Sponsored

Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons)

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Hello all,
So I am trying to decide on bumpers and have pretty much narrowed it down to either Rockhard 4x4 aluminum bumpers, or Rugged Ridge Arcus (or possibly Spartacus) stamped steel.

I feel like the weight would be similar (trying very hard to keep this Jeep from being a heavy metal tank like my last one)

Being in the northeast I need to be concerned with rust issues so obviously that one goes to the aluminum, but even the mopar bumpers are stamped steel so perhaps I am over thinking that end of things.

I am a little concerned on the strength of the stamped steel, but really like the look when compared to most regular aftermarket bumpers.

Also like the price of the rugged ridge compared to the rock hard, but I am a little concerned if it is not a case of you get what you pay for?

Any other possible pros and cons that I am missing?

Thank you in advance -
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Being in the northeast I need to be concerned with rust issues
Yep, you sure do. Whatever company you go with and whatever material (steel or aluminum), make sure the company has gone the lengths to properly coat their product to minimize corrosion.

Mopar parts get a lot of flak here for price and sometimes strength but their products generally wear better over time and season changes.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Stamped steel, as the name suggest, it is made by stamping so it can form different contours, generally speaking stamped steel bumpers look nice because they have that kind of designing feels. Downside is stamped steel bumpers generally are not as strong as a chunk of solid metal, but most solid metal bumpers also look like someone made out of their garages.

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All valid points.
That is part of why I am hesitating on ordering the rock hard 4x4 aluminum bumpers. They look good, the reviews are great, but they still seem kind of "been done before" to me.
I just don't know. Between the front and rear, and the winch, etc. this is a pretty pricey decision either way.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The Patriot aluminum’s are top notch products, Very solid, look good, easy install, including lights, and they are very light (not a lot more weight than the plastic takeoffs). Finish seem very good as well. I love mine. I looked at a LOT of bumpers, and read a TON of reviews before I decided and I’d encourage you to do the same. An awful lot of aftermarket bumpers have issues (install, figment, finish). In most case you get what you pay for. There are tons of cheap Chinese imports out there so caveat emptor!

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Patriot aluminum’s are top notch products, Very solid, look good, easy install, including lights, and they are very light (not a lot more weight than the plastic takeoffs). Finish seem very good as well. I love mine. I looked at a LOT of bumpers, and read a TON of reviews before I decided and I’d encourage you to do the same. An awful lot of aftermarket bumpers have issues (install, figment, finish). In most case you get what you pay for. There are tons of cheap Chinese imports out there so caveat emptor!
That is really good to hear. From my research that seems pretty universal for the rockhard bumpers. The quality and ease of install seems to really be top notch. This is how I have been leaning for a while now. I just want to be sure.
Thanks again! :like:

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
Does anyone worry about galvanic corrosion with aluminum bumpers, skid plates and other add-ons?

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone worry about galvanic corrosion with aluminum bumpers, skid plates and other add-ons?
I have not ....until now. Thanks a lot! :crying:
No seriously though, I have only briefly heard of it and in all reality I can't honestly say that I Completely understand it.
I will research some more. Thank you

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

I had a Series Landrover, aluminum body/steel frame, addiction for many years. These trucks had spent 20 plus years in Hawaii's corrosive environment, salt in the air and acid rain from the volcano, and survived. The factory did virtually nothing to insulate the aluminum from the steel. Yes there was some areas that were noticeably more corrosion prone. but a little electricians tape to insulate the aluminum frame from the steel body mounts cured those problems. The big corrosion problem was the steel parts. Have the remains of one needing to be cut up that actually had the frame break in two from corrosion.

If you are worried about galvanic corrosion put some non conducting material between the bumper and steel. A heavy coat of paint on the steel worked but electrical tape or caulk also did a good job. Wish the Rock Hard bumper came unpainted with hard coat anodization. With the anodizing there'd be no maintenance in keeping up a paint finish.

