OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is a random post in the thread, not related to anything currently being talked about. But I took pictures of things which I thought were cool.

I am currently still on short arms, and while I can get some impressive flex for stock length arms, the coil springs would not unseat even at full droop.

Amazing, but creates headaches if you want to remove the coil. No one would normally remove and install the coils as much as I have in the last couple months, but I did buy this coil compressor and I have to say, its amazing.
SOOO much better and safer than the ones you can buy or rent from the local auto parts stores.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230709_144456

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230709_144045

Not currently on Amazon, but it was $250ish?
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6494-Clamshell-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0002SRHU6

I know, not needed, but I love a good random tool.

One other random thing, winch bumper. I had mentioned I modified a JCR winch plate to use with my bumper, but never really took good pictures. Well, as you saw above I had to take the winch off to do the PSC install, so I did take some pictures.

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230710_205756

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230710_205746

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230710_205818

This captures a hole in the frame that I sleeved. So while not a simple bolt on, its using stock locations. Kinda. If you look at older pics of my bumper build this might make more sense. Or not.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Next up, my third spare tire carrier......

This is the Teraflex version, I have always wanted this one, but was scared due to tire size and bumper clearance. Its.... tight.

This is one of our dogs, Izzie. She was not happy I put her on the massive box.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230808_173531

Everything ready for install:
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230810_164052

With a Motobilt rear bumper, and 37s, its a tight fit, but the tire does not hit the bumper. This is on the highest setting for this setup. I do think they sell a higher version, but this works for me.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230818_170829

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230818_170806

(yes, the wheel "bolt" pattern is not strait on, and it does mess with your eyes. Or whatever you want to call the eight fake bolts around the center of the wheel)

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230818_170841

(and yes, that is not touching!)
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230818_170859

Not a crazy install, but the stock ish version I was running before looked terrible. Pushed the spare way to far off the body and the 3rd brake light looked silly. Simple install, simple updated look that I really like.

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Some minor delays in getting updates posted, but we are getting there.

I have never actually had onboard air, and always mooched off other people. A future iteration of this build will have some air lockers, and having air would have helped quite a bit in the last couple months so I decided to buy the Grimm ARM mount that uses a stock 4XE cowl plug.

This is their cowl kit. Im glad the backing plate (bottom left in this picture is powder coated black, when I purchased this kit it was raw steel. Minor detail, but it made me happy to see.
https://www.grimmoffroad.com/Jeep-W...arge-Port-Air-Chuck-Conversion-Kit_p_138.html
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230824_172416

Do note that this does not come with the quick disconnect, which is ARB’s 0740112 air hose coupling.
And another note, Grimm instructions are amazing, super easy to follow even when viewed on your phone.

Installed
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230824_181356

And fully installed. Although, I actually did things sort of backwards and got this all installed, and THEN did the under hood bit.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230826_133739

And here is the second part of this whole contraption, again, from Grimm. This is the version that you can mount an sPod onto which I may be doing in the future.
https://www.grimmoffroad.com/Jeep-W...ompressor-sPOD-Mounting-Bracket-Kit_p_79.html
Note the ARB pump does not come with the kit
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230828_182802

And much like the cowl portion, everything went together pretty smooth. Instructions were amazing, although for something like this its not super critical. Small hands would have been helpful at times getting lines run as it gets pretty tight in there after things start to go into place, but doable with my large ish hands.

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230828_205301

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230828_205314

I may end up trimming the far right of the underhood bracket off, as I will not be using that air chuck location, and as this is a high speed, low weight vehicle, every ounce counts.

Grimm does explicitly call out that there are only certain inner fender liners that work with this kit. I have Artec inner fenders on the front, and while not on the list I was hopeful they would work. They didnt.

I am not going to embarrass myself by posting the hackjob I did on them to fit. Its not terrible, and a little black duct tape and youll barely notice. I may end up changing my inner fenders eventually so this isnt all that big a deal right now.

