Sponsored

start/stop not working?

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
my jlus is only a few days old. start/stop was working then my wife drove it and now it doesn’t work. she didn’t disable it from the latch thingy under the hood and nobody’s touched the disable button. there’s no notification on the dash. what am i missing? so many wish they could be in my situation, lol. do i not worry about it? do you know how’s id get it back? do i get rid of the vehicle? do i get rid of my wife? interested in your thoughts and thx!
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Does it say service Start/stop? Mine did that and it turned out to be a loose wire.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think it is page 6 of the dash screen shows the status of your ESS. You should check that while you are driving. There are certain situations where it won’t work such as if the vehicle is not warmed up yet.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
my jlus is only a few days old. start/stop was working then my wife drove it and now it doesn’t work. she didn’t disable it from the latch thingy under the hood and nobody’s touched the disable button. there’s no notification on the dash. what am i missing? so many wish they could be in my situation, lol. do i not worry about it? do you know how’s id get it back? do i get rid of the vehicle? do i get rid of my wife? interested in your thoughts and thx!
7B28D051-FBF8-4C9E-A6E0-CCE44D71B21F.gif

D2B7B547-E3AA-4C02-AC8F-87A425EED9CE.gif

FAA882E0-C912-4B3F-B611-6BEFAFADD508.gif

A48080FC-9C19-453D-BE75-3A7EA62AD22C.gif

Sponsored

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
I think it is page 6 of the dash screen shows the status of your ESS. You should check that while you are driving. There are certain situations where it won’t work such as if the vehicle is not warmed up yet.
good call...

“start/stop not ready battery protection mode”

i’m guessing this means the battery is low. not sure how to check that other than a trip to dealer? which battery? ugh - don’t have time for this. it only has 217 miles on it! lol

any suggestions?
appreciate your help

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
good call...

“start/stop not ready battery protection mode”

i’m guessing this means the battery is low. not sure how to check that other than a trip to dealer? which battery? ugh - don’t have time for this. it only has 217 miles on it! lol

any suggestions?
appreciate your help
Attach a trickle charger to your main battery and plug it in when the 3.6L JL, assuming you have that and not the 2.0 is at rest.

I heard you correctly...the ESS/Aux Battery shows as the problem...

The reason you attach your trickle charger to the main battery is because it is much easier to access than the ESS/Aux battery, and when the 3.6L JL is at rest, these two batteries are connected in parallel anyway--so hooking up a trickle charger to either battery when the rig is parked charges both batteries.

If this doesn't restore your ESS, bring the rig for service. You may have a faulty battery, or two, or some other issue with the electrical system.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
There's another point to this story. For everyone thinking that the ESS system not engaging a good thing---and that's their right, on the 3.6L JL, while you can live without the ESS system, you cannot, barring the dual battery upgrade kit, live without a working ESS battery.

The power for that battery to perform its essential functions is less than what is required for the 3.6L to put in you ESS mode at a stop light: something that won't happen if that ESS battery isn't in strong charge.

And that essential function is, the ESS battery, all on its own, signals the starter relay to crank the engine, just prior to putting this ESS battery and the main one in parallel, so they both can work at the power drawing task of the starter overcoming inertia and cranking the engine. No ESS power and/or with power, to crank, because no signaling the starter. This is why you can run a 3.6L on the ESS battery alone, but not the main battery alone.

There is a workaround to preventing this non-crank situation that was first invented by poster @Jebiruph. Let me know if you desire a reference to it. It involves a wire jumper that essentially keeps the two batteries in parallel all the time--but I'm of the opinion that it best not be installed and for that owner to run the ESS system.....reasons why being this scope of this answer right now.

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
I appreciate the info about the work around but I'm not really interested in messing with things beyond the intended design when it comes to these batteries. All I want is for it to work the way it's supposed to. I'm guessing it might need a trickle charge as per another's post. Wouldn't just driving it recharge the battery? How low could it have gotten over night (start/stop worked yesterday)? more importantly, why??

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
Attach a trickle charger to your main battery and plug it in when the 3.6L JL, assuming you have that and not the 2.0 is at rest.

I heard you correctly...the ESS/Aux Battery shows as the problem...

The reason you attach your trickle charger to the main battery is because it is much easier to access than the ESS/Aux battery, and when the 3.6L JL is at rest, these two batteries are connected in parallel anyway--so hooking up a trickle charger to either battery when the rig is parked charges both batteries.

If this doesn't restore your ESS, bring the rig for service. You may have a faulty battery, or two, or some other issue with the electrical system.
no, it didn't reference the aux battery. it said, "start/stop not ready battery protection mode". it might be in reference to the aux battery but it didn't say that it was.

Sponsored

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
Check your fuses. Mine were loose and i popped in about 10 of them.

Last edited:

Coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Try pressing the brake pedal a little harder when at a stop and see if it kicks in, worked for me.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Several here including me have had batteries go bad within a few months but as stated get yourself a trickle charger and let it go until it goes to float mode and see if the issue is resolved, lots don’t realize that an alternator is not designed to charge a battery on short trips it’s designed to maintain it so unless you go on a long trip your battery never really fully charges. I put my JL on a tender once a month
Sponsored