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a Series Landrover, aluminum body/steel frame, addiction for many years. These trucks had spent 20 plus years in Hawaii's corrosive environment, salt in the air and acid rain from the volcano, and survived. The factory did virtually nothing to insulate the aluminum from the steel. Yes there was some areas that were noticeably more corrosion prone. but a little electricians tape to insulate the aluminum frame from the steel body mounts cured those problems. The big corrosion problem was the steel parts. Have the remains of one needing to be cut up that actually had the frame break in two from corrosion.

If you are worried about galvanic corrosion put some non conducting material between the bumper and steel. A heavy coat of paint on the steel worked but electrical tape or caulk also did a good job. Wish the Rock Hard bumper came unpainted with hard coat anodization. With the anodizing there'd be no maintenance in keeping up a paint finish.
Wow that is really good to know.
Seriously, Thanks very much for the info. It is very possible you just saved me and many others some real frustration in a few years or so. :like:

Sponsored

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
in Aerospace we deal with dissimilar metals all the time. Here are the simple secrets to preventing galvanic corrosion:
1) use high quality (read not hardware store) hardware. Bolts should be stainless or really well coated with a corrosion preventative coating such as listed below:
https://www.fastenermart.com/understanding-fastener-platings-and-finishes.html

2) Teflon, plastic, or rubber washers between metal mating surfaces and behind the heads of bolts

3) as mentioned above quality finishes on the parts (powder coated, ect).

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in Aerospace we deal with dissimilar metals all the time. Here are the simple secrets to preventing galvanic corrosion:
1) use high quality (read not hardware store) hardware. Bolts should be stainless or really well coated with a corrosion preventative coating such as listed below:
https://www.fastenermart.com/understanding-fastener-platings-and-finishes.html

2) Teflon, plastic, or rubber washers between metal mating surfaces and behind the heads of bolts

3) as mentioned above quality finishes on the parts (powder coated, ect).
Awesome info!
Thanks so much, really apprecaite it! :like:

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Was on the fence too, price convinced me. Aluminum bumper I liked, if damaged, required an entire replacement, the steel Arcus only needed a new stamped piece of steel since the mounting is not all one piece. (hardware stacks/sandwiches). Think the replacement steel is like $150 to your door. (Call RR to confirm, it’s been a while).

I live near the ocean, plenty of beach time (salt), I wash it when I get home, wd40 to get the water out of the joints, no rust (going on 8 months). It’s work though, but I have OCD, so I don’t mind.

Good luck đź‘Ť

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 272F4A60-4623-4732-8A37-0DC4839A0258

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 065E045C-65EA-461A-8237-52BC3E2620E9

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was on the fence too, price convinced me. Aluminum bumper I liked, if damaged, required an entire replacement, the steel Arcus only needed a new stamped piece of steel since the mounting is not all one piece. (hardware stacks/sandwiches). Think the replacement steel is like $150 to your door. (Call RR to confirm, it’s been a while).

I live near the ocean, plenty of beach time (salt), I wash it when I get home, wd40 to get the water out of the joints, no rust (going on 8 months). It’s work though, but I have OCD, so I don’t mind.

Good luck đź‘Ť

Jeep Wrangler JL Stamped steel vs aluminum bumpers (pros and cons) 065E045C-65EA-461A-8237-52BC3E2620E9

Wow that looks good!
This is why I am dragging my feet on just ordering the rock hard bumpers. The RR Arcus series really looks good to me.
Really looks awesome, and thanks for sharing

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Was on the fence too, price convinced me. Aluminum bumper I liked, if damaged, required an entire replacement, the steel Arcus only needed a new stamped piece of steel since the mounting is not all one piece. (hardware stacks/sandwiches). Think the replacement steel is like $150 to your door. (Call RR to confirm, ita

Good luck đź‘Ť
Wow that looks good!
This is why I am dragging my feet on just ordering the rock hard bumpers. The RR Arcus series really looks good to me.
Really looks awesome, and thanks for sharing
I don’t like how so many aftermarket companies plaster their logo on everything they make. The RR Arcus has zero name branding and almost looks like it is a factory (mopar) product.
Sponsored