Final thoughts on this install.
Quick and pretty easy.
For now I did not color match the cowl and I dont dislike it for the time being. I may end up getting it painted at a later date.
I am not going to add up all the parts to figure out total cost, but it was not cheap. Worth it vs the Milwaukee or Smittybilt air compressors I already have..... probably not. But damn its cool.
I also need to figure out a way how to get a car charging cord to attach so I can park in those nicely located EV parking spots at the front of the mall.

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Another random post.

I have had the roof off my Jeep for several months, and just now put it back on. We had a fairly mild summer, not too hot and very little rain. Its been amazing and I have thoroughly enjoyed having the roof off and its been pretty useful as well.

This summer we redid some of our backyard, so some tools were rented and acquired. Amazing how easy it is to get large bulky items in without a roof on.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230611_141456

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230828_170821

This was one of the first weekends after the roof came off. Tried to take the dogs for coffee, our old man was happy as a clam to stay put and chill (you can just make out his head on the drivers side looking out). Our younger dog did not understand, but did find the fenders nice to step on.
Im thinking next summer some sort of cargo net might be needed just to prevent a dog escape.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230513_075758

Picked my wife up at work one day, and had to park next to the fake Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230724_175134

And, the full body shot. These are older photos as steering, tire carrier and OBA cowl bits have all changed since then, but you get the jest of whats going on.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230724_175720

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230724_175729

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230724_175814

As I mentioned, we just put the top back on as we have had some rain, and I am really appreciating the Anchorman quote, "Im living in a glass case of emotion." Being inside with a roof and everything sucks!

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We are back into the meat and potatos, and not posing at the mall.

Beaches love getting the shaft, so I got Yukon alloy shafts for the rear axle. I actually got one side almost a year ago from a Quadratec sale, and got the other from Amazon of all places.

Much like Legos, some assembly required. Amazon one came with the big bag of parts, Quadratech came in the bags. Its the same, but different. Interesting I guess?
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230819_134836

You do have to press everything together, which for some reason I didnt realize. I thought they came assembled, clearly not.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230819_135037

So incase you didnt already know (at least on the Rubicon), the rear axle shafts are non C clip and simply held in by the retaining plate (and brakes I guess).
Remove the caliper, remove the rotor. Remove the 4 retainer nuts and the axle shaft will slide out. Well, it needs a little bit of help. If you dont have a slide hammer, flip the rotor over, install the lug nuts, and you have a slide hammer. Couple small whacks, out the axle comes.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230819_141327

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230819_141332

Assembled minus lug studs.
Interesting note, my Harbor Freight 20 ton press did not have enough "length" to it, and I actually had to cut the bottom crossmember off to get the passenger side axle fully pressed together. I guess that side is fairly long. I will weld it all back together.... eventually (aka never, lets be honest).
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230930_145216

I always hate installing lug studs, and while they do make special tools to get these done, I used the washer stack, lug nut and an impact gun to get them all in.

Slap that sucker back in, and boom. Im now fully (alloy) shafted. RCVs in the front and Yukon in the rear. I wanted the RCVs for the back, but the price was just not something I could justify. If I break these shafts, it might be one ton time.

Do note that these shafts were dual drilled to 5x5 and 5x5.5 so make sure you put the studs in the correct hole. There is a joke in there, but I wouldnt dream of saying something so rash.

And sad panda noises, only one of my axles came with a sticker, and the adhesive didnt make it stick to the shaft. How will the people on Instagram know I have these new shafts if I dont have the sticker?
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230820_160859

Sponsored

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Next couple updates are random, but important, working on finishing some much needed projects.

First up is the Motobilt belly pan/ X members/suspension.

As you have seen in previous posts I got the Motobilt front tcase crossmember in only to realize the motor skid would not fit without CONSIDERABLE exhaust rework. At that time my motivation was low, so that project basically stalled out.

Fast forward to now, I wired my garage for 220 and took/borrowed my old Miller 180 mig welder back from my dad. I now have a TIg and Mig AND 220 so I can weld some thicker metals.

First item to check off was the rear crossmember. This will eventually become the lower control arm mounts for the long arms I want to do in addition to being the skid plate mount.
The instructions say to weld the xmember in, and then weld the mounts, I chose to do it opposite so Im not welding mounts on under the Jeep which is also a PITA.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread Screenshot 2023-09-30 223807

For some reason I didnt take any pictures, but here it is installed.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230917_181339

As mentioned, the exhaust needs to be fully modified, basically from the header/cat back. So the entire exhaust. But for now I do not want to do that for money, time and also uncertainty on suspension placement for next steps. So I am reusing most of the stock stuff.

