgroeger,

Thanks for thinking to send along this information. Unfortunately, your "sales guy" is uninformed.

According to the owner's manual, you merely need to push the nose-end of your key fob onto the start/stop button to start your Jeep, it senses the chip even without an active fob battery. Disassembly of the actual button is not necessary, if even effective, which I seriously doubt.

Sorry to be a peace-thief...

Glad I read your post!
Sponsored