Sponsored

Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons)

Roverboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had a Series Landrover, aluminum body/steel frame, addiction for many years. These trucks had spent 20 plus years in Hawaii's corrosive environment, salt in the air and acid rain from the volcano, and survived. The factory did virtually nothing to insulate the aluminum from the steel. Yes there was some areas that were noticeably more corrosion prone. but a little electricians tape to insulate the aluminum frame from the steel body mounts cured those problems. The big corrosion problem was the steel parts. Have the remains of one needing to be cut up that actually had the frame break in two from corrosion.

If you are worried about galvanic corrosion put some non conducting material between the bumper and steel. A heavy coat of paint on the steel worked but electrical tape or caulk also did a good job. Wish the Rock Hard bumper came unpainted with hard coat anodization. With the anodizing there'd be no maintenance in keeping up a paint finish.
Same here had a 1995 LR NAS D90 here in NE for 23 years. Galvanic corrosion at the door hinges etc over time. When I rebuilt I had steel door frames hot dipped galvanized and the saperated with tape. Corrosion was faitly minor given 23 years of NE salt.

FYI first post here to the forum, just ordered my first Jeep last week 2022 JLUR, that's replacing a 2019 Tacoma TRD OR Access cab.
Really excited and looking forward to the new Jeep!
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That is really good to hear. From my research that seems pretty universal for the rockhard bumpers. The quality and ease of install seems to really be top notch. This is how I have been leaning for a while now. I just want to be sure.
Thanks again! :like:
The issue with the RH4x4 Patriots is they took a lot of short-cuts:

No crush area in the bumper as the frame ends are right behind the front aluminum plate - you can see the 4 bolts retaining it. This means any front hit will transfer into the frame rails. Most bumpers have a false front so some crush area. This also looks ugly with all those bolts sticking out - the made in your garage look.

Take a look at LOD or one of the other plate steel bumpers and you will see this double wall construction that none of the aluminum guys seem to do - just a plate bolted to the front of the frame rails.

I really hope LOD gets into aluminum - the rumor was they were.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
Take a look at LOD or one of the other plate steel bumpers and you will see this double wall construction that none of the aluminum guys seem to do - just a plate bolted to the front of the frame rails.
I see the double wall on the LOD - but it's really just a steel plate that spaces the bumper out - much like the tube spacers that others use. I don't see it as a crumple zone. I think it would take a lot of force and maybe the welds would break or the steel would tear at the weld points.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Here’s a vote for GenRight aluminum. When it comes to aluminum, it’s all about the alloy. Some aluminum is weak and easily bent. The harder alloys are amazing.

I have the factory steel bumper in front, which is in stubby form with custom molded Kydex covers on the end caps to protect the backs of the lights from getting packed with mud and debris. My rear bumper is a steel Warn Elite with the swing out tire carrier. It’s stout and American made, and the carrier is a very smart design, but mounting it is a huge pain in the ass, and it’s heavy.

My brother went with 100% GenRight aluminum — for rock rails, fenders, and bumpers. He saved a TON of weight And his rear tire carrier is a breeze to load and unload, because he doesn’t have to match studs to holes while holding the tire-wheel combination at chest height. His Jeep is the yellow one below. He spent much more money, and got a much better package.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 5BBD2998-5669-416C-8128-A416C5A58C00

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) CB8BE320-F50F-46AC-B3EC-71161280446C

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 260DB4F4-CAB9-49FC-B051-085E460EA8A9

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 66FADED9-5239-4B41-94E1-1951C4216F25

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 4396BE43-C5BC-447E-96C2-C7E01080331B

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 6A48913B-A2B9-4F62-AE3E-D6AD4A1B9FC4

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 4E269B5D-4E2A-40B2-9BB7-A1B28644908D

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 1A4ED446-09CA-482C-9213-7A99041B64B4

9DA06CB2-D7AE-4056-AE76-C2267B633E9E.jpeg

D27E1403-7871-4B68-9BCD-3A515727AD91.jpeg

8EB01F9E-7034-455F-864E-AD9082507366.jpeg

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I see the double wall on the LOD - but it's really just a steel plate that spaces the bumper out - much like the tube spacers that others use. I don't see it as a crumple zone. I think it would take a lot of force and maybe the welds would break or the steel would tear at the weld points.

Am I misunderstanding something?
Look at factory bumper - they go through some lengths to isolate the frame rail ends from the contact surface.

LOD and many others do the same.

The front "plate" style like the Patriot does not.

You want something that can crumple and take the initial shock before it gets transferred into the frame rails. The more that can be absorbed the better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Look at factory bumper - they go through some lengths to isolate the frame rail ends from the contact surface.

LOD and many others do the same.

The front "plate" style like the Patriot does not.

You want something that can crumple and take the initial shock before it gets transferred into the frame rails. The more that can be absorbed the better.
I agree 100% and did think of that during my research. But.....

I liked the looks and the features of the Rockhard bumpers the best (front and rear - and I really don't like when two different brands of bumpers are used) , and in the end since I am modifying it anyway, I am not that worried about it.

But yes, this really should be considered when picking out your bumpers. Having it isolated from the frame like the factory does would be more ideal as far as safety goes.

However, for strength for offroad and winching, I would think direct connection to the frame would be better. Which is why I made the choice I made because I do use it. I could be wrong... it would absolutely not be the first time haha!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I agree 100% and did think of that during my research. But.....

I liked the looks and the features of the Rockhard bumpers the best (front and rear - and I really don't like when two different brands of bumpers are used) , and in the end since I am modifying it anyway, I am not that worried about it.

But yes, this really should be considered when picking out your bumpers. Having it isolated from the frame like the factory does would be more ideal as far as safety goes.

However, for strength for offroad and winching, I would think direct connection to the frame would be better. Which is why I made the choice I made because I do use it. I could be wrong... it would absolutely not be the first time haha!
Yes, and for towing also probably better. Again I hope we see more aluminum options in the future...

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Great info, appreciate it. Has your brother caught this area on a rock yet and how has it held up?

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 5BBD2998-5669-416C-8128-A416C5A58C00
He has not -- but Sean and Christina at "Lyft Offroad" (in Glenwood Springs, Colorado) build jeeps, and lead trial rides all over Colorado and Utah, and they have the GR stuff on at least one of their Jeeps, and their Jeeps get a huge amount of abuse. They're still enthusiastic fans.
Sponsored