This is the stock "mid pipe"? that runs down the drivers side frame rail. It also has a muffler/resonator in it. But, of course it hits the new rear x member. But, if you cut the stock rear hanger off, flip it 180*, and rotate the pipe around, it all fits!

Hanger is top left in this pic. Stock it goes the opposite way into that hanger bushing.
And the muffler thing you see in the back is ~120* rotated up from the stock location.
Basically cut, rotate and weld.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230917_181355

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230917_181552

Next up we have rock sliders. As you might recall, I tried to build my own last year. That failed epically. So I bought a set from Hepta Mfg which I was basically basing my design off of. They were on backorder, and finally showed up.

Unfortunately I had them shipped to my parents house (who had my welder) so I could install them there. So I had to go grab them and come home. Who doesnt love a 6 hour round trip to collect parts. For fun, a picture of our dog using them as a comfortable head rest?
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread Screenshot_20230924_171333_Snapchat

You know its going to be good when you see the Made in the USA and Heavy stickers! Shipping weight is 100lbs total, seems about right.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230925_172055

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230925_172111

After buffing, cleaning and painting, I got the drivers side installed.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230930_140533

And, if you cherry pick my welds and ignore the terrible ones, I think the welds turned out rather well. Could be much better, but I have not Mig welded in ~10 years. They are getting better and better, but I will not be quitting my day job.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230928_202707

I hope to get the passenger side installed tomorrow, so the Jeep is a little wonky right now.

Next up, yet another update to the front suspension.
I decided to remove the Steer Smarts front trackbar, and replace it with a Rockjock unit.

This was due to clearance with the diff cover as well as my concern the hydro lines would be pinched with the adjuster thing the Steer Smarts bar uses.

Certainly a different design.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230928_171534

Thats a very odd shape.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230928_170040

The Steer Smarts version is clearly much bigger, but its bulky and clearance is flippin' tight so it had to go.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230928_171546

Should you (or I in the future) want to know, the Rockjock joint has 3" of threaded shank.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230928_171814

And while this is a photo with the old panhard bar in, you can see theres just a lot going on, in a very small space.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230928_170343

So that concludes our updates for now. Its currently Saturday night, and I hope to get a lot more done tomorrow.

List is:
Belly pan installed
Pass side rock slider welded on
Check front and rear diff fluid levels
Install rock lights
Rewire cowl lights and fog lights

Tow rig:
Oil change
Front and rear diff fluid plus front diff cover
Fog lights
Profit?

Now, here you are wondering, but Johnny, you said tow rig, what does that have to do with anything?

Well, I am going to Moab in ~2 weeks.

And, thankfully I have a truck that can tow my Jeep hence the work on it. We use the truck to haul my wifes horses around, but I felt it needed a little love before the trip.

So, the (yet again) mad rush to get everything finished before a wheeling trip. Fun.....

So much fluid. Much wow.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20230929_155123

Until tomorrows updates, this is where we sign off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This past weekend the weather was fantastic (for the PNW fall) so I chose to do work that I couldnt do in my garage.

Which is maintenance on the tow rig.

Its a 2002 F350 4x4, long bed, quad cab dually. Its.... large. As I mentioned, we mainly use the truck to tow my wifes horses around, but we actually bought it many years ago to tow my Cherokee around.

While not needed, I decided to do front and rear diff fluid. Front I have never touched in the 10ish years we have had the truck. Rear needed a check as I pulled the rear shafts for brakes this summer, so I chose to replace them both.

Did a Ruffstuff diff cover and Lube Locker as I like the added protection just in case. Also, screw scrapping RTV off axles, hence the gasket.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231004_164659

Dana 60, stock fluid is 3 quarts of 80W-90. With the new cover, took closer to 4.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231007_122738

Rear was a drop the cover, and do fluid. It took ~4.5 quarts of 75W-140 with friction modifier.

