OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I've gone through the same calculations. We pay 50+K for all this torque and then reduce the torque down with larger tires. Which also makes the overdrive gears too tall especially in the mountains. To maintain the factory torque feel with 37s, we will need to regear to slightly higher than 4.11. (i'm not sure what I did with the calculations and I don't want to go through them again. Which brings you back to 4.11. So I keep going back n forth between the safer 35s and the 37s that I really want.
Life is too short to run anything less than 37s on a rig that was specifically designed to articulate 37s with a 2-3” lift. Hell I plan to daily mine on 37s...the drivetrain will be just fine managing those forces. I’m not going to regear unless it can’t wheel worth a damn on 3.73 because I’ve got a few overland trips planned where the range will be vitally important.
Sponsored

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S 3.0 EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Pure speculation on my part; just going on my experience with Diesel trucks and girlfriends JLUS(3.45) with 3.6ltr running 35's.
I believe the 3.0 D will have absolutely no issues turning 37's with its 3.73's... I believe it will like higher gearing(3.73) better than say running 4.88's(lower gears) on 37's.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
I'm planning on only upgrading to 35s since they have been fine before and I don't want to re-gear but I'm also not getting a Rubicon this time around. My days of rock crawling are over, but that doesn't mean I don't want a capable as hell over landing vehicle.

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning on only upgrading to 35s since they have been fine before and I don't want to re-gear but I'm also not getting a Rubicon this time around. My days of rock crawling are over, but that doesn't mean I don't want a capable as hell over landing vehicle.
You will be shocked where a Non Rubicon will go and as the Diesel automatically comes with the Anti-Spin Diff., We were able to do anything we tried out in Moab(poison spider, golden spike, gold bar rim, hells revenge, top of the world, etc.) with our JLUS with the anti spin and 35 Patagonia's

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
You will be shocked where a Non Rubicon will go and as the Diesel automatically comes with the Anti-Spin Diff., We were able to do anything we tried out in Moab(poison spider, golden spike, gold bar rim, hells revenge, top of the world, etc.) with our JLUS with the anti spin and 35 Patagonia's
I mean, I had a TJR already and I could easily count the number of time I needed lockers on one hand and two for the number of times I used them in the almost 6 years I owned it.

That said my build plan is to get a Willys edition since it comes with the rubicon shocks and brakes, and the diesel comes with front and rear 44's along with the LSRD. After that it's just a matter of bumpers, winch, internal light bar, lift, 35s, and front locker. It's pretty much going to be a stealth Rubicon once I'm done with it.

Now if only sarge green would become a build option so I can order it.

Sponsored

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Based on RPM on the torque curve and knowing the trans is the same ratios, 4.10 would be good for 39s
Are you sure about this statement? I don't think the gear ratios are the same in the diesel 8 speed as they are in the 3.6/2.0 8-speed.

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:)
I mean, I had a TJR already and I could easily count the number of time I needed lockers on one hand and two for the number of times I used them in the almost 6 years I owned it.

That said my build plan is to get a Willys edition since it comes with the rubicon shocks and brakes, and the diesel comes with front and rear 44's along with the LSRD. After that it's just a matter of bumpers, winch, internal light bar, lift, 35s, and front locker. It's pretty much going to be a stealth Rubicon once I'm done with it.

Great plan! Sounds like an awesome ride:)... I am having a hard time deciding between the Diesel Rubi or Sport S myself... had I not driven Moab with a Sport S already... I would be going Rubi all the way. Of coarse that is another discussion for another page! Lets get back to Diesel's:like::clap:

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Everyone's use case is different. I wheel somewhere requiring lockers about once a week. And I only use the lockers when I need them. So they might only be on for 200 yards of a 40 mile adventure, but I definitely use them. Of course - I also try to find wheeling/rock-crawling on purpose that will make me use all of the capabilities of my JKUR.

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
We pay 50+K for all this torque and then reduce the torque down with larger tires. Which also makes the overdrive gears too tall especially in the mountains.
No - we pay for all this torque so when we upsize our tires to 37s we haven't screwed our performance like I have with my 3.6 powered JKUR on 35s. Because I've never re-geared my JKUR. But if I were to re-gear, based on torque curves I'd go to 4.10s (like the other Rubicons) to match with my 37s. :)

Sponsored

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I already ordered method beadlocks and 40s. I will eventually go to 4.56 most likely. I had my JK on 37s with 4.88. 2 friends have JLs (one a 2.0 and the other a 3.6) and have not regeared. They both said the 8 speed is a wonder and they have good power around town, but they won’t get into 8th gear without manually doing it.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel

I seriously considered the Willys before settling on the Rubi. The deciding factor was I couldn’t find a locker for the front axle. There may be M200 lockers but I couldn’t find it. Otherwise there wasn’t much incentive over the Willys.

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
**UPDATE GOT CELESTE BACK**
They drilled a bigger hole in the vacuum that goes from the engine to the EGR. I'm driving it until Monday to see if the code pops back up but hopefully this is the fix!
:rock::clap::like:I bet they fixed it... I have trust in Jeep!!

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
**UPDATE GOT CELESTE BACK**
They drilled a bigger hole in the vacuum that goes from the engine to the EGR. I'm driving it until Monday to see if the code pops back up but hopefully this is the fix!
That's great news! (preparing drill bits).

Of course that depends on when they ever decide to build my jeep. February is looking bleak! Maybe March? No longer hopeful that Jeep cares. Cases opened, never a return call! Clearly they just don't care! Some day I will get mine! 3 months going on 4 since I placed my order!
Sponsored