Sponsored

Start/Stop Canary For Battery Issue After 3 Years

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
2018 JLUR
I don’t use Start/Stop much but I do want it to work. It wasn’t working due to “Battery Charging” warnings. I had zero issues with the batteries, no bad battery symptoms. So I took it in and the dealer said both batteries are bad. The JLUR was exactly 3 years old with about 22,000 miles. I don’t run any accessories, it’s a 100% factory stock JLUR.

The dealer replaced both batteries under warranty and it fixed the issue. Funny side note is the JLUR was actually 2 days out of the factory warranty. My lifetime FCA OEM warranty doesn’t cover batteries. The dealer didn’t catch it so they ate the new batteries and service (Nice). This would have been a $600 charge.

Batteries should last more than 3 years. All my other vehicle batteries lasted 5+ years. I wonder if FCA batteries, whoever they use, are of an inferior brand?

Can anyone recommend a better battery brand for each battery? Next time I run into this I’ll probably look for better batteries.

So, if your Start/Stop system is acting up it could be a Canary for battery issues. Get it checked out.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The days of lead acid batteries lasting 5 years are done it seems. There’s a plethora of threads here about batteries and that’s the conclusion.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Be happy yours lasted that long. I had to replace both at 1 year and about 34k. Jeep ESS light kept coming on and both had started to bulge.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The days of lead acid batteries lasting 5 years are done it seems. There’s a plethora of threads here about batteries and that’s the conclusion.
Unfortunately this is true, I remember vehicle batteries lasting 5+ years even in Florida. Now after 3 you are on borrowed time. Get a "DieHard" or a Wal-Mart battery and they're made in the same factory. I hear interstate is good but I've never bought one. So easy to go to Sam Walton's Market and get one at 2am on a Saturday morning if need be.

Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Unfortunately this is true, I remember vehicle batteries lasting 5+ years even in Florida. Now after 3 you are on borrowed time. Get a "DieHard" or a Wal-Mart battery and they're made in the same factory. I hear interstate is good but I've never bought one. So easy to go to Sam Walton's Market and get one at 2am on a Saturday morning if need be.
Welcome to 20 years ago lmao

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Interesting - in my last Mercedes and BMW I never replaced the factory battery, traded the Benz in at 9 years, and BMW just hit 9 years old.

2017 Ram 1500 - Battery died at 3.5 years....I went with Interstate, however I traded it in on my Jeep, so not sure if the Interstate would have lasted longer...

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
My mb battery lasted 8 years.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Welcome to 20 years ago lmao
Bummer that these vehicles have gotten so complex. I have an '02 civic that I still push start if the battery dies. I drove that thing for two weeks without a starter. Bump starting a vehicle has gotten me out of a lot of bad situations. I've also noticed that batteries these days just die, no weak starts as a warning..... Just dead. :-(

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I went through two cheap batteries in like 4 years with my previous vehicle. I took it to a shop and told them I want the best battery available within reason. They gave me an Interstate battery and that thing was still going strong the day I left it at the dealer to trade for the Jeep.

When the factory battery eventually dies on my Jeep I know exactly what brand I’ll be buying.

Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Virgin lead (odyssey,northstar) last longer . FCA (east penn) are having terrible issues
Jeep Wrangler JL Start/Stop Canary For Battery Issue After 3 Years 12F53DE8-5C88-4039-8C87-A0DD45B44415

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ve had zero issues with Deka batteries. It’s sad that the life is so short these days given that battery tech has supposedly improved so much. They are more concerned about how “green” batteries are vs how reliable they are. How “green is having to produce a significanly higher number of slighly less toxic batteries vs much less more toxic ones?

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
In the past I had routinely gotten 5-6 years out of my auto batteries, not any more. 3 seems to be where you need to start worrying these days.

I believe it is due to modern battery construction and the much higher parasitic drain placed on the batteries by modern vehicles.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I currently run dual Full River 750’s the lead plating is supposed to be closer by design to eliminate fluid loss but these wasn’t work for those running a stock setup and I believe @LuvYella hit the nail on the head with parasitic draw, these newer vehicles never completely power down.