Truck wasnt quite due for an oil change, but as the trip to Moab is ~1k miles one way, I did an oil change too.

Final task was to add Baja Designs SAE fog lights. The headlights on this truck SUCK, so anything I can do will help.

Pretty simple install, I did have to grind a bit on the cooling fins of the lights but nothing major.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231007_124045

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231007_143903

And those lights on the light bar are what I refer to as Faja lights. They are el cheapo Amazon fake Bajas, AKA, Faja. I originally bought them for my lawn mower, but threw them on the truck for now (and they arnt even wired up yet).

Minus topping off fuel, and hooking the trailer up, tow rig is sorted.

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I know, you came for Jeep updates, and you get a Ford.

Back into the garage on Sunday, again, the weather was abosuletly perfect, with the doors open and I knocked off a couple tasks I needed to do before getting the belly pan on.

1. The Motobilt kit comes with all hardware, but the 4.5" bolts they provide for the passenger side front crossmember were too short. They did not fit through the lock nuts fully. I have a feeling this was a holdover from their JK kits, and didnt update it.

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_112216

Bonus view complete with racecar AN line compared to the crappy stock lines.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_114801

2. As mentioned earlier, I am still using some stock exhaust, with the "mid pipe" rotated or clocked around to clear everything.
This put the resonator/muffler/spark arrestor/thing a little close to the floor. While it has not caused issues, and I dont really know how hot it gets compared to the rest of the exhaust a little added heat shield seemed like a good thing to add just in case.

Cool It heat shield. This is their 12" long by 6" wide version with 4" clamps. I did have to run to Home Depot for new clamps as the resonator is much bigger than the clamps could do.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_113232

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_150125

(I know it looks tight, but nothing hits or rattles around)

3. The Motobilt kit has some frame kickers that go from the rear xmember to the frame. These are important for the suspension, but as I am not using their mounts right now I only added the pass side. Drivers side would hit the exhaust.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_114834

4. I also broke down and ordered another phone mount. The one Ive been using mounts to the heater vent. Its worked just fine, but every time my wife drives she whacks it with her hands. The low mounting height is actually really nice but I wanted that vent back.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_105251

This is the 67 Designs mount which is expensive, but hopefully worth it.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_104813

I did choose to go with a Mag Mount which should be pretty trick to just plop the phone on vs a clamp style.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_105016

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_110419

My S22 does not quite have enough grip to hold, so I have a case coming which should help that.

Final delivery was an ARB air chuck. Its nice, way too nice. But bling, so it will get me home. The packaging was something you would expect from an Apple product, I guess them trying to justify the cost to the consumer?
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_104308

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Final item to install was rock lights. These are 100% not needed for this trip, and this time would have been better spent doing other things but I really wanted to get them in before the belly pan goes on. The pan is huge, heavy, and a PITA to get all the bolts aligned to get it on.

I chose the KC Cyclones for the color, output and also their magnetic mounts. There are some other much more expensive kits, as well as some cheaper options, but with the wiring I think this was a pretty good deal.
(Pro tip, if you use the @Jeep Generation discount code, you, well, get a discount)

I did add an extra set of lights for a grand total of 8. Front and back of each axle.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_152400

The kit comes with six wires. 2 x 2.5m. 2 x 3.5m And 2 x 5m. The additional lights had an option for wire length, and I chose 3.5m. I should have gotten the 5m for my case.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_152919

Magnets installed.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_155321

And I feel like a dork, but the wiring was actually really nice stuff.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231008_155601

Each light has its own wire.

I ran the wiring to the drivers side and mounted the fuse panel on the sPod mount Im not currently using. These are switched using the factory switch panel. This made the wiring a little easier.

Each light having its own wire adds a whole bunch of extra wiring but I chose to use it for now. Eventually (prob never) I would like to rewire these off a single wiring harness but thats a project for another day.

The two rear lights are placed in front of the bumper and needed the 5m wires.
The pass side rear tire(front of tire) needed a 5m.
The drivers side rear tire(front of tire) needed a 3.5m
The pass side front tire(rear of tire) needed a 3.5m.
The drivers side front tire (rear of tire) needed a 2.5m (could have prob gone with a 1.75 or 2m)
Two fronts mounted under the front bumper both used 2.5.

The install instructions said it was a 1-2 hour install. I took almost 6 hours, but that was being VERY careful with the routing, using lots of zip ties and really trying to do a good job. It actually took me Sunday night, Monday night and a small portion of tonight (Tues) to get everything done.

As mentioned, total waste for this trip, took way too long, but its done and looks.... cool?
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231010_190519

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231010_190607

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231010_190626

Final task for tonight was to get the belly pan in.

I usually HATE stickers, and usually my vehicles are debadged to some extent. The Rubicon stuff has grown on me, and I may keep it long term. But I am not one to put stickers all over the place.

With this big skid, I decided to add some stickers. I wont see them on a daily basis, and maybe it will look cool in a couple years?
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231010_173445

Belly pan is back on, and mostly bolted in. I am going to try and reuse the Evo Protek engine skid I pulled off for this trip as I dont want to belly out on my tranny! That will be tomorrows task and then its just packing. I hope!

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
This past weekend the weather was fantastic (for the PNW fall) so I chose to do work that I couldnt do in my garage.

Which is maintenance on the tow rig.

Its a 2002 F350 4x4, long bed, quad cab dually. Its.... large. As I mentioned, we mainly use the truck to tow my wifes horses around, but we actually bought it many years ago to tow my Cherokee around.

While not needed, I decided to do front and rear diff fluid. Front I have never touched in the 10ish years we have had the truck. Rear needed a check as I pulled the rear shafts for brakes this summer, so I chose to replace them both.

Did a Ruffstuff diff cover and Lube Locker as I like the added protection just in case. Also, screw scrapping RTV off axles, hence the gasket.

Dana 60, stock fluid is 3 quarts of 80W-90. With the new cover, took closer to 4.

Rear was a drop the cover, and do fluid. It took ~4.5 quarts of 75W-140 with friction modifier.

Truck wasnt quite due for an oil change, but as the trip to Moab is ~1k miles one way, I did an oil change too.

Final task was to add Baja Designs SAE fog lights. The headlights on this truck SUCK, so anything I can do will help.

Pretty simple install, I did have to grind a bit on the cooling fins of the lights but nothing major.

And those lights on the light bar are what I refer to as Faja lights. They are el cheapo Amazon fake Bajas, AKA, Faja. I originally bought them for my lawn mower, but threw them on the truck for now (and they arnt even wired up yet).

Minus topping off fuel, and hooking the trailer up, tow rig is sorted.
Hey @Starboard M
The SAE looks great in the location you put them in. How are you enjoying our SAE? If you are ever looking to add some more AUX light on the rigs feel free to reach out and we can help you create a lighting page that suits you!

Best,
Bill

Bill Sonevongxay | Forum Sales & Support 
Email: [email protected] Phone: (760)560-2252

1697039582157.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey @Starboard M
The SAE looks great in the location you put them in. How are you enjoying our SAE? If you are ever looking to add some more AUX light on the rigs feel free to reach out and we can help you create a lighting page that suits you!

Best,
Bill

Bill Sonevongxay | Forum Sales & Support 
Email: [email protected] Phone: (760)560-2252

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 1697039582157
I hate the SAEs.

Because they are brighter than my regular headlights. 😩

But in reality, they are amazing. I got the amber color and they do a very good job complimenting my terrible headlights. However, while they are street legal, I have not been using them with oncoming traffic just because I dont want to be one of those Tacoma guys who run their fogs all the time (insert the Baja Designs Taco meme here).

And for the Jeep, if I still had a bumper that had fogs, I would 100% put in a set of these SAEs.

For the tow pig, I may need to install one of your new OnX6 10" hybrid (freakin) Laser light bars in between the fogs.

And, now that you announced the headlights at SEMA..... maybe the Jeep will get some new headlights? And sharks. With lasers? Nah, thats a crazy idea.

For a Jeep update, we did a week in Moab. Ran a good amount of trails, and had an absolute blast.
No breakages besides a tire sidewall.

It was a long ass week, but worth it. A week(ish) later and Im unpacking the truck and getting everything unpacked. I will post pictures later this week, but for now, you get nothing!
Except for this pic
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 395655086_1017286232864416_4164372388040536485_n

fasteddie760

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Nice build!

I am also having issues with the JL Rock Jock High steer. They raise the drag link 2.5" and the tie rod 2.75". Well that .25" is giving me all sorts of issues. The tie rod hits the drag link adjustment sleeve and it hits the drag link end link on the pitman arm. And that was at 2.5" bump stop.

I ended up taking the high steer knuckles off until I can get all this crap worked out. I'm not willing to add more bump stop. Unless your willing add A LOT of bump stop, don't get it. A waste of money imo.

Ed

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Nice build!

I am also having issues with the JL Rock Jock High steer. They raise the drag link 2.5" and the tie rod 2.75". Well that .25" is giving me all sorts of issues. The tie rod hits the drag link adjustment sleeve and it hits the drag link end link on the pitman arm. And that was at 2.5" bump stop.

I ended up taking the high steer knuckles off until I can get all this crap worked out. I'm not willing to add more bump stop. Unless your willing add A LOT of bump stop, don't get it. A waste of money imo.

Ed
Ed, are you using the Currie steering? Odd that you are having that much interference as mine (now) clears just fine.

I will say, trying with a combination of stock steering, RPM steering and Currie steering, the final solution was the steering that the entire kit was designed around. Novel thought, I know.

The 1/4" difference should not matter I dont think, so Im really curious whats going on. Im bumped right when my tires hit the gutted fenders, so I would say Im not being limited by steering constraints.

The high steer is certainly not for the faint of heart, but IMO very worth it.

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, I guess I never updated this thread. I have not done anything to the Jeep at all in the last 6 months, but its been wet and cold, and Im in a pause for the build.

But since Im a picture whore, I will post pictures of my Moab trip as it was just so much fun.

I got the Jeep buttoned up the evening before leaving. Per usual, Im always running late on builds and it was a mad scramble to get the Jeep done and everything packed up. We borrowed my parents neighbors trailer and hauled the Jeep to Moab. Nice knowing you can make it back home IF you break.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231013_181709

I usually see a big horse trailer in this truck, so it was cool to see my Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231014_182241

We made it half way and stayed in a hotel for the night. Yes, I did take up four parking spots, but there was tons of extra parking, and I wanted to make sure I could get out the next morning.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231014_213410

The weather looked to be pretty good for our entire time in Moab, so I did end up taking the top off. 10/10, highly recommend.

First day we did Poison Spider, this was litterally the first time my Jeep has been offroad besides dirt trails. Yes, Im a poseur.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231016_100412

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231016_164405

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231016_132858

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread IMG_6715

I tried one of the optional lines and found the infamous smoke machine. Need to add a catch can one of these days.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread IMG_6729

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread IMG_6735

And finally, das Crack. Honestly felt super stable. Droop is limited by my control arms hitting the axle side mounts, and bump stops are in the perfect stop to hit just as the tires make contact on the fenders.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread IMG_6799

Day one was honestly very nerve racking, took me a couple hours to relax and have fun. In theory the Jeep was fully capable, but you just never know. And doing a shake down run in Moab honestly wasnt smart, but whatever!

That night I took about 30 minutes and checked everything over, nuts, bolts, wiring. All in, great first day of Moab.

OP
OP
Starboard M

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Day two was the first NAXJA sanctioned event, and we chose to do Cliffhanger. Couple scary ledges if you are afraid of heights. It is an "in and out trail," so the ledge does swap sides.
Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231017_122324

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread IMG_6872

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231017_143539

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231017_152651

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread IMG_6899

Jeep Wrangler JL StarboardMs 2020 JLUR StingYay Build Thread 20231017_173207

Had a ton of fun, second day was far more relaxing. Sadly, I did need a tug on two small bits. First was just a stupid line, and I got hung up on my belly pan. Second time was on those infamous stair steps. Again, belly pan.

That ended up being a pretty common theme for the week, but thats to be expected as I really dont have much lift. Im actually lower than most of the XJs on 35s, and a longer wheelbase, so that breakover angle was not my friend.
Sponsored